• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Here are our two Scottish terriers. On the far side is McDuff, a full-bred Scottie, 7 years old. On the near side is Demi, 6 yr old female, whom we got from a rescue organization out in Kansas City. Demi had been shut in a dark barn cage for her first four months, and as a result is a bit stunted in her growth. Her fur shows that there is some other breed in her history not too far back.

She is the ALPHA DOG in this family, smaller and younger, or NOT. She tells McDuff what to do and when to do it. (I think she observes how our household operates !!

8139.jpg

Here's their formal Christmas photo with two of the grand-daughters-

3273.jpg

McDuff poses for his Christmas Portrait.

3275.jpg

And finally Duff gets into the snow big-time. He loves the cold weather and she doesn't. During the Summer he'll hug an A/C vent while she lays in the Sun..Winter things are reversed.

4354.jpg

OK That's the family for now.

Edited by Mayor Al

DITTO THAT!!!!

-guido

A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS...

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your

entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me.

Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so. ALWAYS!

~Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without God's critters~

Now pass this on to other pet owners. We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness. It is here on earth and has four legs!

Yes!!! Dammit, Yeah, Cobra and Sandi!!!

Well said. There's no doubt in my mind that dogs were placed here by God to ease Man's suffering. There's also no doubt that they answer to a calling that we may never understand completely, but we can learn a lot by trying.

JMHO, and I'd rather not read any anti-religious B.S. right now....

-guido

Sorry ahead of time for the long post...

I lost a good dog last year too. :(

In fact, I've lost two good dogs over the past four years (their ages combined = over twenty years)...and a great cat (10 yrs old), and a wife I was with for 17 yrs (at least she's still alive...).

The point is, I let them all go and got over it the best I could. My friends were all there for me when the time came.

I guess you could say God stepped in and made sure I wasn't gonna do like the last time. When my Rottie died in June of '96, I refused to get another dog. I cheated myself out of the pleasure of raising another best friend, for 12 years, til a couple years ago when I eventually rescued my father's German Shepherd, Max from an awful fate....I couldn't help it...

For all those years I thought NO dog could "replace" Rebel. Well....that was dumb. Fortunately my wife and I still had Smokey, her Dal, and she lived a happy life (13 yrs) til the same year ('05) Joy left the household (in more ways than one), and Bob*cat the same year...

That was a very painful time and it took a lot to get past it. I almost didn't make it, but something finally happened and I pulled through, with help from my good friends here as well.

On my third Valentines day alone, I met Racegal20 and she brought joy back into my life. As a bonus, she even had a cool cat that could keep my lonely Sheba cat company, after having lost her only living brother (out of 5 I had given to friends).

...skip ahead.....

On the day Sandi and I were burying Max #1, a cute little brown dog I had never seen in the area before, just happened upon my property and ran around the whole pond and all over the place as we watched through red swollen eyes at the Pet Graveyard by the creek. She was surveying the land and deciding if she wanted to make it her new home. She was thin and her worn collar was tight around her neck. After running around for awhile, she even came back there to introduce herself to us at Max's gravesite.

We finished his burial and I played Taps on the harp, then we said some words (Sandi, her son Adam and me) and went back up to the house. Little "Brownie" followed and kept hanging around for two more days. We walked her around the neighborhood and asked everyone if they had seen her before. We took her to the vet and had her scanned for an ID chip. She didn't have one.

I finally decided it must be "meant to be", and I started feeding her. She brought us some very much needed smiles and happiness.

We named her Sasha. She was sent here to us when we really needed her. She needed a good home and we were there for her with the best home imaginable for a dog. She needed love, and we needed a new dog to give love to.

She didn't replace Max by any means! But she did fill a terrible void that was left in his wake.

Then...another "miracle?" happened about a month later.

I got an email from a lady on craigs list who was asking if I ever found my German Shepherd. I had posted a desperate ad looking for him...

I had to tell her the very unfortunate news about finding him along the highway, in the median, after spending a solid week posting fliers and driving around calling...looking....checking all the shelters, etc..

Well she said she was very sorry, but still she had this beautiful young large German Shepherd who needed a good home, and she could not keep him. There was also a police officer who wanted to take him for K-9 work, but she wanted him to go to a nice place in the country, where he could just be himself. He's probably got the best "happy go lucky" and mellow temperament, of any Shepherd I've ever had, and I've had many.

So...it's a long story but we did go get him and I named him Max, after my other good buddy.

Now we have to great dogs, instead of two broken hearts....and two lonely dogs found a great home and lifelong friends. Juggs if you and Lorie cheat yourselves out of the opportunity to share your love with another dog, you are also cheating another good dog out of a chance to live a great life like Petey did with you guys. Petey lived a long happy life and you gave him everything he needed.

Please at least check with all your local shelters, and bulldog rescue places, to see if there is another good friend out there just waiting for you two to take him home.

post-1293-1242575693_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1242575714_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1242575755_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1242575775_thumb.jpg

Not mine, but one of my roommate's dogs. They adopted him from a shelter. Purebred Boxer that someone used to beat the shit out of. He's still kinda skittish with new people, but he's an awesome dog. Makes me want a Boxer for myself, actually.

Me and "Bones" at the beach a couple months back:

EDIT: .....and here's an upclose of his severe underbite. :lolol: It works for him, though.

post-5916-0-82736900-1290548823_thumb.jpg

post-5916-0-04019200-1290549841_thumb.jpg

Edited by -Shooter-

I adopted Kitty only a month after the passing of my Nikki dog, seen in an earlier post in this thread. Didn't plan on getting another dog so soon. I wanted to wait for hunting season to pass, but often times the dog picks us and we just have no choice. She has tested my patience many times but she is worth it.

Last week I left her in the car while running errands, she took offense to being left behind. It was 10pm and in a dark parking lot. When I got to the car after 30 minutes, and sat in my seat, I realized something was Terribly wrong.....so I reach under me and come up with a big handful of dog shit!! Instant Comedy Classic!!! I was pretty dang pissed at the time and wanted to kill the dog, but I gave myself a time-out....cleaned the seat off and drove home sounding like Yosemite Sam!

Thank God for leather seats!

Never sat in shit AND had a handful of it before!!

She is lucky she is so cute!

post-16191-0-36040800-1290550660_thumb.jpg

MY baby Pris:

pris1.jpg

Brought her home from the animal shelter when she was just a fuzzy little black pup. She is now 68lbs, 10 years old, and going strong! Smartest, most sensitive dog I've ever had. And a terror to possums and squirrels!

Automag and McUZI waiting for the BBQ to light up. They like to get a chair early before they are all taken.

Tony

dogs2.jpg

The one on the right looks like a.....Boxer/Rottie mix?

The one on the left looks like.....he's saying "The fuck you lookin' at?". :lolol:

MY baby Pris:

pris1.jpg

Brought her home from the animal shelter when she was just a fuzzy little black pup. She is now 68lbs, 10 years old, and going strong! Smartest, most sensitive dog I've ever had. And a terror to possums and squirrels!

I had a mini version of her. Really, looks a lot like yours. Weighed about 15 lbs. Got her from a Texas Animal shelter. She had distemper and was quite sick. But she survivied and became the best dog I have ever had. I had to put her down a few years ago at the age of 18.

I miss her to this day.