What is your backup to the S12?

Agreed, supressors are nice. It's completely ridiculous that they are illegal unless you jump through all the hoops to own one.

That said though, there's really no supressing either one of my backups...lol.

I dont know if you knew this or not Cobra, but suppressors were invented by a yankee to knock noise level down in populated areas, so they could target shoot without disturbing their neighbors. This was during a time when the entire nation was like the rest of us, and shot (or tried to shoot) regularly. You can thank the criminals for causing them to be regulated.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, supressors are nice. It's completely ridiculous that they are illegal unless you jump through all the hoops to own one.

I dont know if you knew this or not Cobra, but suppressors were invented by a yankee to knock noise level down in populated areas, so they could target shoot without disturbing their neighbors. This was during a time when the entire nation was like the rest of us, and shot (or tried to shoot) regularly. You can thank the criminals for causing them to be regulated.

I don't "thank the criminals" for the ridiculous overregulation of suppressors, I thank the idiots in DC. In this case, as in nearly all others, they've wildly overreacted to a fairly minor problem at the cost of the liberty of law-abiding citizens who believe in exercising their rights under the 2nd Amendment.

Silencers are in the NFA because, during the depression folks were "poaching" game from state and federal lands. After a few of them good old boys got nabbed they took a look at some silencer pics of Hiram Maxim, the rest is history.

You really don't expect us to believe that hogwash do you???

Yankees aren't smart enough to pull that one off!

:haha::haha:

I got enough money in my S12 bedlam and alien invasion SHTF would have to happen before I considered it my primary defense weapon. My primaries are a S&W 9mm pistol with 16 rounds of hollow points upstairs and a taurus 45 with 11 rounds downstairs. Pretty confident in both their utility and wouldn't be too bummed if they got seized as evidence.

My father thinks this logic of "i lost them all" is quite spineless of an approach, just so that you guys know. As he said to me quite a few times (citing this as a main reason he doesnt post here) since this attitude showed itself, "grow a set and put your purses down boys".

LOL, I shit ya not. I kinda have to agree with my dad on this one.

I can understand that as well as I do the logic that says "if it's time to bury/hide them it is time to load them" (which I agree with). I don't understand your father not posting here though. Only posting where folks agree is intellectual incest after a point. See if he'll respond to that. Sounds like a smart guy.

Here's a general recap of the varied replies this thread has received to date: (not scientifically counted)

Calibers (pistol):

45 ACP (8)

45 GAP (1)

9mm (3)

10mm(1)

454 Ruger(1)

.40 S&W(2)

.357 Sig(1)

454 Casull (1)

.357 Mag (1)

Rifle:

5.56 (2)

7.62x39(5)

.308 (2)

6.5mm Grendel (1)

Shotty:

12ga (5)

.410(1)

Other:

Headbutt (1)

Chainsaw(1)

Hammer (1)

Platform:

Glocks are the runaway most popular pistol make (30 for model). S&W next in line.

Mossberg the most popular shotty by far. all except 1 (590) were the 500 model .

post-18302-1242177663_thumb.jpg

Edited by 690gr

Next I would have to say would be my other 12 ga. After that would be my Springfield XD 45 with insight M6X light/laser combo

I will tell you one thing though I would not want to be room mates with the people using a .308, 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, .454, .357

for home defense. Wow talk about over kill. If your using those you better hope you live alone and out in the middle of no where :cryss:

Well as a back up I keep a Mossberg 500 Under the bed with tactical #00 buck or a garden hose with the end caped off filled with sand ? J/k supressed MP5. Or what ever is first in one of the safes usualy an assualt rifle Hk G3 or an ar 15 of some type or an ak they are usualy at the front the safe. or a kukri or the Little pistol that could.

post-17989-1242268156_thumb.jpg

packin.bmp

That's one damn muscular pit, raidersfan! I don't trust the breed, but I definitely respect it.

Yeah, the bigger rifle rounds could definitely be hazardous to those in ajoining rooms. If, for some reason, I had to go to my SGL20 instead of my Glock 30, I guess I'd just yell, "Hit the deck, _insert roommate name here_", right before firing.. then try to aim high and get the burglar fucker in the head/upper chest. Or, if they were close, I s'pose I could just bayonet em. :chris:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
:smoke: ...and my other backup! They better really watch out for this one.... :unsure:

post-1293-1242148378_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1242148392_thumb.jpg

Are you talking about Racegal or the gun she's holding? :rolleyes:

BTW, nice pics. Did she dress up for the shot? :chris:

It was Mother's Day....and both.

And lets not forget DOGS in the tally. If you have a good dog watching your home, you will rarely need to worry about having to break out the guns.

dogs are one of the best deterrants that there is....

however, I live in a tiny ass shithole of an apartment, and if someone were to try to come in, and I were here? youd WANT me to just shoot you.

I know, blah blah big man blah blah

...but you would still be in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.....

now, when dealing with property and actual space? i still feel the 12 gauge is the deciding factor. period.

nothing gets up from 12 gauge 00 buck, and the rest dont feel too good after being pummeled with a brick or rock hammer.....

Here's a general recap of the varied replies this thread has received to date: (not scientifically counted)

Calibers (pistol):

45 ACP (8)

45 GAP (1)

9mm (3)

10mm(1)

454 Ruger(1)

.40 S&W(2)

.357 Sig(1)

454 Casull (1)

.357 Mag (1)

I know I'm up there as a .45 count, but the deciding factor on that was the great deal I got on a very nice pistol. If I were shopping for a HD pistol I'd probably go with a 9mm. From my experience the 9mm are less finicky about brand/type of ammo, and many .45s are reliable when fed RN only. The 9mm typically comes with double the capacity too.

Fortunately my .45 will function with WWB JHP "personal protection" so that's what I keep it loaded with. If it had a problem with that I probably wouldn't own the gun anymore.

Home defense is such a balance, and there are no obvious rules to follow (although there are plenty posted all over the web). The FBI reports, and every website in the world says .380 should not be used for anything, and 10" minimum penetration in ballistics tests is required, but if I'm taking a shot in the dark I don't want something that is going to travel through all the interior walls and 2 exterior walls to find my next door neighbors kid. If any of you are like me, there are neighbors with kids in at least 3 different directions. Some people even live in apartments. I can't imagine the safe shots outnumbering the dangerous shots in an apartment or trailer park.

With that in mind a 12 gauge with 4 buck makes a lot of sense, but then there's the thought that every projectile is a liability. Now, every shot you take has 27 liabilities, and although you have reduced penetration on your side, a 4 buck pellet can go through 2 windows and be a problem.

Just something to think about. Shot placement is important.

I ain't got neighbors close by out here in the sticks. Valid point though for those who do.

My primary is a 40 S&W. The S-12 is very close though.

Those who said the 7.62x39 pistol are crazy, the blast is bad enough outside let alone inside.

my backup... well i guess i could always use my old Ithica 12 gauge Deerslayer (even if i is a hunting gun), I'd try to avoid my rifles, but only because I'd be afraid of it passing through the intruder, my house and into my neighbors.

I don't know if you meant Racegal and Max, because I don't think their muzzles are threaded. :haha: But I know if you meant your S-308 or something you're mistaken. A silencer can take your S-308 from a BOOM to a "crack". A good silencer for .223 or .308 will reduce the report 30-35dB from a non-muzzlebraked gun. A muzzlebrake will add 8-9 dB to the noise. Every 10dB up, you are doubling how loud the gun is. So if you have a muzzlebraked 308, you're making a huge boom. You put a silencer on it, you remove that 8-9dB raise, and you subtract another 30-35dB. So you half the noise 4 and a half times, that's 1/24th as loud as it was before. If you started with a plain .308 with no muzzlebrake, you half the noise 3 and a half times, which is 1/12th as loud as it was before. It's actually quiet enough to stand without ear protection. It will cause damage to your ears if you do it many times though, but it meets OSHA standards of not damaging your hearing, for whatever that's worth.

A good .22LR silencer will do about 43dB reduction and there is no supersonic crack if you use subsonics. And you're starting with something much quieter.

A 9mm pistol takes second place in quiet to .22LR when silenced. You can get them pretty quiet. Like a car door slamming. Loud enough to hear, but nobody would expect that the noise came from a firearm.

Naaa.... you were right the first time... :lolol:

I was referring to Max, Racegal, and my S-12s. I have never seen anything that can keep any of them quiet when they wanna get loud! :angel:

Thanks for the info though. I have shot some suppressed weapons (.22 HK clone, 9mm Beretta, & .223 AR). MUCH fun! You are correct, the 9mm was VERY impressive. My buddy Mike (MCASgt New River) was over here one time with his suppressed Beretta and we were shooting it down into one of the islands in my pond, from right in the driveway. Racegal was about 100 ft away on the front porch and didn't even hear it. First shot sounded like a pellet gun, but after the oxygen was burnt from inside the barrel on that first shot (as it was explained to me) it sounded like a pea shooter. pffft!

Chuck Norris sleeps on my couch downstairs every night. Actually he doesn't sleep. He waits. Eyes open.

I've got a Kel-Tec Sub-2K in Glock 9mm loaded and folded in my nightstand drawer. That's my first line of defense. I absolutely love it. I've got a 9mm handgun loaded up in a drawer at my computer desk in the study. Downstairs, I've got nothing . . . something I need to remedy.

My S12 actually stays in the safe at night.

Well if you are worried about hitting your neighbors kids look into some tactical 12g rounds they will kill you but if one happens to stray it usualy does not go threw more than one sheet of sheet rock in a house :} So you can blast away all thouse zombies and not have to worry about hitting some one in the next room.

My buddy Mike (MCASgt New River) was over here one time with his suppressed Beretta and we were shooting it down into one of the islands in my pond, from right in the driveway. Racegal was about 100 ft away on the front porch and didn't even hear it. First shot sounded like a pellet gun, but after the oxygen was burnt from inside the barrel on that first shot (as it was explained to me) it sounded like a pea shooter. pffft!

pffft...pffft, pffft :devil:

...ah the good ol'days! :smoke:

Edited by MCASgt New River

Yeah, first shots w/ suppressors can be louder, and sometimes even make a visable flash. In the Army, we would spray something like Raid ant killer into the thing to take the O2 away on the first shot. It still could make a puff of mist though, so it's a trade off.