A Little Chaos loaded Cutie.........

I'm trying to figure out how to get some video to show how well the Hog reduces the muzzle-rise. It is one of the few brakes out there that really works. I guess I'll nail a yardstick up and shoot in front of it and take a vid from the side. Using the same ammo with a couple different brakes. That should show the difference....... :smoke:

draw a grid on white poster board, and film straight from the side at exact same locations off your spotting scope tripod.....should show muzzle rise and recoil differences....

Maybe filming will show the differences, maybe not. There is a difference between actual and felt recoil. I would guess that a test group with guns set up so that you could not see the brake on the end would be needed to really be fair to the brake. I guess that you could use a paper plate stuck on the barrel or some such with the shotgun presented to the shooter in such a way as to prevent personal bias from skewing the results.

Maybe filming will show the differences, maybe not. There is a difference between actual and felt recoil. I would guess that a test group with guns set up so that you could not see the brake on the end would be needed to really be fair to the brake. I guess that you could use a paper plate stuck on the barrel or some such with the shotgun presented to the shooter in such a way as to prevent personal bias from skewing the results.

This would be true for recoil, but this brake was designed to reduce muzzle lift, which could be fairly measured from the side. I could manufacture a brake to do both, but it would be a tank brake, and I don't like those. I would rather stay on target and get kicked back a little, but there are ways to buffer that as well.

draw a grid on white poster board, and film straight from the side at exact same locations off your spotting scope tripod.....should show muzzle rise and recoil differences....

Bvamp and Azrial make good points. IIRC there are several episodes of MythBusters where they measure projo speed, muzzle rise, and/or recoil from a firearm using a slow motion camera. I would copy their setup as far as back and white grid background and rest to make the test as accurate as possible.

Edited by 690gr
Now come on guys, I don't have time to take anything less than a HI-speed crap, let alone setup a major test bed to show recoil differences in muzzlebrakes.............Let's keep it simple........ :ded:

Equipment and procedure to implement my method. Please follow the steps in order for best results.

1. Stack of paper plates

2. a group of men, 5-10 should do.

3. a case or two of beer

4. a note pad, to keep it all scientific like...

5. Someone to ask the question, "Hey guys, anyone what to try my new 12" SBS with a 20 round drum, there will be free beer after?"

Tom, both you and Steve are lifelong shooters, so I am sure either or both of you could have an unbiased shooting stance, and duplicate it with and withou the warthog. I am sure that if you each stood with a clear line of fire, with the exposed block wall to your left with the block courses for a reference, and took 2 quick videos of each of you, with the camera on the white things hood, with and without the warthog on there, it should be obvious. Maybe a few triple taps on each with some buckshot.

It would be even more apparant if you only held the gun to your shoulder with your trigger hand, im sure, and the wall should be enough of a gauge to show change in muzzle rise. There is no way that there is not at least a LITTLE muzzle climb checking.....

that should be pretty quick and simple to do....