Questions from a Connecticut resident

dwc46 sent me this in an email, I figure I might as well keep it up here for anyone doing a search for Connecticut and Saiga12. I told him ahead of time.

good morning,

I'm a connecticut resident also and I'm considering purchasing a saiga 12. read a number of your postings and would appreciate your input.

- should i spend the xtra $$ for a threaded barrel

- can i legally use 10, 12, + mags in an out of the box weapon? (still a bit sketchy on the 922 thing) understand a PG is a n0-no but that's no problem for me.

- have you test driven high cap mags? if so any recommendations, places to buy?

- i've found some reputable dealers on gunbroker. i'm assuming there is nobody in ct that sells them. you have any internet dealers you recommend.

any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

dwc46

My answer, a little edited for internet use and because I got something wrong I had to re-email him about:

I have seen Saiga-12's for sale in CT, tons of them. .308's, 223's, 20gas, .410s as well. These places I've seen them at. The first three places are fantastic gun stores that I've always seen Saigas at. The fourth is a small shop that is right in town that last time I checked (2 weeks ago) had 4 Saiga-12s and 3 .308s at $700, which is a high price. The other three places have much better prices, as they're bigger shops with more traffic. Give these places a call for availability and prices. I've seen Surefire mags for sale at Riverview Sales.

Newington Gun Exchange, Newington

Hoffman's Gun, Newington

Riverview Sales, East Windsor

The Outpost (small store), Montville

It is not legal to use a high capacity magazine in a stock Saiga because of 922r. You need to get one American made part on "the list" to be legal when using a high cap mag.

Use this sheet: http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Click all the boxes to checks. Then uncheck anything that you either don't even have on your gun, and uncheck anything you have that is American made. Nothing is American made stock from the factory. So a stock gun has 14 imported parts as you can see at the bottom, because you'd check everything except "Pistol grip" and "mounting block" as the gun doesn't even have one. You unscrew the thread protector, bam you're at 13 parts. Put on the American mag, 10 parts. So if you don't want to convert, then you're looking at the two easiest parts to replace to get to 10 (legal) keeping that thread protector on: handguard or gas piston puck. These both run like $45 each. You also can get a thread protector or a muzzle break or flash hider or something to protect those threads and look cool. These run as little as $10 and as much as $150 for the really fancy ones. The only thing you can't put on your Saiga-12 will be a folding stock or a pistol grip. You can have a threaded barrel and a flash hider the size of a tank, the shotguns don't have to play by the same rules as our rifles.

All new Saiga shotguns have threaded barrels. I can't even remember seeing pictures of an unthreaded one.

As for magazines, I have 2 AGP 10 round mags, they work great. At first I was really mad because I couldn't get them to work well. Then I figured out I had overtightened them, causing tons of friction on the rounds inside. They work 100% now. I have a Surefire 12 round (really 13) magazine that binds in the middle half the time, at 6 or 7 shots fired. I'm pretty sure there's a little piece of plastic flashing in there or something stupid like that. I'm sure that I could fix it if I spent ten seconds with it. I've hardly used it though because of this winter. I also have an MD-20 drum, and it is fantastic.

-Pat

Edited by Twinsen
  • 1 year later...

Hello

I have Saiga in .223. I wanted to put nice wood stock (not thumbhole) and what goes after the trigger, gas tube, detachable mag, pistol grip, etc. Obviously it will make the gun look like an AK47 (CT illegal), so I called ATF/BATFE Hartford Headquaters Office at 1-860-240-3400 and spoke with Mr. Peter Belanger.

I told him what I wanted to do, and that my gun would look like AK47, so he said that as long as I do not change the lenght of the barrel, and do not make it into full automatic weapon I will be GOOD. He said by Federal Law it's ok, ATF it's ok. And then he told me to call some local dealers to ask what they think about legality, so I did. My best dealer (valleyfirearms.com) said that if the guy from ATF said it is ok, then it is OK.

Here is what I bought from carolinashooterssupply.com Greg there is an awesome salesman! He told what I need besides the stock (LOL).

1 TRIGGER GUARD-BOLT ON "ROUNDED" @ $17.95 = $17.95

1 TRIGGER GROUP-SAIGA RIFLE MODIFIED FIRE CONTROL GROUP @ $50.00 = $50.00

1 TRIGGER GROUP HOLE PLUGS FOR SAIGA CONVERSIONS @ $1.00 = $1.00

1 WOOD STOCK SET AK-47, SAIGA RIFLE- BROWN LAMINATE @ $110.50 = $110.50

1 GAS TUBE FOR AK47'S AND SAIGA RIFLES @ $30.00 = $30.00

1 HANDGUARD RETAINING LOWER BRACKET @ $34.95 = $34.95

1 Saiga 223 30rd Magazine @ $28.95 = $28.95

When I am done I will post the picture. Thanks and please share Your thoughts!