Why should you convert your Saiga?

Intro:

Your Saiga is made in the same plant, by the same people, and on the same lines as all Russian AK's. The 74's, the AKMs, the 100 series, etc, are all made at Izhmash, the Russian factory where Mr. Kalashnikov still works. Yes, the man that designed the AK-47 still works there. Now look on the side of your gun, it says Izhmash on it and has their arrow in a triangle symbol. Now is when you can crack an evil smile.

Importation/Legality:

In order to be imported into this country, it had to be neutered. It had to be in "sporting configuration" to be importable by law. That is why all the cool guns are made in the United States, or imported in a neutered form, or totally unavailable. The Saiga is only imported at this time, so they all start out with a conventional stock manner, which is NOT the way they are supposed to be configured. They put a plate over the trigger hole on the bottom of your receiver. Underneath that plate is the trigger, which has the lever part where your finger would go removed, it is just the mechanical portion of it left behind. So your trigger/sear, disconnector, and hammer are all in place where they should be. The problem is that the trigger you actually pull is connected to a bar... and that bar pulls the actual trigger. Ridiculous? OH YEAH. But it is how they have to import them thanks to our laws. It is 100% legal by Federal law to "convert" your Saiga to regular AK setup, which is quite easy to do. It is just removal of two pins, and your fire control group, which just slide in and out. The pins you need to remove are rivets though, so you have to grind their ends off to push them out. Then you need to get a trigger guard, either screw on or weld on, and put on your new furniture.

Some states, I know Connecticut and New York are in this group, still have elements of the 1994 gun ban in their state laws. They say that any semi auto magazine fed shotgun cannot have a pistol grip below the receiver of the gun. Ruins your plans I bet. Well it didn't ruin mine. You can put on a one piece skeleton stock or thumbhole stock to get around that and still get great ergonomics.

Once you do this, OR attach a magazine of over 5, at 10, or over 10 round capacity? edit this out later, you are putting your gun in a "non-sporting configuration". This means you have to comply with Federal law 922r. Yes, this means if you saw a gun store with a 12 round Surefire mag in their gun, they were breaking federal law. Seriously. Don't use it until you have the right American made parts in your gun, or you could go to jail. I'm not joking, and I am not mistaken.

922r:

This law states that you cannot have more than 10 imported parts within a list of parts that are important. Check this website for easy check on this:

922r worksheet: http://www.thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

If you want to use higher capacity magazines on your Saiga shotgun, you have to replace other parts to make it legal by Federal law. Might as well convert, buddy. You're going to be replacing stuff anyway.

Ok, that's all well and good... but WHY SHOULD I CONVERT?

Upside:

~Removes complication from your fire control group.

~Improves every aspect of trigger pull. You get lighter pull, less friction, better feel, less slack, etc etc etc. Pulling a trigger rather than pulling a lever that tilts a bar that pulls the real trigger isn't the best setup.

~Puts the gun in the configuration that was intended.

~Improves ergonomics.

~Cuts the length of your gun by 4-5 inches. You also get to pick your Length of Pull by choosing from all the AK stocks in the world, which vary from American use (long) to Asian use (short).

~Puts the center of gravity closer to your body, making the gun more controllable.

~It will point better.

~It will aim faster.

~Recoil will be handled better.

~Some find a pistol grip makes getting back on target much easier and faster. I am one of those. So is every military on the planet.

~You get to use high capacity magazines such as the MD-20 20 round drum with no legality issues from the Federal government.

~If you do it yourself, you'll get some pride and a detailed knowledge of how everything works.

~You get in the secret club. We'll teach you the handshake later.

~And finally, chicks dig it.

Downside:

~The parts do cost money.

~The labor either costs money or your own time.

~There are only two downsides.

~Stop looking for a downside.

Edited by Twinsen
  • Like 9
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Intro: Your Saiga is made in the same plant, by the same people, and on the same lines as all Russian AK's. The 74's, the AKMs, the 100 series, etc, are all made at Izhmash, the Russian factory wher

Modern Warfare, I must ask that you please cease and desist using an animated gif of my wife as your avatar.

Yeah, let's half ass it, why not? We don't take pride in a job well done in Amerika anymore do we comrade?     There's a reason the world has progressed beyond using "vintage" military firearms.

Posted Images

I don't know what the exact wording on the mag limit for "sporting configuration" is (10 or more, or greater than 10). Also, I said LOP is shortened 4-5", when it's the length of the gun that is shortened that much. LOP is dependent on the stock.

Edited by Twinsen

Nice write up! Now everyone bookmark it and use it as your standard response when the guys come on here and look for validation on why they should not restore their firearm.

Damn I sick of that! :angry:

It was stickied within minutes. Thanks for the words guys.

But seriously, for the sticky, does 922r apply at "over 5 rounds", at 10 rounds, or "over 10 rounds" of mag capacity for shotguns? I looked it up on the net and got all sorts of answers. I know Bob Ash once gave a solid number, but I'm not going to be able to find that thread. Either way, BATFE says "high capacity" magazine. So the number is probably a precedence somewhere, or gotten from letters from BATFE or something. Money says Bob Ash or Tony Rumore know this one off the top of their head.

For now, I have to advise people to be 922r compliant with anything over 5 rounds. 11 is too much for pistols and rifles, at that point they are "high capacity" for sure. Shotguns are either at that level or lower.

I'm not your legal counsel, don't do anything you think may be illegal.

Edited by Twinsen
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for the positive info... I'm convinced. Now, is there any good spot out there where someone has listed concensus choices for (current/new) FCG hardware? Also, as an example, I see Danzig has several of each kind of gizmo to choose from. How do I know what of a particular part to get? I hear things about 25% reduced springs and 1 or 2 blah blah trigger groups. I don't have a clue what to get and what works best. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Intro:

Your Saiga is made in the same plant, by the same people, and on the same lines as all Russian AK's. The 74's, the AKMs, the 100 series, etc, are all made at Izhmash, the Russian factory where Mr. Kalashnikov still works. Yes, the man that designed the AK-47 still works there. Now look on the side of your gun, it says Izhmash on it and has their arrow in a triangle symbol. Now is when you can crack an evil smile.

Importation/Legality:

In order to be imported into this country, it had to be neutered. It had to be in "sporting configuration" to be importable by law. That is why all the cool guns are made in the United States, or imported in a neutered form, or totally unavailable. The Saiga is only imported at this time, so they all start out with a conventional stock manner, which is NOT the way they are supposed to be configured. They put a plate over the trigger hole on the bottom of your receiver. Underneath that plate is the trigger, which has the lever part where your finger would go removed, it is just the mechanical portion of it left behind. So your trigger/sear, disconnector, and hammer are all in place where they should be. The problem is that the trigger you actually pull is connected to a bar... and that bar pulls the actual trigger. Ridiculous? OH YEAH. But it is how they have to import them thanks to our laws. It is 100% legal by Federal law to "convert" your Saiga to regular AK setup, which is quite easy to do. It is just removal of two pins, and your fire control group, which just slide in and out. The pins you need to remove are rivets though, so you have to grind their ends off to push them out. Then you need to get a trigger guard, either screw on or weld on, and put on your new furniture.

Some states, I know Connecticut and New York are in this group, still have elements of the 1994 gun ban in their state laws. They say that any semi auto magazine fed shotgun cannot have a pistol grip below the receiver of the gun. Ruins your plans I bet. Well it didn't ruin mine. You can put on a one piece skeleton stock or thumbhole stock to get around that and still get great ergonomics.

Once you do this, OR attach a magazine of over 5, at 10, or over 10 round capacity? edit this out later, you are putting your gun in a "non-sporting configuration". This means you have to comply with Federal law 922r. Yes, this means if you saw a gun store with a 12 round Surefire mag in their gun, they were breaking federal law. Seriously. Don't use it until you have the right American made parts in your gun, or you could go to jail. I'm not joking, and I am not mistaken.

922r:

This law states that you cannot have more than 10 imported parts within a list of parts that are important. Check this website for easy check on this:

If you want to use higher capacity magazines on your Saiga shotgun, you have to replace other parts to make it legal by Federal law. Might as well convert, buddy. You're going to be replacing stuff anyway.

Upside:

~Improves every aspect of trigger pull. You get lighter pull, less friction, better feel, less slack, etc etc etc. Pulling a trigger rather than pulling a lever that tilts a bar that pulls the real trigger isn't the best setup.

~Improves ergonomics.

~Cuts the length of your gun by 4-5 inches. You also get to pick your Length of Pull by choosing from all the AK stocks in the world, which vary from American use (long) to Asian use (short).

~Puts the center of gravity closer to your body, making the gun more controllable.

~It will point better.

~It will aim faster.

~Some find a pistol grip makes getting back on target much easier and faster. I am one of those. So is every military on the planet.

~You get to use high capacity magazines such as the MD-20 20 round drum with no legality issues from the Federal government.

~If you do it yourself, you'll get some pride and a detailed knowledge of how everything works.

Downside:

Downside:

Remember, hobbies don't count toward any real money-making time, you can't say that spending 10 hours on your hobby is like losing 10 hours of work... well unless your work is your hobby, then you have a hell of a tax write off :)

• Like 1

Great write up.

I just wanted to add, in Connecticut a pistol grip and full conversion is legal. You can not however, add a folding stock and a pistol grip (evil features).

Fixed stock pistol grip Saiga = ct legal.

Dumb but true :)

Edited by davepars7

No it isn't, Dave. The law is that you can only have one of the following in a semi auto shotgun:

-removable magazine

-pistol grip

-internal magazine with a capacity over 5 rounds

-folding/collapsing stock

As the Saiga is a semi automatic shotgun with a detachable magazine to start with, it cannot have any of the other three items on that list.

Link to the law:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

Wait. There's a secret handshake!? :huh::D

psst, umpbay iringfay

Thank you so much for the positive info... I'm convinced. Now, is there any good spot out there where someone has listed concensus choices for (current/new) FCG hardware? Also, as an example, I see Danzig has several of each kind of gizmo to choose from. How do I know what of a particular part to get? I hear things about 25% reduced springs and 1 or 2 blah blah trigger groups. I don't have a clue what to get and what works best. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Dinzag has a FCG that is modified for use with the BHO, so you can keep that. That's what I went with, and I'd advise that to you.

1 or 2 hook triggers are no big deal. Just get a 1 hook, that way you don't have to cut your receiver. AK-47's once had two hooks in case one broke, but it turns out they never do.

I haven't bothered with reduced springs, my gun works.

Buy a Saiga-12, field strip it, and then pull the trigger and watch stuff move. Recock the hammer when it flies up and watch it as many times as it takes to understand it. Get a Saiga-12 FCG, cut off your rivets, pull out all the parts, and follow a conversion tutorial. By the end of that you'll know everything about your gun.

There are also people that will do this work for you, or Cobra here runs a business of answering specific questions on people's builds.

Edited by Twinsen

Ok, I have a few questions. I am not new to building and modifying firearms. I have built / modified pistols, rifles, AK's and now it is time for the saiga. I have a saiga 12 which I just acquired and would like to modify it. I would like a some pointers on what I need to purchase other than the obvious parts. Thank you in advance for the input.

mods desired.

HK sights

shorten barrel and add breaching muzzle break

ACE side folding stock

pistol grip

UTG quad rail system

Questions

do I need a new FCG when I add the pistol grip?

Are there instructions or templates available for moving of the FCG?

Are there any + - to the ACE stock?

There are three of us doing this mod. Pix will be posted of the progress.

Thanks again

Ok, I have a few questions. I am not new to building and modifying firearms. I have built / modified pistols, rifles, AK's and now it is time for the saiga. I have a saiga 12 which I just acquired and would like to modify it. I would like a some pointers on what I need to purchase other than the obvious parts. Thank you in advance for the input.

mods desired.

HK sights

ACE side folding stock

pistol grip

UTG quad rail system

Questions

Thanks again

You will need to move the FCG. It will make the gun better. There are tons of how-tos out there. The problem is that no one of them answers every question about every possible build. An FAQ to do so would be 100 pages long. You're looking to take parts from 10 different companies and mix and match. There is a Conversion section of this forum, check it out. You'll find tons of stuff. And yeah, you're gonna have to look around.

There are instructions. When I did mine, I used one of the videos that a member posted of how to do it (there are at least a couple). I also had full instructions that came with the FCG from Dinzag, and full instructions that came with my triggerguard from Tromix. My parts didn't go together as-is, so none of the tutorials covered it perfectly. It's ok though, because it's a very simple FCG. Dig right in, and even if you're a total moron you'll be able to do it. You cut off one end of the rear rivet pins, and punch them out. Then you do the same with the plate covering the real trigger hole. Then you pull out everything and put it back in with the new parts.

Tools: punch, dremel, screwdriver. A vice would come in handy, they run $20 at a hardware store.

I know nothing about folding stocks, they're illegal in my state.

Edited by Twinsen

mods desired.

HK sights

ACE side folding stock

pistol grip

UTG quad rail system

Questions

Thanks again

You will need to move the FCG. It will make the gun better. There are tons of how-tos out there. The problem is that no one of them answers every question about every possible build. An FAQ to do so would be 100 pages long. You're looking to take parts from 10 different companies and mix and match. There is a Conversion section of this forum, check it out. You'll find tons of stuff. And yeah, you're gonna have to look around.

There are instructions. When I did mine, I used one of the videos that a member posted of how to do it (there are at least a couple). I also had full instructions that came with the FCG from Dinzag, and full instructions that came with my triggerguard from Tromix. My parts didn't go together as-is, so none of the tutorials covered it perfectly. It's ok though, because it's a very simple FCG. Dig right in, and even if you're a total moron you'll be able to do it. You cut off one end of the rear rivet pins, and punch them out. Then you do the same with the plate covering the real trigger hole. Then you pull out everything and put it back in with the new parts.

Tools: punch, dremel, screwdriver. A vice would come in handy, they run $20 at a hardware store.

I know nothing about folding stocks, they're illegal in my state.

Thx for the info, will search around a bit here then order the parts. will probably go with the ACE folder as I like it the best.

Why haven't I done it yet? What if i simply dont want to convert? I like my S12 the way it is. It fits me perfect. I like it better than my Rem 1100. I shot a 98 last time i took it out on the trap range. Plus The over under snobs shake their heads in total disgust when you take it out of the case. They like it even less when you out shoot them.

I bough my S12 to hunt with and shoot a little trap. A 24" with folding stock, pistol, grips, door buster muzzle brake, 20 round drum Just ain't my idea of a "Fudd gun" 24". It Would not be that great for CQC either. ( I do have hi cap mags and my S12 is 922r compliant so I guess you could say it is semi converted)

I even have more plans for my 24" " semi conversion". Wood Furniture is coming soon. I really like the looks of wood on AKs

I have nothing against conversions. I think they are very cool. But it just is not what I bought my S12 for.

I hope you guys forgive me for keeping my S12 in its sporting configuration.

Edited by tommygunner

You're still one of the gang!

A lot of guys love their conversions so much, they want to "convert" peoples's opinions about converting.

• Like 1
Why haven't I done it yet? What if i simply dont want to convert? I like my S12 the way it is. It fits me perfect. I like it better than my Rem 1100. I shot a 98 last time i took it out on the trap range. Plus The over under snobs shake their heads in total disgust when you take it out of the case. They like it even less when you out shoot them.

I bough my S12 to hunt with and shoot a little trap. A 24" with folding stock, pistol, grips, door buster muzzle brake, 20 round drum Just ain't my idea of a "Fudd gun" 24". It Would not be that great for CQC either. ( I do have hi cap mags and my S12 is 922r compliant so I guess you could say it is semi converted)

I even have more plans for my 24" " semi conversion". Wood Furniture is coming soon. I really like the looks of wood on AKs

I have nothing against conversions. I think they are very cool. But it just is not what I bought my S12 for.

Nothing wrong with wood furnature, it'll help balance the gun, and you'll apreciate the feel of wood instead if the cheap factory sporter stock.

converting isn't about CQC in every case either. I would like to make a duck/turky only gun, starting with a 24" saiga adding a poly choke, using a SLR-95 stock, and doing a real tree style paint job on it. it would be converted, but no lazers/flashlights...ect.

This thread was made as a place to point people who ask, "Should I convert?" My answer is pretty much Yes to everybody. If you converted, you'd have a better trigger at the very least. I don't care if anybody decides to keep their gun the way it came from the factory. But if they ask for help, I'm going to shove the benefits of a conversion in their face.

As far as how it improves your gun, yes, those benefits are the same. The trigger on all of these guns is funky in order to be imported legally.

But as far as I know, California is the only state where a converted Saiga rifle would be illegal. In CT, 7.62x39 AKs are illegal in any form, but .223 and .308 ones can be bought and converted.

I believe for 922r compliance you need to replace the FCG with the 3 American parts, and:

~Replace 2 of the following with American parts: pistol grip, hand guard, stock, muzzle device

or

~Use only American magazines

Why haven't I done it yet? What if i simply dont want to convert? I like my S12 the way it is. It fits me perfect.

This pretty much sums up my position on converting. I even went as far as filling the "cheap" polymer stock so now it feels solid, sturdy and more like a shotgun should feel. My trigger is just like the one in my other AK variants, with the exception of the cantilever. Once you squeeze the trigger to the point of resistance, it has the same crispness as any other AK. It works. So convert until your heart's content.....just don't try to convince everone that comes along that their S12 is inferior unless they convert. It just ain't so.

In fact, the S12 should be a new episode of Mythbusters. Coverted vs. Unconverted :P

Edited by TheDarkHorse
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Did I or am I going to convert my Saiga?

Nope.

It IS heavily modified with different sights, folder w/pistol grip, muzzle brake, MD-20 drum, Gunfixr gas knob, Red Dot etc.

I didn't like it the way it came out of the box but I sure do like it now!

Intro:

Importation/Legality:

922r:

Upside:

~Improves ergonomics.

~It will point better.

~It will aim faster.

Downside:

Hello men,

I am just wanting to ask a question, I am getting a little older and maybe I have lost some of my testicular fortitude, but suppose I don't convert my Saiga, will it be less reliable, I mean with the more complex trigger system? Will longevity suffer?

Sorry about the stupid questions but I just wanted to ask those who know.

Thanks

Hello men,

I am just wanting to ask a question, I am getting a little older and maybe I have lost some of my testicular fortitude, but suppose I don't convert my Saiga, will it be less reliable, I mean with the more complex trigger system? Will longevity suffer?

Sorry about the stupid questions but I just wanted to ask those who know.

Thanks

No. It's fine as-is.