Old Bill is rolling over in his grave

For the last week or so, Ruger.com has been hinting that a new firearm is coming.

Well, today, ol' Bill is doing a 6500 RPM roll . . . .

There was evidently a trade show today somewhere and this was announced:

3528289717_f597c358e1_b.jpg

ruger556.jpg

If they can sell these at a reasonable price point, they're gonna sell the sh** out of 'em.

Edited to add:

The site just went live a few minutes ago: http://www.ruger.com/SR556/

MSRP $1995.00 !!!! (looks like they're gonna be keeping a lot of 'em)

Edited by nalioth
Then again, a piston driven AR for 1995, is that expensive?

Yeah, for what it is, it's way overpriced.

With Ruger's manufacturing capabilities, a sub-$1000 AR of this type AR would have cornered the market and still made money for Ruger.

Then again, a piston driven AR for 1995, is that expensive?

Yeah, for what it is, it's way overpriced.

With Ruger's manufacturing capabilities, a sub-$1000 AR of this type AR would have cornered the market and still made money for Ruger.

Absolutely. Otherwise why not just get the SIG? It's cheaper by several hundred dollars.

I guess we'll have to see but Ruger seems to have screwed the pooch on that price point.

Whatever happened to the philosophy of a gun should cost no more then a week's paycheck for the "everyday" man that Ruger was founded on?

It does not matter, I have not bought a Ruger since old Bill sold us out during the hearings for the AWB!

I will never forget. :|

I saw the article on here and my jaw dropped at the picture. I own a Ruger P95, it's a beautiful gun that I've shot over a thousand rounds in without any sort of hiccup at all, I carry it every day and it holds up just find, and the thing cost me only $360. When I saw Ruger making a 556 like that I thought holy shit, there's gonna be an AR for peanuts! Then I saw the $2k price tag when I scrolled down. FUCK.

I remember when the only SIG rifle was a 550 and it cost $4000 and I still wanted one.This is another "Also ran" to be scooped up by the amateurs and wannabees who will swear up and down it's as reliable as an HK416,SIG55x or even likely a Kalashnikov.

If I needed a Ruger rifle,I'd have bought the latest generation Mini 14 not another unneeded GayRfifteenAirsoftloverswetdream made by a company that must be run by bipolar gerbils..

Oh, Bill Ruger and his buddy Joseph Stalin are going to rise from the depths of hell for letting the unwashed masses own such a deadly weapon.

I also stopped buying Ruger and S&W after their support of the AWB and civilians being limited to 10 round mags. Watching those traitors rub elbows with the Clintons and Bradys still makes me sick.

Probably be closer to 1200.00 at dealers... Just look at their other items, the 10/22 is listed at 320.00 and the mini 14 for 850.00

They just buffer their MSRP to let their dealers screw customers to death if they want to.

Chrome plated everything, and gas piston. That's like $1923129080948234149872341091234709812374709123473289172343.99 in the AR world. Or y'now, like $200 in the AK world.

Another $2,000 AR. Lucky us.

By Ruger, no less :lolol:

Looks like a damn good gun, and a total failure for Ruger.

Interesting, you'd think with a piston setup they would ditch the telescoping stock and go to a folding stock, and at 2k, I'll stick to my Robinson Arms XCR......but their video of the guys shooting and their heads shaking like bobble heads is funny...lol, recoil seems to be rough or their shooters are pussies

Edited by Vultite
Interesting, you'd think with a piston setup they would ditch the telescoping stock and go to a folding stock

How does a gas piston frontend obviate the need for a recoil buffer in the stock?

I would wait for the first batch of these rifles to go through..Ruger is a great company with a good warranty service..But i own 2 firearms from them..And usually when they first introduce a new weapon there is always a recall or a problem with them..The second batch of rifles should be a better buy where they work out all the quirks and bugs..

well, i woulda figured if they went through the trouble of a gas piston system, they would have found a way to eliminate the buffer tube assembly like in the kel tec's and oly arms gas piston weapons....a folding stock would be a big selling point (at least to me)

well, i woulda figured if they went through the trouble of a gas piston system, they would have found a way to eliminate the buffer tube assembly like in the kel tec's and oly arms gas piston weapons....a folding stock would be a big selling point (at least to me)

Yes, it would have been nice, but undoubtedly would have cost a lot more to bring to market.

Olympic Arms still holds an active patent on their "bufferless" AR15 design, as well.

I saw it and the Para this week, handled both and i agree that the folding stock is definately an improvement. Id likely encourage the sig over both, unless i wanted to convert an existing AR to try and save some cash.

This is the Para-Ordinance TTR

rifle_TTR-XAS_large04.jpg

I'm still not interested until they make one in something other than a poodle-shooter cal.

I saw it and the Para this week, handled both and i agree that the folding stock is definately an improvement. Id likely encourage the sig over both, unless i wanted to convert an existing AR to try and save some cash.

This is the Para-Ordinance TTR

rifle_TTR-XAS_large04.jpg

I'm still not interested until they make one in something other than a poodle-shooter cal.

What is it with these people? They all have to have a 100 year old pistol design shooting a slow as hell whopper bullet with no hydrostatic shock but then they carry a micro caliber varmint gun that is only moderately reliable and looks like something vomitted by George Jetson's robot maid,LOL

I run a modern polymer pistol in a pipsqueak caliber but don't care for rifles that don't have at least 60 years of field experience on their resume.

Folks Bill is dead and there is no point holding a grudge against the company. We all here are fans of Russian firearms and have forgiven them for Stalin and the Iron Curtain and the Cold War yada yada yada. Times change.

I have 4 rugers. A pair of matching stainless, 5 1/2 inch 357 new vaqueros. Love those revolvers. A 22/45 and a 10/22. Both are accurate but both are jam-o-matics. The 22/45 locked up and I couldn't break it down and except for a bit longer turnaround time than I liked Ruger customer service was outstanding. Don't care for their larger caliber automatic pistols so far.

I am going to watch this new rifle and if the feedback is good strongly consider it. I do not have an AR and one with a short piston setup which I gather is similar to an SKS or FAL is attractive if the accuracy does not suffer much.

I'm still waiting on the "New" Ruger X-GI in 308 they announced was coming "soon" about 20 yrs ago ..........Ruger has gotten a rep for announcing guns and never getting them into production until years later........... :rolleyes: ......OK, so it happens to most mfg on occasion, but they made a habit of it for quite a few years.............I wouldn't get worked up over this thing one way or the other for a while...

I'm still waiting on the "New" Ruger X-GI in 308 they announced was coming "soon" about 20 yrs ago ..........Ruger has gotten a rep for announcing guns and never getting them into production until years later........... :rolleyes: ......OK, so it happens to most mfg on occasion, but they made a habit of it for quite a few years.............I wouldn't get worked up over this thing one way or the other for a while...

The X-GI shot itself apart in front of half a dozen prominent gun writers.

For $8000.00 Ruger X-GI WARNING & DISCLAIMER

THIS USED FIREARM IS BEING SOLD "AS IS" AND IS INTENDED TO BE USED FOR COLLECTORS' PURPOSES ONLY.

THIS FIREARM HAS NOT BEEN TESTED FOR CORRECT FUNCTIONING OR SAFETY AND IT SHOULD NOT BE FIRED!

Purchaser assumes all liability for its safe and proper ownership, storage, use, and resale. Purchase is subject to website Site Usage Agreement and applicable Federal, state and local laws.

Edited by Superhawk138
Folks Bill is dead and there is no point holding a grudge against the company. We all here are fans of Russian firearms and have forgiven them for Stalin and the Iron Curtain and the Cold War yada yada yada. Times change.

I have 4 rugers. A pair of matching stainless, 5 1/2 inch 357 new vaqueros. Love those revolvers. A 22/45 and a 10/22. Both are accurate but both are jam-o-matics. The 22/45 locked up and I couldn't break it down and except for a bit longer turnaround time than I liked Ruger customer service was outstanding. Don't care for their larger caliber automatic pistols so far.

I am going to watch this new rifle and if the feedback is good strongly consider it. I do not have an AR and one with a short piston setup which I gather is similar to an SKS or FAL is attractive if the accuracy does not suffer much.

Man what's up with your 10/22? Mine is dead nuts reliable except with the weak ass Winchester bricks. I can rattle off a few hundred rounds real fast without a jam using Federal bricks.

Edited by superA
Chrome plated everything, and gas piston. That's like $1923129080948234149872341091234709812374709123473289172343.99 in the AR world. Or y'now, like $200 in the AK world.

I think you just made that number up......

The XGI is the root of my theory as to why the bore of the Mini-30 is incorrect for the 7.62x39!

I still have two aftermarket 30 round XGI thirty round mags I bought at the Shotshow when it was here in Atlanta. I feel sorry for the poor company that tooled up for them!

Man what's up with your 10/22? Mine is dead nuts reliable except with the weak ass Winchester bricks. I can rattle off a few hundred rounds real fast without a jam using Federal bricks.

Probably a combo of ammo and magazines. Haven't been shooting enough lately to determine exactly what it likes.

Edited by rocinante