I read a rant from Jugs the other night that was right on the money and awe-inspiring. I checked back the next day and it was gone. :ded: I even looked in the Fight Club forum, but to no avail. Anyway, there was mention of a break in procedure on a Saiga 12 before you did the conversion. I have been lurking here for a couple of months and do not recall anything mentioned about breaking in the shotgun BEFORE you convert it. It makes a lot of sense to me. If there is a thread already out there in this vast storehouse of knowledge, could someone point me in the right direction. Thanks! Jugs, you can expect an order for a Right Wing Extremist shirt shortly.

Yeah, I think I remember this. I think what started it was that a new S-12 owner had his converted before firing it at all and once he received it back it didn't work. It was found that it wasn't the converter's fault but something FUBAR'd with the manufacturing and now that he had converted it he couldn't take it back to the shop he bought it from. Something like that...don't know why it was deleted.

It's been debated before. Personally I think you should make sure it runs to begin with, especially if you're doing it yourself or if it's just a straighforward conversion. If it's something like a Tromix SBS conversion, well, the gun is going to get reworked so much anyway I think it's less important.

Yeah, I think I remember this. I think what started it was that a new S-12 owner had his converted before firing it at all and once he received it back it didn't work. It was found that it wasn't the converter's fault but something FUBAR'd with the manufacturing and now that he had converted it he couldn't take it back to the shop he bought it from. Something like that...don't know why it was deleted.
I think the owner did all the conversion work before he ever shot it, then found out it was a 2 holer and had to send it in for warranty after all the work was done. He had welded it up nice and used Alumicoat II on it and had the HK sights IIRC. Was that the one? I don't know if all the added stuff would void the warranty, since the whole thing was about the gas ports, but I could be sadly mistaken. But yes, you should always dump a couple hundred rounds through it first it sounds like. Edited by BronCobraJet

Always shoot the hell out of it first. Both to assure proper function AND to gain familiarity with the gun. You will have a much better idea what you want to do with it after a couple hundred rounds of familiarization.

Some of us find we like it just the way it is, others will convert, but you will never know what you want if you never shoot the damn thing!