the accuracy of your .223

I saw this thread in the 7.62x39mm and am totally ripping it off for this. Im just wondering what the average is for the .223 caliber saigas.

My factory manual has mine listed at 98mm @ 100m. thats about 3.75" for a group. Mine has a 20" barrel.

What's yours listed at?

Edited by GregM1

I really don't know how much that little paper means. It is merely a function test after all. I don't think these people testing the rifle care too much how tight their groups are. After you've shot a hundred rifles before lunch day in and day out...........

JMHO

My paper says 117mm which I believe is 4.75", but minus the flyers I shoot about a 2Moa, which Im more than happy with for a Kalashnikov. Mines actually sighted in at 75yds. and I can average a 1.5" group if I dont have a flyer, but thats pretty rare. Some groups Ill have 2 shots very close sometimes even touching then a flyer

.223 with 16" bbl

Edited by justinmcmillion

Mine has the 20" barrel, and it said 93mm spread for the four-shot group. I figured that out to about 3 5/8", but I've never come close to being that good yet. I still haven't got the irons completely adjusted, and my other sight is a 4moa red dot. I can shoot minute-of-man at 100 yds. Need more range time.

Got some range time yesterday, Used Brass Cased bulk ammo I ordered from J&G and had far less fliers, my groups were much tighter and the fliers I had weren't the normal 2" flier much less around 1".

The best group of the day was 1 7/16" at 100 yds!!!! It was a 4 shot group at that(too scared to take the 5th shot :cryss: )! With 3 shots nearly touching.

My girlfriend stuck another target on top of it ruining it but you can still see it in the picture.

IMG_3341.jpg

Never in my life have I shot a group like that with a kalashnikov. Most groups averaged between 2-3" With the worse being 3 3/8 due to either 2 fliers or my shooting skills. However the 1 7/16" was mere luck because my red dot is 4 MOA and almost covers the entire target, so I would say that it was one good shot the 3 lucky shots that happened to be off in the right direction :super:

Needless to say I made a guy at the range that had a $4K AR question his investment, He was totally shocked and he had just made a comment right before I shot the best group of the day.

" Is that an AK? Looks cool but the ARs shoot a lot better" After I went to retrieve my Target his jaw dropped, he then wouldn't even show me his group..

Chalk another win for the Kalasnikov

• 1 month later...

Saiga, shoot good groups. Bullet size, pressure and such make all the difference. IE I handload, as I never felt that even the premium factory ammo can perform next to good handloads. Sometimes I stumble across great handloads. Like 24.5 gr of Hodgdon Benchmark with a 55 gr Sierra GameKing FJM BT bullet. CCI #400 SR primers, and Federal cases. My wife was impressed. Steve, the gunsmith at On Target in Kalamazoo and the owner were impressed. Owner took a photo copy of the target. I have a new polished hammer and trigger sear group I put in. Everything works like butter now.

3 shots, 100 yards. I had the scope off the night before and as ususal, it lost it's "zero" when I remounted it. No worries.

post-19094-1248572169_thumb.jpg

Me holding the rifle while my daughter took the pic.

post-19094-1248572218_thumb.jpg

Tighter picture of the held target, to better see the 1 hole group.

post-19094-1248572304_thumb.jpg

Now, need to get some varmint bullets (soft point or hollow point) in that same configuration of 55 gr boat tail. :D