Stupid Laws !

This issue probably doesn't conern you guys here but i'll describe my current predicament and you can give me feedback.

I am a British Citizen living in the US for 6 years now on the Visa system. The Green Card process takes ages so I have to keep re-newing my visa.

As a non-immigrant I wondered if I could own a firearm. I asked in the local gun shop. Basically the reply was..."Well you have to have a hunting License even if you never go hunting. You also have to show 3 months residency ie utility bills.

Based on this information I purchased a CX4 storm over the internet and had it transferred to Delaware. In the meantime I tried to buy a Henry repeating at Wal mart and was Denied by Federal !!!!(Also realising I can't now pick up my storm when it arrives).

After calling ATF and NICS the answer was......If you leave the country at ANYTIME you loose your residency !!!!! So even though I live in my house in Deleaware for the last 4 years if I go on business for a day or two out of the country then when I return I can't buy a gun . With my job I always have to leave the country every month or so to visit customers so at this rate I would never get to own a gun. I returned to the US after Xmas so I'm counting the days. April 3rd and I have been set free. Of course I have to buy every gun that week because I leave for business in a few days. Of course when I return from abroad I can own the guns but I just can't buy anymore !!.

I just hope I don't have to leave before then........

I want to get the Saiga 12 shipped and transferred so I don't wast anytime.

...any thoughts..

i hate to say it, but i think when you leave, you cant OWN a gun, let alone buy one. I think you need to get your naturalization paperwork going, or you should look into asking for temporary US only travel.

question, if you lose residency when you leave on business, how is it that your visa doesnt expire as well? something doesnt smell right with that whole deal to me.

keep in mind that most firearm ownership laws depend on the state. some states, delaware included, do not allow non-state residents to purchase firearms.

others, such as where I live, Florida, do.

Not entirely true (just like the blasted NJ hollowpoint myth that won't die!). :wacko:

I'm a NJ resident, and I regularly buy firearms in Delaware (just because I don't want to give this $hit state and it's stupid firearms laws any more money than it deserves). :angry:

Granted, if buying a handgun, you must transfer it to a licensed FFL here first, but for longarms, it's cash and carry (well, after NICS, FOID card, paperwork, etc.). :killer:

I am a resident of delaware I have my driving license (2000).

My current visa is valid for 1 year I can leave and re-enter the states as many times as I like. It doesn't expire just because I leave the country. The purpose of a visa is to allow me to get back to the US. Even if my visa expires its no big deal I can stay in the country it depends on my notice of action. That basically allows me to stay and live in the US I dont even need a visa If I don't intend to leave the country.

I could tell you rthe story about my wife who's also British she went back to the UK about 2 years ago to show the family our latest addition a daughter (US Citizen). After a week she tried to come back but was refused as she didnt have a visa in her passport. But as she explained she had an emergeny passport because the US State department lost hers. She had documentation to say she could live in the states but she wasn;t allowed to travel to the states as she had no visa. Which is odd because as a British citizen you can sign a visa waiver on the plane. But they wouldnt let her do that so she was stuck for over 3 weeks. Of course I had to stay off work for the extra 3 weeks to look after my 3 young boys which nearly caused me to loose my job anyway.....well as this is a Saiga forum and not an immigration forum I won't rattle on anymore.....

not unless you want more...

Yes but my point is this.....if the rules have to change for whatever reason then they should make logical sense.

my wife had lived in the states for 4 years at the time so the US Government knows more about her than me ! They have her finger prints ,photograph and every peice of documentation I can think of. So why have rules that don't let her fly back to her only house and family......When any British person who has never been to the US before which the US government knows absolutley nothing about can just sign a visa waiver on the plane and enter the US.

As I mentioned we are currenlty going through the Green card process. Part of that process is that all of us have to have medicals at the cost of over $1000 . So whats the point if we have been here for over 6 years.

Of course I neglected to say if I lived in the UK then I would not be able to own any weapon!

Its really difficult to own them. even if you go through all the rings and hoops you have to get suprise inspections by the police to see if they are locked up in the appropriate cabinets etc.

I had a really good friend who did own a gun and used to go to the range shooting.

He used to go with his girlfriend and use her car. At some point she sold her car and the new owners found a bullet tucked away in the seats. The new owners informed the police and the police checked the previous owner and of course had no record of possessing firearms. An equivalent SWAT team was then disaptched to her house. She explained about her boyfriend owning guns and this nearly cost him to loose his hard to get licence.

Not entirely true (just like the blasted NJ hollowpoint myth that won't die!).

gaddis, handgun hollow points ARE a class b felony per round in NJ. My brother in law shoots in competition with someone it happened to. they shot in comp out of state, got pulled over for something in jersey on the way home, there was a couple of them in thier pocket and they charged them per round with B fel's. call the cops up there and ask them.

I did ask a NJ cop about this, and his reply was "well, they sell them at gunshops here, so they should be okay." :super:

(I know, never trust a cop). :unsure:

As long as you are travelling to or from a range (or on your personal property), and have them stored seperately (like with all types of ammo here) from the actual firearm the cop would most likely found to be in error if brought to trial. :haha:

I think the trouble your friend found himself in was having them in his pocket (cop with slow day on a "fishing" expedition). :cryss:

• 1 month later...

Well I made it 90 DAYS>>>>>>>><!!!! or did I ?

I managed to palm a few business trips off to my colleagues so I could stay in the US to comply with the 90 days residency so I can get my guns which I have bought but not transferred.

I went down to the shop where my Saiga is being held to pick it up but yet again I was "Delayed" by NICS. The thing is I have a business trip this Sunday so if I dont get them transferred by then my 90 days will be re-set .

I also went to another dealer where I have another gun and yes again delayed. I have to buy all my guns this week as that will have to be it. So I also wanted a P22 for plinking around. After finding the exact color and price of a model I went through the process again but this time another suprise. I was told my 90 days was not up until tomorrow so come back then and go through the paper work again. After walking out the shop I re-calculated and counted 91 days. I called NICS and said yes you are ok you have completed 90 days. So I went back in the shop and he talked to NICS. Then he said ok but the problem now is that the 3 months consecutive utility bills you have provided are for DEC 04 , jan-feb, feb -mar. As I came back to the US in Jan I have to have 3 consecutive bills from that date. The problem with that is my electric bill isnt due until middle to end of the month ! So the minimum 90 days is meaningless unless I have a utility due on the day I leave the US? All the other guns shops didn't have a problem with this.

This is just a viscious circle...anyway Im keeping everything crossed for a few days.

Then if I haven't resolved this by Friday Im selling the lot!

i see any foreigner carrying, im taking it from them. if you are here, you are here, or you arent. thats a loophole so bin laden's saudi family can come here and not die when they inspect thier gas stations in my area.

Texas sounds great to me and the weather is better. But I do have an interview for another job in Ohio.

It must be so frustrating having firearms that you love and getting a great job offer but in a state where u cant posses them!

decisions..decisions.

Well I did manage to get my Berreta CX4 storm yesterday so things are looking up.

I have my new 8 round magazine and my Cobra scope for the saiga so I am still under a "Delay" . Something fishy is going on though.

I called the FFL today and he said no change. I called NICS and tried to find out what was going on. Of course they will not tell u anything unless you are the dealer. I said I don't want to know the status I just want to know if there is a status ie Proceed or deny. The NICS person said well I would ask your FFl to call in as it maybe complete. I took this to mean that a decision was made. That was about 2pm. Anyway I waited until 6pm and called the FFL . He said no change and when I told him about what NICS had said he said that when he called in yesterday they told him specifically not to call in but wait or else they would drop this to the bottom of the waiting list ! I called NICS back and was told when a status was reached the dealer would be informed, so that confused me.

So i'm still waiting . This is the same guy that told me the ATF called him and told him not to sell me any firearms as I didnt have the correct paper work which I do. Of course when the ATF called him he didnt tell me and its a 50 mile round trip so when I walked in and he told me that I was really pissed. Anyway I showed him all the documentation and he went ahead.

over the past few months I have visited quite a few gun shops to know exactly where the "goodies" are when I can buy them. In my opinion the majority of the people behind the counter are really bad mannered and rude. Is this the norm for guns shops. Just to give you one example I asked if I could look at a pistol that was in the case. The guy rolled his eyes and said why bother you cant buy anything anway. When I said I could put a deposit down to hold it he just rolled his eyes again. I just said forget it Id rather pay extra somwhere else for the customer service as I may have to come back and didn't want to deal with that.

any way thats my bit for now.....

what im wondering is what happens once you get your stuff finally, and then you go away on business again next week? doesnt that reset your status, and force you to turn over your firearms?

Well I got my guns today..at last. Now to answer you question. When I leave the country and return to the US I can keep the guns I bought because I bought them legally. I just cant buy another until I have been here for ANOTHER 90 days continious.

At least it stops me from spending too much !

I'm not sure how I stand if I goto a gun show and buy without a NICS check. I think thats ok for some reason.

Well I got my guns today..at last. Now to answer you question. When  I leave the country and return to the US I can keep the guns I bought because I bought them legally. I just cant buy another until I have been here for ANOTHER 90 days continious.

At least it stops me from spending too much !

I'm not sure how I stand if I goto a gun show and buy without a NICS check. I think thats ok for some reason.

Glad to hear you got your guns! :super: As far as gunshows go, if you can buy

guns there with no check, it just shows how retarded our laws are.

[

Gazza...If you go to a gun show & buy from a gun owner that is selling out of his private Collection...YOU are not breaking ANY gun laws...as long as the state you are in has no specific ordinance/law restricting it...

Stay Safer!

I know in my state it is a felony to transfer any firearm at a gunshow without going through a dealer, even a private sale. it being a felony, im thinking the gun show laws were updated slightly and noone told us? the first I heard of that was this year. big sign over the entryway to the last show I was at.

That's ONLY in the Slave states where gun Grabbing politicians are elected & the Crime rate is the highest...Ever notice that the states that have the strictest gun laws have the HIGHEST crime rates...???

In Texas & most other FREEE States.. A Gun Owner is still allowed to "POLICE THEMSELVES" & sell to who ever they want...& do what ever they want with their OWN property

It seems that GunGrabbing Politicians are stuck on the belief that ALL citizens are Way too stupid to make decisions like that.. :rolleyes: