MD Arms 20 rd drum feeding problem

Hi Guys:

Took my new drum to the range yesterday using 2 1/2" Federal #4 Buckshot with regular brass. Would not feed with the drum fully loaded. I then put 6 of the same shells in a 10 round mag and it worked fine. I then put 5 of the same shells into the drum and that also worked fine.

Is the spring tension too tight - it works with 5 rounds but not 20 loaded in the drum ? I have read about other solutions ( new gas plug, polishing parts, etc). I had the gas plug set to 1 according to instructions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. :ph34r:

I took my drum out today for the first time and for the first 40rounds mine did the same thing. The last 5 or 6 work the the other 15 every round failed to eject, So I tried what I read on this site the other day and put 19 rds in and pushed up and down a bunch of times. After that my drum ran perfect. Grab up some cheap ammo and break it in.

Run 3 or 4 full drum loads of the cheap walmart bird shot through and then try the buckshot again. After you try that, if it still does it you might try backing the spring off 1/3 or 2/3 then try again with the buckshot.

CJG

Run 3 or 4 full drum loads of the cheap walmart bird shot through and then try the buckshot again. After you try that, if it still does it you might try backing the spring off 1/3 or 2/3 then try again with the buckshot.

CJG

I think that's backwards. If you look at the manual, the lower tension on the spring settings is used with lighter loads. These aren't light loads, I'd guess his rounds aren't rising quickly enough into the ramp to get picked up which would be due to inadequate upward pressure. Break in as havoc reported and greater spring tension should both make the rounds rise faster into the feed ramps.

Your correct i was confused, because i read where "havoc" said he had a failure to eject so i thought that was the issue, but it was a different poster all together. I still would try and break the drum in with a 100 rounds or so and see if it feeds a little faster. maybe try giving the spring like 1/3 more tension. I know its already at 3 turns, but i think mike said he went up to 3 and a half or more and then finally started having problems with reliabilty, 3 and 1/3 should be ok. if still no go, then you need the gun fixer gas nob to regulate the gas down, that will bring the carrier cycling speed down to where it should be and then the drum will be able to supply the rounds fast enough. the gas knob is only 35 bux and its a really nice piece, makes adjusting the regulator really easy, well worth it.

CJG

Edited by rotortuner

Sounds reasonable. I was having some issues with one of mine so I tried siliconing the inside and loading it to 19 and pushing the top shell in and out. It certainly seems to have let the mechanism work more freely. Still have to go test it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm doing the break-in thing and will try it soon.

I found another issue while cleaning my gun today. There is quite a bit of friction between the bolt carrier and the hammer as it cycles. I actually have to find a way to hold the hammer down to re-assemble after cleaning. This could be causing other problems too.

I read somewhere about "polishing" the bottom of the bolt trigger and the bolt carrier. How is this done ? I have a dremel tool. How much should I take off and how much should those parts be rubbing in a well functioning gun ?

Thanks Again.

I found another issue while cleaning my gun today. There is quite a bit of friction between the bolt carrier and the hammer as it cycles. I actually have to find a way to hold the hammer down to re-assemble after cleaning. This could be causing other problems too.

That sounds normal actually. Normally you do have to press down on the hammer when you reassemble. Can you describe it in a bit more detail please?

Here's a thread on polishing

Edited by Glocker
  • 3 weeks later...