It all began, months ago, when i purchased Alex Wakal's Mid-barrel comp.

I finally attached it to my gun two months ago, using it for an optics rail only....

This weekend I took the plunge and ported my shotgun barrel. Tomorrow or Wedsnesday I finally get to test it out next to other, non-ported Saigas... we'll see if the recoil is actually reduced or if I've just added fire-works holes to the barrel :)

Also, we'll see if my gun will still cycle. It's ported at about 12" and, prior to the porting, the gun would BARELY cycle Federal bird on setting 1 (gunfixr plug) so, we'll see if it will still cycle the bird on #2.... I still have #3 in reserve! :) we'll see what happens!

More to come.

Good luck! I will say this for you, you are fearless. How large did you make your mid-brake ports? I still remember your post where you postulated removing some of the "extra" locking lugs off the bolt... :eek:

I hope that this works, safely... :up:

• Like 1

Azrial,

I wouldn't say I'm fearless. I'm just.... Experimenting....

After I test, I'll give you more details Az.

HAHAHA the .308 bolt has 3 lugs, 2 full size and one, teeny one. I still say the tiny one is all but worthless.

Ok, i got to test with Buck/Slugs 2 3/4" today. They cycled fine on #2 (gunfixr plug) and the buck short-cycled on 1 and the slug barely cycled on 1... I couldn't test birdshot at the range I had to go to tonight, but If it cycles on #2 I'm golden... if it only cycles on #3, that's fine too. :) Hopefully I'll get to test bird out this weekend.

Testing side by side with a Non-Ported, converted 19" IZ-109 and my Ported version, the Buck and slug felt recoil was reduced by 50-75%.... it was AWESOME!

Edited by SaigaNoobie

Well it's not any more LOUD to me... but to my buddy standing behind me... LOL. The first shot he says "I got sprayed with lead"... I'm like "No you didn't"... turns out it was the brake kicking up the dust and debris around the shooting station and blowing it back at him.... HAHAHA.

I can't wait for competition, shooting this with an R.O. standing next to me is going to be fun... for me... not him! :)

GUNFUN, the mid-barrel comp is designed and manufactured by Member WAKAL. PM him, It's not my design to hand out.... sorry. I hope you understand. If he wants to give you the design or CAD files or CNC files, that's up to him, I just don't feel comfortable handing out another's design.

~SN

Yah, it does. But you gotta pay to play... Reduced recoil and a SUPER low optics mount... If I wanted a Top rail how much would I pay? $100? So I don't need one... I get a rail and brake in one. It was worth it to me... Don't think I payed 250 either. :)

I was mostly joking, but $250 seems like a lot for 2 small pieces of metal.

Damn, you should see what I had to pay for a piece of metal and a stone to make my fiancée happy!

• Like 1
I was mostly joking, but $250 seems like a lot for 2 small pieces of metal.

Damn, you should see what I had to pay for a piece of metal and a stone to make my fiancée happy!

Been there, paid it off... coulda bought a good used car...... or a few Tromix's.... or a Class 3 Happy switch!

But I guess It get's me the happy switch at night... which is worth it. :wub:

As Larry would say, I don't care who you are...that is funny right there :haha:

Thanks, Bob :chris:

Glad you like it! Here is a comp in action on a short gas gun with an old (and mostly useless, although the CDI factor is pretty high) Savage Accu-Choke:

Fred_shotgun_3gun2008.jpg

Alex

When i can test bird, i'll take more shots. The camera only had like 3 mins of battery life so we kept it short so nothing would get screwed up.

I spliced them together... The next one will have more shots and be better :)

So i got to shoot a whole 10 rounds at the range this morning before the lightning alarm went off. I got 1 FTE out of a mag of 10... Given that I have a 99% success rate with Fed Ammo, and on ONE mag i had ONE round FTE, I cannot say if it's low on gas YET... When I can shoot 30 or more, i'll be able to give a better report.... The round more got caught while the gun tried to chamber the next round... like it failed to throw the shell far enough... More testing is needed. So far, the recoil was very mild though. :) having 9 cycle normally without moving the gas block or opening up the gas ports, is very promising though! I can't wait to get out and shoot again! :)

Alex's midbarrel comp in action from yesterdays UK Shield Tournament .............. 10 shots , 10 plates hit in 6 seconds .

1461.jpg

Buckshot was a breeze through Alex's D1 saiga ....

1462.jpg

Just dont try running with a 24" barrel .........

sh3.jpg

Edited by gunfighteruk

after much discussion with Alex to get his input, the pattern those guys are running is 3x5 on each side. (15 holes) 1/8" in diameter and 1/4" c-c offset.

I only went with a 3x3 pattern of 1/8" @ 1/4"c-c.

Alex mentioned diminishing returns on anything over 15 to make it not worth it.

I wanted to have porting that would still allow my normal gas block position. So, I started with 3x3, and it worked and my gun still cycles... so I left it at that.

~SN

So are they lined up with the holes in the bolt-on brake or are they in the back square area? I saw a side view of one installed and I don't see any holes through the opening. That's why I'm asking just trying to wrap my head around how the gas flows though it.

Do you also have porting on top of your barrel in front of this brake? Thought I saw a pic of that but can't remember if it was yours or not.

Edited by Racer 27

No top porting for me....

The 9 holes on each side start as far back as possible (just inside the rear edge... the gas is then funneled forward to the baffles.

Felt recoil is reduced, but it was reduced ALOT with the heavy stuff and less with the light stuff. Currently the recoil seems to be on par with a 7.62x39.

But that is just an estimate.

Did you drill them at an angle backwards or just straight in? If straight in: would the backwards way help with recoil and/or the powder reside, shot wad mess?

Have you shot without the brake on (with the porting that you put in) to see if there is a difference without the brake there? It seems weird that you would have the gases go forward then bring it backwards. Does it somehow work better that way?

Lots of questions I know. Thanks for putting up with me.

Dunno about the gasses forward then backward thing... figure they go forward, hit the baffles, then are ported rearward.... I haven't shot it with the brake OFF as I pretty much glued it in place for added security. :)

hey guys I have a dreadnought mid barrel brake on my saiga 12. The recoil is less than my fathers 20 guage remington 870 with knox recoil reducing stock. both firing slugs. I drilled 15 1/8 inch holes on 1/4 centers, 3 rows of 5 of each side. Also I used a combo mill drill bit. it left no bur on the inside to clean up, perfect hole. You can tune the brake slightly depending on where you orient the brake in relation to the holes. For use with the MD drum I had to open up the #2 gas port on the gas fixer plug. (for use with slugs) pictures below.

post-14506-1244581619_thumb.jpg

post-14506-1244581634_thumb.jpg

post-14506-1244581648_thumb.jpg

post-14506-1244581662_thumb.jpg

hey guys I have a dreadnought mid barrel brake on my saiga 12. The recoil is less than my fathers 20 guage remington 870 with knox recoil reducing stock. both firing slugs. I drilled 15 1/8 inch holes on 1/4 centers, 3 rows of 5 of each side. Also I used a combo mill drill bit. it left no bur on the inside to clean up, perfect hole. You can tune the brake slightly depending on where you orient the brake in relation to the holes. For use with the MD drum I had to open up the #2 gas port on the gas fixer plug. (for use with slugs) pictures below.

Could someone explain to me please why you are supposed to line up the holes in the barrel like pic #1 and not just like pic #2?

Also were the holes just drilled straight in?