Conversion done. Question about BHO and Safety lever.

I finished my coversion and test fit all the parts together. I got the BHO installed and it works, but the safety lever will not go in. I saw a video that appeared to have some material ground off of the safety lever but can't find it again.

Do you have to grind the safety lever? If so does anyone have a pic of where and how much needs taken off?

I'm sorry for all of the questions I've asked lately.

I've never owned a Saiga or an AK and probably should have had someone else do the work, but I have been doing my own gunsmithing for years. I just want to make sure everything is perfect so I don't risk my or anyone elses' safety when I shoot the thing.

With the BHO installed, push up as if engaging it, mark the section that is blocking the Safety Lever hole, remove that small section from the back of the BHO.

It doesn't take much, like 1/8wide by 1/8 deep, I used a rattail (round) file, took a couple minutes.

006.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno
Did you use a retainer plate?

If you did then you probably need to fit it.

I had to do that on both of the ones I converted.

It appears that TDH's problem was the BHO blocking the Safety Lever hole, this can make installation a bitch, however, the mod above makes it easy as hitting the broad side of a barn.

I just want to thank everyone that has been so helpful during my conversion. I wanted to do it myself, that way if I ever have problems I understand the workings of the platform. I have been doing gunsmithing work on other firearms for years but never got into the AK/Saiga world. I only recently learned of the shotguns a few months ago and am very happy with the way mine turned out.

I hadn't decided if I want to SBS it or buy a second one to SBS. I'm going to strip it back down and duracoat everthing with the self lubricating duracoat. I'll post a better pic when I get done duracoating :)

post-16861-1242495075_thumb.jpg

Edited by TDH

Schweet, I really like the Magpul... Thats the CTR, yes? And with pad.

Just what I want, I may ditch the TAPCO AK T6 someday and get a REAL collapsible.

Now ditch the OEM forearm and install a tri-rail or some such.

Edited by ChileRelleno
Schweet, I really like the Magpul... Thats the CTR, yes? And with pad.

Just what I want, I may ditch the TAPCO AK T6 someday and get a REAL collapsible.

Now ditch the OEM forearm and install a tri-rail or some such.

Yeah its the CTR. I had it laying around waiting for a tax stamp for an SBR so I snagged it for the Saiga. It's the commercial tube version with the thicker pad.

I am going to do the forearm and a brake soon. I still haven't refinished the bare metal yet, but I have some duracoat on the way. Stripping it down and putting it back together is easier after the first time :)

Thanks again guys :)