20ga 8- & 10-round factory mags

factory 20ga mags  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you be more interested in?

• 8-rnd 70mm
    • 8-rnd 76mm
    • 10-rnd 76mm

I'm seeing that Izhmash makes 8-round mags for the S-20 in both 70mm and 76mm, as well as 10-round mags in 76mm. What is the most desirable option for those of you who shoot the 20ga?

where can I get these factory mags? I haven't been able to locate them, not even http://www.raacfirearms.com/accessories.htm

Due to the current laws, if RAAC were to carry those magazines, Saigas would no longer be importable.

They are in a "gray area", legally, as far as importation.

What laws? This is a pet peeve of mine and is not in any way a slam against Nailoth, a guy who I've seen in my limited time here offer up some pretty awesome advice. It might seem like it but really it's not. I promise.

Speaking as someone who's imported noncompliant parts and had customs go over them with a fine toothed comb personally in the last few months...

Is not a gray area to import and sell non-922r compliant parts. Is purely legal. If anything RAAC is just doing CYA from BATFE intimidation. There is nothing stopping people from importing 922 noncompliant parts. At all. I can go to numrich or whatever right now and buy non-us made pg's all day.

I can import non-us made furniture that would place an ak, ar, fal, whatever out of "sporting purposes" all I want. K-var does this all the time among others.

I imported 2 saiga 20 8 round mags this last February and had them seized by US customs for review. They let them out after 30 days because they had no reason to keep them (this from conversations with CBP over the issue when I was asking if I needed to file a claim).

Legally an 8-10 round s20 mag is the exact same as a non us made pg or whatever- it's a foreign made part that is listed on 922.

Just importing or possessing those parts is NOT a violation of 922. What is a violation is assembling them into a non-compliant weapon. If it were a legal gray area to import 922-listed parts then K-var, Century, SOG and many others would have been out of business a long time ago.

Logging into the century catalog just now I see that there are a bunch of non-compliant parts for sale, not just assembled 922-r compliant weapons with non compliant parts made up for other us parts. Same with SOG.

The only reason RAAC doesn't carry those mags is that they're doing some good CYA. Even if someone were to import those mags en masse legally the problem wouldn't be 922r at all any more than it's a problem for k-var to import a bazillion bulgy ak mags or numrich to sell a buttload of HK g3 mags. I imagine that no one simply wants to make the capital investment required to import that many mags AND to go through the customs fun and games that are required once you have to declare that high dollar amount of stuff for commercial retail. I also imagine that lingering fears over DD reclassification have some people hesitant. But 922?

Nah.

It wouldn't make the saigas unimportable. Got some other examples to show:

The VZ-58 clones coming in with the thumbhole stocks- these are coming in with thumbhole stocks and double stack mag wells. They will accept the military vz-58 mags as well as the US made ones shipped out with them. There ARE vz-58 clones that are single stack but the ones I've seen most are double.

Yet there were a bunch of vz 58 mags on the market way before the civvy legal semis started hitting these shores. The milsurp mags are still available and the vz-58 is still importable.

I'm looking at 922 right now and I can't see where a company importing both non-sporting parts and a sporting firearm as defined by 922 makes the sporting firearm unimmportable- only the assembly and import of an actual non-sporting firearm seems to be covered. And we know from BATFE letters that mere possession of noncompliant parts along with a compliant rifle does not a violation make.

So go ahead and import from rusmilitary all you want, OP. Might get held up at customs but they will have to let the item go as long as the DECLARED value (not actual) is under a certain amount and it's not an actual non sporting firearm or other prohibited item (nfa or w/e). Worst case scenario you get to file a claim but the burden lies on customs to prove that the items are nonimportable and looking at 922r...they are. And they were. This is why I can now go have lots of fun with my 8 round s20 mags.

Also...

Didn't Gabe Suarez import a bunch of factory s12 mags and sell them for 100 a pop awhile back? He's not in club fed. And for a good reason. He can't be for it.

Now if RAAC were to ship the guns with the hicap mags and only the hicap mags? Even though possession does not equal noncompliant weapon I can still see how that could end up bad since unless you ship with compliant parts and mags you're ensuring that most customers WILL be assembling a noncompliant weapon the first time they insert a magazine.

But the imported saigas and mags imported on a separate ticket are two totally different physical entities. As long as RAAC has their normal import papers in order the other stuff is fine. Hence century being able to import romy ak mags along with compliant wasr's. And some of those wasr's do come with US made mags from century because century uses whatever compliant parts it has on hand to build the rifles as they come in for stripping down and reassembly. Have seen century guns with differing 922 parts from different runs.

Try www.rusmilitary.com for factory stuff. Only place I've seen it on a regular basis and even then it's spotty. There's just not a big market for the s20 I'm afraid. Just check back like once a month and make sure that you play the compliant parts game when you decide to actually assemble your weapon into a non sporting configuration. Just because you can legally import, buy and sell the parts doesn't mean that you can legally assemble them without some precautions.

O yeah and to get back on topic- the 8 round 70mm's.. I have two. They are freaking awesome for allowing hicap use of cheap shells.

well, I guess I will answer the above post -

If Clyde were to have even ONE SINGLE mag beyond 5 rounds, in shotgun, or beyond ten rounds for rifles, in a container with these guns, or in his warehouse as company stock, it would be a clear violation of importation law.

Also, if any company wanted to bring these mags in, from russia, they would be told that RAAC is the exclusive factory contact in the USA, and they would have to have them do it on thier behalf, which brings us back to what I just said.

It isnt intimidation. RAAC bringing in muzzle attachments, or hi cap mags, from Russia, would violation importation tax stamp laws, and in doing so, it would make these firearms non-sporting imports. As would them giving permission for a company to import them from russia for distribution.

Further - if you attach one of the factory hi caps to a stock gun, you are in violation of federal law as well.

The only reason RAAC doesn't carry those mags is that they're doing some good CYA. Even if someone were to import those mags en masse legally the problem wouldn't be 922r at all any more than it's a problem for k-var to import a bazillion bulgy ak mags or numrich to sell a buttload of HK g3 mags. I imagine that no one simply wants to make the capital investment required to import that many mags AND to go through the customs fun and games that are required once you have to declare that high dollar amount of stuff for commercial retail. I also imagine that lingering fears over DD reclassification have some people hesitant. But 922?

Nah.

It wouldn't make the saigas unimportable. Got some other examples to show:

The VZ-58 clones coming in with the thumbhole stocks- these are coming in with thumbhole stocks and double stack mag wells. They will accept the military vz-58 mags as well as the US made ones shipped out with them. There ARE vz-58 clones that are single stack but the ones I've seen most are double.

Yet there were a bunch of vz 58 mags on the market way before the civvy legal semis started hitting these shores. The milsurp mags are still available and the vz-58 is still importable.

What you aren't considering is that the virgin imported Arsenal rifles and Vz58s are wearing "special" 10 round only magazine wells. You CANNOT use a milsurp mag in these virgin imports.

Arsenal and TGI open up the mag wells and add US parts for 922r compliance before they're sold (and capable of using your "milsurp" mags).

Also...

Didn't Gabe Suarez import a bunch of factory s12 mags and sell them for 100 a pop awhile back? He's not in club fed. And for a good reason. He can't be for it.

<snip>

Try www.rusmilitary.com for factory stuff. Only place I've seen it on a regular basis and even then it's spotty. There's just not a big market for the s20 I'm afraid. Just check back like once a month and make sure that you play the compliant parts game when you decide to actually assemble your weapon into a non sporting configuration. Just because you can legally import, buy and sell the parts doesn't mean that you can legally assemble them without some precautions.

Nobody is stopping YOU or ME from importing 1000s of Russian 30 round Saiga .223 or 7.62x39 mags or 8 or 10 round Russian shotgun mags and selling them. WE're not RAAC.

What bvamp said. . .

Edited by nalioth
  • 5 weeks later...
Nobody is stopping YOU or ME from importing 1000s of Russian 30 round Saiga .223 or 7.62x39 mags or 8 or 10 round Russian shotgun mags and selling them. WE're not RAAC.

Would Izhmash sell thousands of new magazines to a group of enthusiasts? I don't know if they would be keen on a group-buy situation.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided not to get an S-20, so there are 10 of these new mags up for auction now on GunBroker.com, along with a rifled Paradox choke. Also 3 of the 5-round 2 3/4" mags I picked up lightly used. I guess it would be smart to get the gun before the accessories next time... Got more factory 8s for the S12 than I needed, too, so those are up on that site as well.

Links:

S20 mags:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133259891

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133263841

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133265900

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133268620

S20 Paradox

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133266358

Edited by GunClinger
  • 2 weeks later...
Decided not to get an S-20, so there are 10 of these new mags up for auction now on GunBroker.com, along with a rifled Paradox choke. Also 3 of the 5-round 2 3/4" mags I picked up lightly used. I guess it would be smart to get the gun before the accessories next time... Got more factory 8s for the S12 than I needed, too, so those are up on that site as well.

Links:

S20 mags:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133259891

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133263841

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133265900

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133268620

S20 Paradox

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133266358

i have bid on one of the 2 3/4 mags......i've been looking for these for a while.....if they dont sell shoot me a pm and i may be able to buy more

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...