Why should you convert your Saiga?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Intro: Your Saiga is made in the same plant, by the same people, and on the same lines as all Russian AK's. The 74's, the AKMs, the 100 series, etc, are all made at Izhmash, the Russian factory wher

Modern Warfare, I must ask that you please cease and desist using an animated gif of my wife as your avatar.

Yeah, let's half ass it, why not? We don't take pride in a job well done in Amerika anymore do we comrade?     There's a reason the world has progressed beyond using "vintage" military firearms.

Posted Images

Citypol, from my experience, take the easy way out, and just put an ACE or a Tapco pistol grip conversion on the shotgun, and add the additional needed parts to make it legal.

Yeah, let's half ass it, why not? We don't take pride in a job well done in Amerika anymore do we comrade?

This is a shotgun, not a target rifle, and this repeated claim that the trigger pull is lousy just doesn't fly with me, if you are used to shooting military rifles with long slow trigger pull the Saiga series as is, is no worse, especially if you compare it to some vintage firearms.

There's a reason the world has progressed beyond using "vintage" military firearms.

I have also heard a "Balance" argument, but, it kind seem moots to be concerned about "balance" when you have a 12 round, 18" long magazine sticking out the bottom, or, have a 5 pound, 20 round drum hanging out of it.

Some of us are content using Russian 5, and 8 rounders. For people like me, the whole balance argument is hardly a moot point.

Ergonomics are vastly improved too when you convert it back into it's intended form, but by all means keep living in the 20s. You know, when Ergonomics were "good" if you had an "English" stock made out of crude materials.

The other thing is that the conversion, places the shotgun firmly in non sporting configuration.

IF, there is ever a push to make pistol grip Saiga's illegal, or to regulate them as a destructive device, in 10 minutes, an ACE or Tapco stock can be removed, and sans a high cap mag, you are back to sporting legality, it may not matter if that IS the case, but, better a fugly gun in your hand, than a buried gun in the ground.

The second amendment doesn't say anything about "sporting purposes" if you haven't already noticed.

It continues to amaze me that all these "bad asses" buying military firearms, well aware of their political status, and intended use, are always the first ones to roll over and comply when Uncle Sam comes for their guns.

Nothing to see here, just another middle aged man having his midlife. Buying weapons that belong in the hands of the young, and driving up prices to the point where the people who are in shape, and willing to actually use weapons like that can't afford them.

Mine isn't getting buried, or hidden, it's getting used should that time come.

That's all I have to say to someone like you.

Citypol, from my experience, take the easy way out, and just put an ACE or a Tapco pistol grip conversion on the shotgun, and add the additional needed parts to make it legal.

Yeah, let's half ass it, why not? We don't take pride in a job well done in Amerika anymore do we comrade?

This is a shotgun, not a target rifle, and this repeated claim that the trigger pull is lousy just doesn't fly with me, if you are used to shooting military rifles with long slow trigger pull the Saiga series as is, is no worse, especially if you compare it to some vintage firearms.

There's a reason the world has progressed beyond using "vintage" military firearms.

I have also heard a "Balance" argument, but, it kind seem moots to be concerned about "balance" when you have a 12 round, 18" long magazine sticking out the bottom, or, have a 5 pound, 20 round drum hanging out of it.

Some of us are content using Russian 5, and 8 rounders. For people like me, the whole balance argument is hardly a moot point.

Ergonomics are vastly improved too when you convert it back into it's intended form, but by all means keep living in the 20s. You know, when Ergonomics were "good" if you had an "English" stock made out of crude materials.

The other thing is that the conversion, places the shotgun firmly in non sporting configuration.

IF, there is ever a push to make pistol grip Saiga's illegal, or to regulate them as a destructive device, in 10 minutes, an ACE or Tapco stock can be removed, and sans a high cap mag, you are back to sporting legality, it may not matter if that IS the case, but, better a fugly gun in your hand, than a buried gun in the ground.

The second amendment doesn't say anything about "sporting purposes" if you haven't already noticed.

It continues to amaze me that all these "bad asses" buying military firearms, well aware of their political status, and intended use, are always the first ones to roll over and comply when Uncle Sam comes for their guns.

Nothing to see here, just another middle aged man having his midlife. Buying weapons that belong in the hands of the young, and driving up prices to the point where the people who are in shape, and willing to actually use weapons like that can't afford them.

Mine isn't getting buried, or hidden, it's getting used should that time come.

That's all I have to say to someone like you.

That post was from 2009, but +1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought mine the Monday before Thanksgiving, converted it this past Wednesday. The difference in trigger pull was amazing. The overall feeling of the weapon was much better even over the stock/PG quicky conversion I did the first week I had it. Took me about 2 hours to convert but it was well worth it. I didn't use the sheperds crook but the retaining plate instead. Touched up the non painted part with Birchwood Casey black, the flat black one was too flat. Now it shoots and handles much like my old beat up AK-47. I just feels right and looks right.

It is a 2011 S12.

Edited by Fallschirmjager45
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I am a first saiga 12 owner. Just got her and so far so good. I am looking to do some mods and the first thing I wanna do is the conversion. Can anyone suggest a shop to send it to and get it done at a fare price? Also looking at some rail systems. Whats a good one to get that wont wrap or do any weird shit while under fire. Baisclly I am wanting to know whats out there and not make alot of bad purchases. Thanks for the help...

As I always say.

Gun permit??? The Second Admendment is my gun permit...

One nation Under God...

Ragard,

Chad

Edited by profive0

~You get to use high capacity magazines such as the MD-20 20 round drum with no legality issues from the Federal government.

All makes sense accept the above (to one confused young man.) No legality issues? MD arms drum is completely US made parts, so what would be the issue with throwing that on a fresh-out-of-the-box saiga?

Maybe 922r doesnt make sense to me....I thought whatever we take off (the factory extremely functional yet boring stock, persay) can be replaced with any American made stock, and there would be no issue. Wouldnt switching magazines to MD arms be the same concept (magazine for US-made magazine)?

Hello guys,

I am a first saiga 12 owner. Just got her and so far so good. I am looking to do some mods and the first thing I wanna do is the conversion. Can anyone suggest a shop to send it to and get it done at a fare price? Also looking at some rail systems. Whats a good one to get that wont wrap or do any weird shit while under fire. Baisclly I am wanting to know whats out there and not make alot of bad purchases. Thanks for the help...

As I always say.

Gun permit??? The Second Admendment is my gun permit...

One nation Under God...

Ragard,

Chad

I wouldn't pay a shop...do it yourself bro...plenty of tutorials here and on YouTube - so easy, a cave man can do it! The stock is simply screwed on, and if you can operate a drill, removing the rivets is no problem...then the trigger group and trigger guard assembly can be removed...the hardest part is deciding how you want to configure your shotgun...what type of stock: traditional AK straight stock, side folder and/or collapsible, an AR style or AK style, etc...what kind of pistol grip: Molot, SAW, traditional AK, AR style, etc...what type handguard...leave it stock, Galil style, AK style, custom aluminum railed like the Chaos, etc...it took me maybe 20 minutes or so to remove the stock, drill out the rivets and remove the internals and trigger guard...took about three weeks of browsing the internet and looking at pictures of other converted Saiga's and finally deciding on how I wanted mine to look. There's just sooooo many different ways - that's the beauty of it! Then price shop for the best deals. There's a few sites dedicated to selling Saiga parts, and also Gunbroker and other auction sites too. The replacement parts pretty much drop in/bolt on without any modification to your receiver. Anyway, good luck with your project!

~You get to use high capacity magazines such as the MD-20 20 round drum with no legality issues from the Federal government.

All makes sense accept the above (to one confused young man.) No legality issues? MD arms drum is completely US made parts, so what would be the issue with throwing that on a fresh-out-of-the-box saiga?

Maybe 922r doesnt make sense to me....I thought whatever we take off (the factory extremely functional yet boring stock, persay) can be replaced with any American made stock, and there would be no issue. Wouldnt switching magazines to MD arms be the same concept (magazine for US-made magazine)?

As far as 922r goes, it basically says this: If you change the weapon from it's sporter configuration in any way then your total US parts count, for the parts that matter, has to then be five or more. With that being said, IF you decide to go back to your Russian mag and you leave some parts on the weapon, then, since the gun has still been altered it still has to be compliant even with the Russian mag. That's why myself and a bunch of other members here make sure our parts count are 8 or more because then we can use whatever mag we want...

Edited by Caged

I wouldn't pay a shop...do it yourself bro...plenty of tutorials here and on YouTube - so easy, a cave man can do it! The stock is simply screwed on, and if you can operate a drill, removing the rivets is no problem...then the trigger group and trigger guard assembly can be removed...the hardest part is deciding how you want to configure your shotgun...what type of stock: traditional AK straight stock, side folder and/or collapsible, an AR style or AK style, etc...what kind of pistol grip: Molot, SAW, traditional AK, AR style, etc...what type handguard...leave it stock, Galil style, AK style, custom aluminum railed like the Chaos, etc...it took me maybe 20 minutes or so to remove the stock, drill out the rivets and remove the internals and trigger guard...took about three weeks of browsing the internet and looking at pictures of other converted Saiga's and finally deciding on how I wanted mine to look. There's just sooooo many different ways - that's the beauty of it! Then price shop for the best deals. There's a few sites dedicated to selling Saiga parts, and also Gunbroker and other auction sites too. The replacement parts pretty much drop in/bolt on without any modification to your receiver. Anyway, good luck with your project!

Seriously!

Deciding on what I want is the toughest part. I kinda would like to spend good money on a finished product, done right the first time, but an excellent conversion co, but part of me whats to customize it partially myself, but not fark it up, lolZ.

Decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I saw this the only law I knew of is in Virginia having a folding stock and a drum magazine holding more than ten rounds falls under the street sweeper law sorry don't know title or section code now I know USA is the way not to go to jail

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be afraid to do it yourself, it really is something you could do yourself. You are grinding the end off of two rivet pins and pushing them out, then letting parts fall out. Then you push new parts in. There's no measuring or cutting or anything that would take any effort or know-how.

Yeah I did my conversion in my living room since I live in an apartment, about 2 hours total. I was gonna keep it in sporting configuration but after reading on this forum I changed my mind, thanks guys!!

• 2 weeks later...

Intro:

Your Saiga is made in the same plant, by the same people, and on the same lines as all Russian AK's. The 74's, the AKMs, the 100 series, etc, are all made at Izhmash, the Russian factory where Mr. Kalashnikov still works. Yes, the man that designed the AK-47 still works there. Now look on the side of your gun, it says Izhmash on it and has their arrow in a triangle symbol. Now is when you can crack an evil smile.

Importation/Legality:

In order to be imported into this country, it had to be neutered. It had to be in "sporting configuration" to be importable by law. That is why all the cool guns are made in the United States, or imported in a neutered form, or totally unavailable. The Saiga is only imported at this time, so they all start out with a conventional stock manner, which is NOT the way they are supposed to be configured. They put a plate over the trigger hole on the bottom of your receiver. Underneath that plate is the trigger, which has the lever part where your finger would go removed, it is just the mechanical portion of it left behind. So your trigger/sear, disconnector, and hammer are all in place where they should be. The problem is that the trigger you actually pull is connected to a bar... and that bar pulls the actual trigger. Ridiculous? OH YEAH. But it is how they have to import them thanks to our laws. It is 100% legal by Federal law to "convert" your Saiga to regular AK setup, which is quite easy to do. It is just removal of two pins, and your fire control group, which just slide in and out. The pins you need to remove are rivets though, so you have to grind their ends off to push them out. Then you need to get a trigger guard, either screw on or weld on, and put on your new furniture.

Some states, I know Connecticut and New York are in this group, still have elements of the 1994 gun ban in their state laws. They say that any semi auto magazine fed shotgun cannot have a pistol grip below the receiver of the gun. Ruins your plans I bet. Well it didn't ruin mine. You can put on a one piece skeleton stock or thumbhole stock to get around that and still get great ergonomics.

Once you do this, OR attach a magazine of over 5, at 10, or over 10 round capacity? edit this out later, you are putting your gun in a "non-sporting configuration". This means you have to comply with Federal law 922r. Yes, this means if you saw a gun store with a 12 round Surefire mag in their gun, they were breaking federal law. Seriously. Don't use it until you have the right American made parts in your gun, or you could go to jail. I'm not joking, and I am not mistaken.

922r:

This law states that you cannot have more than 10 imported parts within a list of parts that are important. Check this website for easy check on this:

922r worksheet: http://www.thegunwik...erifyCompliance

If you want to use higher capacity magazines on your Saiga shotgun, you have to replace other parts to make it legal by Federal law. Might as well convert, buddy. You're going to be replacing stuff anyway.

Ok, that's all well and good... but WHY SHOULD I CONVERT?

Upside:

~Removes complication from your fire control group.

~Improves every aspect of trigger pull. You get lighter pull, less friction, better feel, less slack, etc etc etc. Pulling a trigger rather than pulling a lever that tilts a bar that pulls the real trigger isn't the best setup.

~Puts the gun in the configuration that was intended.

~Improves ergonomics.

~Cuts the length of your gun by 4-5 inches. You also get to pick your Length of Pull by choosing from all the AK stocks in the world, which vary from American use (long) to Asian use (short).

~Puts the center of gravity closer to your body, making the gun more controllable.

~It will point better.

~It will aim faster.

~Recoil will be handled better.

~Some find a pistol grip makes getting back on target much easier and faster. I am one of those. So is every military on the planet.

~If you do it yourself, you'll get some pride and a detailed knowledge of how everything works.

~You get in the secret club. We'll teach you the handshake later.

~And finally, chicks dig it.

Downside:

~The parts do cost money.

~The labor either costs money or your own time.

~There are only two downsides.

~Stop looking for a downside.

I have been reading over the 922 issues and I am confused. I need help to understand what I can and need to modify on my new Saiga to make it legal. Below is a picture of the Saiga I bought this past weekend....I had them add the quad rails while I was there. It came with a 5 round mag but they also gave me a 10 round mag.

my new babygirl

I want to make sure it is legal so I need to know what I need to do to it... Last night I ordered this Tapco Intrafuse stock set which I understand is fine because it was made in USA....

http://dpharms.com/p...28black~29.html

as well as this Phantom flash hider which was also made in USA .... http://dpharms.com/p...lash_hider.html

so once I recieve those and change out the butt factory stock and put on the Intrafuse then add the flash hider on my saiga, how many imported parts will I have and are there any others that I need to modify? I am a newbie and I need clarifications. I really appreciate it :)

Amanda

New guy to the blog, so I'm not sure where to ask this. Maybe I'll start a topic. I'm looking to buy from a guy who says he will convert to 922r compliance and give you the option of:

1- Installing a low brass kit

2- Modifying the ports and plugs

Not sure which option to choose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FULLY convert my S-12? But I'm scurred. What if I saw my hands AND my gun in half!? Ha, j/k

I put this off and already put a quite a bit of $ into mine. I should have made this step #1

Anyone have a recommendation on which fire control group would be best to install? I would be willing to spend a little extra on top quality parts that increase reliability.

I like to think of every little work I do with my Saiga as a mini adventure happy.png

Intro:

Your Saiga is made in the same plant, by the same people, and on the same lines as all Russian AK's. The 74's, the AKMs, the 100 series, etc, are all made at Izhmash, the Russian factory where Mr. Kalashnikov still works. Yes, the man that designed the AK-47 still works there. Now look on the side of your gun, it says Izhmash on it and has their arrow in a triangle symbol. Now is when you can crack an evil smile.

Importation/Legality:

In order to be imported into this country, it had to be neutered. It had to be in "sporting configuration" to be importable by law. That is why all the cool guns are made in the United States, or imported in a neutered form, or totally unavailable. The Saiga is only imported at this time, so they all start out with a conventional stock manner, which is NOT the way they are supposed to be configured. They put a plate over the trigger hole on the bottom of your receiver. Underneath that plate is the trigger, which has the lever part where your finger would go removed, it is just the mechanical portion of it left behind. So your trigger/sear, disconnector, and hammer are all in place where they should be. The problem is that the trigger you actually pull is connected to a bar... and that bar pulls the actual trigger. Ridiculous? OH YEAH. But it is how they have to import them thanks to our laws. It is 100% legal by Federal law to "convert" your Saiga to regular AK setup, which is quite easy to do. It is just removal of two pins, and your fire control group, which just slide in and out. The pins you need to remove are rivets though, so you have to grind their ends off to push them out. Then you need to get a trigger guard, either screw on or weld on, and put on your new furniture.

Some states, I know Connecticut and New York are in this group, still have elements of the 1994 gun ban in their state laws. They say that any semi auto magazine fed shotgun cannot have a pistol grip below the receiver of the gun. Ruins your plans I bet. Well it didn't ruin mine. You can put on a one piece skeleton stock or thumbhole stock to get around that and still get great ergonomics.

Once you do this, OR attach a magazine of over 5, at 10, or over 10 round capacity? edit this out later, you are putting your gun in a "non-sporting configuration". This means you have to comply with Federal law 922r. Yes, this means if you saw a gun store with a 12 round Surefire mag in their gun, they were breaking federal law. Seriously. Don't use it until you have the right American made parts in your gun, or you could go to jail. I'm not joking, and I am not mistaken.

922r:

This law states that you cannot have more than 10 imported parts within a list of parts that are important. Check this website for easy check on this:

922r worksheet: http://www.thegunwik...erifyCompliance

If you want to use higher capacity magazines on your Saiga shotgun, you have to replace other parts to make it legal by Federal law. Might as well convert, buddy. You're going to be replacing stuff anyway.

Ok, that's all well and good... but WHY SHOULD I CONVERT?

Upside:

~Removes complication from your fire control group.

~Improves every aspect of trigger pull. You get lighter pull, less friction, better feel, less slack, etc etc etc. Pulling a trigger rather than pulling a lever that tilts a bar that pulls the real trigger isn't the best setup.

~Puts the gun in the configuration that was intended.

~Improves ergonomics.

~Cuts the length of your gun by 4-5 inches. You also get to pick your Length of Pull by choosing from all the AK stocks in the world, which vary from American use (long) to Asian use (short).

~Puts the center of gravity closer to your body, making the gun more controllable.

~It will point better.

~It will aim faster.

~Recoil will be handled better.

~Some find a pistol grip makes getting back on target much easier and faster. I am one of those. So is every military on the planet.

~If you do it yourself, you'll get some pride and a detailed knowledge of how everything works.

~You get in the secret club. We'll teach you the handshake later.

~And finally, chicks dig it.

Downside:

~The parts do cost money.

~The labor either costs money or your own time.

~There are only two downsides.

~Stop looking for a downside.

I have been reading over the 922 issues and I am confused. I need help to understand what I can and need to modify on my new Saiga to make it legal. Below is a picture of the Saiga I bought this past weekend....I had them add the quad rails while I was there. It came with a 5 round mag but they also gave me a 10 round mag.

I want to make sure it is legal so I need to know what I need to do to it... Last night I ordered this Tapco Intrafuse stock set which I understand is fine because it was made in USA....

http://dpharms.com/p...28black~29.html

as well as this Phantom flash hider which was also made in USA .... http://dpharms.com/p...lash_hider.html

so once I recieve those and change out the butt factory stock and put on the Intrafuse then add the flash hider on my saiga, how many imported parts will I have and are there any others that I need to modify? I am a newbie and I need clarifications. I really appreciate it smile.png

Amanda

I forget where that info is on how many compliant parts you have to change out. I think it's only 4 parts that must be changed into US made parts BEFORE you can change the butt stock to a pistol grip or move the fire control group or add a forward vertical grip.

It sounds like you have 3 US made parts so far. You know that buying any US made magazine equals 3 922 compliant parts. The magazine body, the follower, and the floor plate. Swap out the gas puc for a US made one. Attach a new muzzle brake/flash hider.

The Saiga haz 15 foreign parts, you may have no more than ten. FCG counts for three, mag counts for three, butt-stock is one, pistol grip doesn't matter unless it's foreign, puck is one, barrel attachment is one, fore-grip is one, operating rod (piston) is one. Change these listed parts at will...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just recently got my S-12, and the first thing I did was take off the muzzle attachment, put on an adjustable stock with pistol grip, and put the factory mag away for the time being. Got a couple of 10 round mags and took it out to play with it. New FCG parts are on my birthday list, so in a couple weeks I'll do the conversion and not have to worry about using the factory mag in the compliance count.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...