Need Help Removing FSB

Does anyone know an easy way to remove the FSB on the S308? I tried using a small punch to pound out the pins but it wouldn't go. I'm punching it from the left side. I seems like thats the small end of the pins rather than the right side. Am I wrong? Haven't tried punching it from the right side yet. I'm afraid of hurting the barrel if I wack it too hard.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you're wondering, I'm removing the FSB to put on a muzzle brake.

Thanks.

Whack it harder. Yes most pins seem to go in only one way. As you mentioned you see the one with a smaller diameter side thats the side to push from.

If anything get a torch and try heating the fsb and cooling the barrel at the same time by having some ice on it. It usually works for me when i get a stubborn part.

Now if you have a pneumatic press thats a different story.

The pins WILL come out without resorting to a torch.

Just keep at it.

Now the FSB itself my be a little tight.

On mine, it just took a couple of taps froma wooden mallet on the rear of the block and it slid right off.

Edited by Will

I plan to do exactly the same.

Being from NJ, I can't have a threaded brake, it needs to be welded. I have done some welding in the past but never on a gun barrel.

What's the recommended welding method? Alternatively, I will have to locate a gunsmith.

Which muzzle brake is good that's weld-on type? I like the look of the Tantal brake, but that comes in threaded ...

I gave up on trying to push the pins out so I drilled them out. Now that I have it out, I've wacked at the FSB several times and it wouldn't budge. I hate to bring out a torch. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the FSB knocked off? Could I cut it off?

Please help.

Thanks.

I gave up on trying to push the pins out so I drilled them out. Now that I have it out, I've wacked at the FSB several times and it wouldn't budge. I hate to bring out a torch. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the FSB knocked off? Could I cut it off?

Please help.

Thanks.

I think Cobra suggested that you cut-off on the bottom portion of the FSB. Use a Dremel or equivalent cut-off wheel and cut the FSB off without cutting through the barrel (!). Then pry using a cold-chisel and open-up that sucker, then knock-off using a non-marring instrument (wood-block + hammer) against FSB back to front.

I haven't tried this, so don't know how this will work. YMMV.

Good luck.

Please help.

Thanks.

I think Cobra suggested that you cut-off on the bottom portion of the FSB. Use a Dremel or equivalent cut-off wheel and cut the FSB off without cutting through the barrel (!). Then pry using a cold-chisel and open-up that sucker, then knock-off using a non-marring instrument (wood-block + hammer) against FSB back to front.

I haven't tried this, so don't know how this will work. YMMV.

Good luck.

Okay, I did it. I took a cut-off wheel to the FSB and cut along the bottom on the centerline. I tried to cut as little as possible. Once I got far enough, I wedged a flat head screw driver in the cut to pry it open. It wiggled a bit but still wouldn't budge forward. I pryed it again and it wiggled some more. After that, I took a rubber mallet and strucked it once and it finally came off. Once off, I noticed I had cut a bit into the barrel about .050" into it. I hope it won't hurt the barrel's integrity. I figure since the pin hole on top were grooved at almost .060", my cut should be no less a problem to the barrel than the pin grooves. Besides, wouldn't the threads on the barrel be about .060" or more deep on the barrel?

Now that the FSB is out, I now have to worry about cutting the threads without breaking the alignment tool or the die. Thanks to everyone for the help.