How many of you own one of these? I saw this today and called them up on it..Thinking it was around $1500 or so..Not knowing they go for around $9000-$10000 . I think it would be great for hog hunting at night..Maybe one day when i win the lotto..lol.....

post-16872-1242369410.jpg

post-16872-1242369426.jpg

post-16872-1242369439.gif

post-16872-1242369448.gif

post-16872-1242369460.gif

They're expensive as hell, takes them out of the range for general messing around usage, heh.

Here's one similar to the one voonman posted, it is on special for only $11,800.00!

http://www.ir-city.com/thermal-cameras/ren...apon-scope.html

If you really want one you can sometimes get an older hand-held unit off of ebay, search for flir camera.

if a guy is standing behind a brick wall, could you still see him?

No. It only shows you the temperatures of things. This is useful cause it makes people stand out like a flare in dense foliage, long ranges, at night, and through smoke or dust.It cannot see through solid objects. At all. One disadvantage that I noticed was that it cant see through glass. It only "sees" the temperature of the pane. That "looking through walls" crap is pure hollywood.

• 5 years later...

How many of you own one of these? I saw this today and called them up on it..Thinking it was around $1500 or so..Not knowing they go for around $9000-$10000 . I think it would be great for hog hunting at night..Maybe one day when i win the lotto..lol.....

Actually you can buy them for $3999.00. I'm buying one today before Barack signs an exec. order to ban them. SPI out of Las Vegas has the 60hz. at that price.

Actually you can buy them for $3999.00. I'm buying one today before Barack signs an exec. order to ban them. SPI out of Las Vegas has the 60hz. at that price.

Actually...

A lot has changed in the 5 years since the original post.

Price on thermal has dropped dramatically, and it is poised to drop again.  So once it falls under 1k for decent quality, I'm in.

Hello

I've read about some accounts where folks using lower-level TI's for hog hunting inadvertently bagged a rancher's calf.

Evidently the resolution can be less-than-desired over distance with some of the cheaper models.

I think NVG and TI are complimentary devices. If you're gonna walk (stumble?) around in the dark, a head mounted NVG is worth it's weight in gold. But, if you're tring to locate a target in brush, fog, or mist, can't beat the TI device.

JMHO...

-Guido in Houston

But, if you're tring to locate a target in brush, fog, or mist, can't beat the TI device.

I've been curious about these types of devices ability to let you see what's behind your target in less than ideal conditions. If that object is the same temp as the atmosphere, and the resolution isn't very good, you might end up putting bullets in things you didn't want to.

edit: R&R sorta beat me to my point... Kinda. wink.png Mummies are probably out too.

Edited by Maxwelhse

Mummies are probably out too.

Well, technically, aren't mummies just really old zombies? 

haha.gif

I would say technically they are not since their brains have been removed and embalmed separately. Head shots don't take down mummies.

It's more fair to say they're really old liberals.

Edited by Maxwelhse

if a guy is standing behind a brick wall, could you still see him?

No. It only shows you the temperatures of things. This is useful cause it makes people stand out like a flare in dense foliage, long ranges, at night, and through smoke or dust.It cannot see through solid objects. At all. One disadvantage that I noticed was that it cant see through glass. It only "sees" the temperature of the pane. That "looking through walls" crap is pure hollywood.

Not necessarily true.  They can be used to look through materials by how they sink heat at joints, ect.  That's how I got the NASA surplus one, and exactly what they were using it for.  You could look into composite/aluminium bondings and tell where the delaminations were.  Also with a wavelength tuneable imager, it makes these things easier.  Not every material emits exactly at 10.7 um, and those emiting at different frequencies can show through other materials.  But to the extent that hollywood shows imagers to be is pure bullshit.  A salt crystal, or zinc selenide crystal are totally transparent at the main frequency of thermal imagers, so if you walked behind a window of either of these, you would be seen!  But if it were glass, you'd be invisible.  If you stood near the glass for a while, it would pick up enough body heat to begin to show warm, and would give indication that sombody is in the room.  But it won't tell you exactly where in the room.  

Is it zombie post day, or what?