Mrs. Juggs, you NEED a dog! Sophie is my wife's first dog. Her mother had a dog that died before the wife was born. She would never allow another dog in the house after that, and as a result Mrs. G O B never had a dog. She says that of all the mean things her Mother ever did, that was the meanest!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was like loosing a child.... May sound goofy to some... but Dog people know what I'm sayin...

Completely understand, Juggs. They're a major part of our lives and losing one is like losing a member of the family. Actually, losing one IS losing a member of the family.

Sorry ahead of time for the long post...

I lost a good dog last year too. :(

In fact, I've lost two good dogs over the past four years (their ages combined = over twenty years)...and a great cat (10 yrs old), and a wife I was with for 17 yrs (at least she's still alive...).

The point is, I let them all go and got over it the best I could. My friends were all there for me when the time came.

I guess you could say God stepped in and made sure I wasn't gonna do like the last time. When my Rottie died in June of '96, I refused to get another dog. I cheated myself out of the pleasure of raising another best friend, for 12 years, til a couple years ago when I eventually rescued my father's German Shepherd, Max from an awful fate....I couldn't help it...

For all those years I thought NO dog could "replace" Rebel. Well....that was dumb. Fortunately my wife and I still had Smokey, her Dal, and she lived a happy life (13 yrs) til the same year ('05) Joy left the household (in more ways than one), and Bob*cat the same year...

That was a very painful time and it took a lot to get past it. I almost didn't make it, but something finally happened and I pulled through, with help from my good friends here as well.

On my third Valentines day alone, I met Racegal20 and she brought joy back into my life. As a bonus, she even had a cool cat that could keep my lonely Sheba cat company, after having lost her only living brother (out of 5 I had given to friends).

...skip ahead.....

On the day Sandi and I were burying Max #1, a cute little brown dog I had never seen in the area before, just happened upon my property and ran around the whole pond and all over the place as we watched through red swollen eyes at the Pet Graveyard by the creek. She was surveying the land and deciding if she wanted to make it her new home. She was thin and her worn collar was tight around her neck. After running around for awhile, she even came back there to introduce herself to us at Max's gravesite.

We finished his burial and I played Taps on the harp, then we said some words (Sandi, her son Adam and me) and went back up to the house. Little "Brownie" followed and kept hanging around for two more days. We walked her around the neighborhood and asked everyone if they had seen her before. We took her to the vet and had her scanned for an ID chip. She didn't have one.

I finally decided it must be "meant to be", and I started feeding her. She brought us some very much needed smiles and happiness.

We named her Sasha. She was sent here to us when we really needed her. She needed a good home and we were there for her with the best home imaginable for a dog. She needed love, and we needed a new dog to give love to.

She didn't replace Max by any means! But she did fill a terrible void that was left in his wake.

Then...another "miracle?" happened about a month later.

I got an email from a lady on craigs list who was asking if I ever found my German Shepherd. I had posted a desperate ad looking for him...

I had to tell her the very unfortunate news about finding him along the highway, in the median, after spending a solid week posting fliers and driving around calling...looking....checking all the shelters, etc..

Well she said she was very sorry, but still she had this beautiful young large German Shepherd who needed a good home, and she could not keep him. There was also a police officer who wanted to take him for K-9 work, but she wanted him to go to a nice place in the country, where he could just be himself. He's probably got the best "happy go lucky" and mellow temperament, of any Shepherd I've ever had, and I've had many.

So...it's a long story but we did go get him and I named him Max, after my other good buddy.

Now we have to great dogs, instead of two broken hearts....and two lonely dogs found a great home and lifelong friends. Juggs if you and Lorie cheat yourselves out of the opportunity to share your love with another dog, you are also cheating another good dog out of a chance to live a great life like Petey did with you guys. Petey lived a long happy life and you gave him everything he needed.

Please at least check with all your local shelters, and bulldog rescue places, to see if there is another good friend out there just waiting for you two to take him home.

post-1293-1242575693_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1242575714_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1242575755_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1242575775_thumb.jpg

my last dog, "Mr Big", as he liked to be referred to. and one of his cat, that just was killed recently, that he tamed from feral to domestic, around her 18th birthday.....

post-83-1242811669_thumb.jpg

post-83-1242811717_thumb.jpg

I ran out of space, here is the "big dog, big cat", as DC was named eventually. I cannot post the best animal I have ever met, without posting his cat.......here she is on her 18th birthday.....

post-83-1242812156.jpg

post-83-1242812181.jpg

My dog died a few years back, don't know that I can ever replace him.

It's not possible to 'replace' a lost companion. But you CAN enjoy the experience of a new one! :up:

Exactly!!!! Petey ROCKED!!! and I loved him dearly... what made petey great is he was himself.....NO OTHER like 'em..

I have no wish for a clone or a cheap knock off.....

BUT!!!! I think petey would want me to look after another fellow pup as good as I did him....

in turn, the pup will pee on my rug and throw up unexpected times in return.....LOL!!!!

Edit: BTW... Lorie said something in passing about people she knows from the bank have a litter of pups on the way....... ;)

Some of the members here that I'm closer to knew that I was going through a rough time moving into a new place and "loosing" my dog. Well on my birthday I had to actually go and say goodbye. It wasn't a happy time for me and its a shame it had to happen the way it did.

She was my first, but she won't be the last.

Living here comes with two dogs

Another Golden "Abby"

post-1914-1242880797_thumb.jpg

and Bo (or LB which is short for Little Bastard, usually said when he trips you)

post-1914-1242880885_thumb.jpg

Thanks for keeping the thread going

My dog died a few years back, don't know that I can ever replace him.

It's not possible to 'replace' a lost companion. But you CAN enjoy the experience of a new one! :up:

When my last two dogs died within months of each other last year I thought about not getting another dog for a while mainly because I thought it would be like a betrayal of the ones I lost. Like I was trying to replace them in other words. After just a few days I knew I had to get a rescue dog because I needed to make something good come out of losing the other ones. I went down to the pound and the place was loaded up with pitbulls. The only one not barking and making a fuss was this beautiful brindle AmStaff. I read the card on the cage and this dog was originally brought in as a stray, then he was adopted out to some people and brought back again because someone in the family had allergies. The dog had been rejected twice and he looked like it. Just laying there looking dejected. I said thats the dog I want and Jake has been with me ever since. I never felt like I was replacing Annie or Lucy, just making friends with someone who needed a friend. It was the best therapy I could have gotten and something good did come out of the situation.

Here is the wife's Jack Russell. What a handful these dogs are, smart but a handful. She has graduated from Pets Smart obedience school recently and is still a puppy so were working still to get her in line with the others.

Funny part is she is SOOO small/short she can walk completely under my big dog without even lowering her head. My big dog just looks down between his front legs when she does this with a "WHAT THE FUCK??" look on his face...PRICELESS!!

Dads_Home.bmp

When my last two dogs died within months of each other last year I thought about not getting another dog for a while mainly because I thought it would be like a betrayal of the ones I lost. Like I was trying to replace them in other words. After just a few days I knew I had to get a rescue dog because I needed to make something good come out of losing the other ones. I went down to the pound and the place was loaded up with pitbulls. The only one not barking and making a fuss was this beautiful brindle AmStaff. I read the card on the cage and this dog was originally brought in as a stray, then he was adopted out to some people and brought back again because someone in the family had allergies. The dog had been rejected twice and he looked like it. Just laying there looking dejected. I said thats the dog I want and Jake has been with me ever since. I never felt like I was replacing Annie or Lucy, just making friends with someone who needed a friend. It was the best therapy I could have gotten and something good did come out of the situation.

A great, big "AMEN" to this whole post. We get to experience these perfect creations for such a short time, but what we learn with them, we get to pass on to the next ones and help make their lives better. Bless you for rescuing a 'pound dog', especially one like yours who looked dejected lying on the cold, hard floor. They deserve so much more than the treatment that so many of them get. Thanks for giving him a home. :up:

A family without a dog is incomplete. These are our two that bring out the best in us and make for a lot of good times, and a sense of security for times when I'm not home (well, one of them). Just something good about an animal

that just wants to be with you for no real reason. Jamie is a pound pup that was found in a field at 8 weeks and we were able to bring her home at 12. Best guess is Shep/Lab mix but no one knows for sure. When she was a pup the deviding line between the black head and brown body was more pronounced. The old girl is Mocha (Susex Spanial) who just started showing up at my house every Saturday when she was about 6 months old. After the third time we took her home to the owner, and one trip under my Camaro he just gave her to us. Been with us for about 10 years now.

post-1866-1243023699_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1243023778_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1243023795_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

This is Saydee, who thinks she is the Queen of the house. I have had her for almost 7 years and she has flown cross country 4x and driven across 6x in preperation for my past deployments. It's sad when your dog has more Freq Flyer miles then you do...LMAO!!

Chill_n.jpg

Saydee.jpg

Saydee2.JPG

Edited by MCASgt New River