20 Round Double Stack Mags?

A double stacked mag for rimmed straight walled cartridges could happen with the right geometry. However, the machining to actually hold that geometry would make the mags expensive (machined bar stock) and the machinery to make them would be even more expensive.

Then add to the equation that you're taking a double stack mag and feeding into single stack. And not in a simple triangular shape like most pistol mags. No, in order to clear the Saiga mag well it would have to feed into a straight single stack. Closest thing I'm aware of is the double stack Makarov mags.

So yes, it could be done. I can tell you that as a mildly experienced engineer. But the question at this point isn't just how much it would cost - it's how much you would pay someone like me to take the time just to estimate how much it would cost.

A drum, on the other hand, is generally single stack by definition. Even the AK drum mags feed single stack through one side of the mag. It's almost a linear feeding device, just bent 360 degrees. Moulded out of plastic it costs much less than a double stack 20 would. And it exists already.

• Like 1
A double stacked mag for rimmed straight walled cartridges could happen with the right geometry. However, the machining to actually hold that geometry would make the mags expensive (machined bar stock) and the machinery to make them would be even more expensive.

Then add to the equation that you're taking a double stack mag and feeding into single stack. And not in a simple triangular shape like most pistol mags. No, in order to clear the Saiga mag well it would have to feed into a straight single stack. Closest thing I'm aware of is the double stack Makarov mags.

So yes, it could be done. I can tell you that as a mildly experienced engineer. But the question at this point isn't just how much it would cost - it's how much you would pay someone like me to take the time just to estimate how much it would cost.

A drum, on the other hand, is generally single stack by definition. Even the AK drum mags feed single stack through one side of the mag. It's almost a linear feeding device, just bent 360 degrees. Moulded out of plastic it costs much less than a double stack 20 would. And it exists already.

Good post. The 9x18 Makarov is rimless however. I was thinking about the Desert Eagle with .357 Mag but it has a single stack. I think there is too much complexity to overcome to make a reliable double stack mag for rimmed straight walled cartridges in a man portable platform (Gatling gun model 1871 and later was gravity feed into a hopper)

• 10 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/17/2009 at 1:14 PM, GLOCKshooter said:

we need "12 gauge auto" ammo, same as regular 12 ga, but rimless. 12 ga barrels will still work, but we would need new receivers and extractors. It would be great for pumps and semis. Not so good for break action.

Already been done. I have 3. Intrepid ras 12. I need to nut up and have Lee build

me a full bore slug mold. As shotguns they kinda worthless. Weird nose cap made reloads impossible 

You don't need lee's you need these:https://thereloadersnetwork.com/product/svarog-shotgun-italian-slug-mold-with-optional-base-pin/

which give you full bore, plus a reasonably priced Breneke style tail wad. https://thereloadersnetwork.com/product/svarog-shotgun-slug-wads/ It's what we home brewers have wanted all along.