Has anyone shot an s12 with and without the limb saver. I really like this stock but find it hard to believe the limb saver cost 65 dollars. That is the same price as getting the folding mechanism. Please help me to understand.

*shrug* It costs what it costs. It seemed more than a little high to me too, which is part of the reason I didn't go that route and instead ordered an Ace stock with the 1" butt-pad.

The pad is about 40 bucks retail, and Tony installs and grinds it to fit. I guess you could install it yourself and save a few bucks.

Personally I prefer painful recoil, so it's not an issue for me.

I've got a Tromix stock with the limbsaver. I debated about spending the extra money, but I'm glad I did. I think it has internal air pockets or something. The rubber is quite flexible and somewhat tacky. It doesn't slide around on your shoulder and really makes a difference when shooting slugs or magnums.

If you're just doing light loads for skeet or different competitions, you might not appreciate the LS as much. It DOES add a bit more length to the stock, especially if you have a folding mechanism too.

If money is a concern, you can always get the stock wihout it and add it later, if you want.

Corbin

I went through the same process of deciding on whether to get the pad.

In the end I did and I'm glad I did.

I like to go out and burn through 50+ rounds at a time and my older S-12 with the NATO length Tapco would be killing me after that many.

Now I hardly notice, it makes THAT much of a difference.

This would be so much easier if Tromix conversions were not two years out, or I had any skills what so ever.

You can get the Tromix stock (with or without the Limbsaver) from our dealers right now with no waiting.

Before my Saiga arrived I ordered a std Tromix stock.. Once my S-12 arrived I shot it for an afternoon, then decided I wanted the limbsaver so I order another Tromix stock with limbsaver... Now I have an extra stock that I'm in the process of trading off for AR parts.

In short, I think it was worth the extra $65 for the limbsaver..

I almost didn't spend the extra money on my LS back when I was replacing the Tapco stock. I didn't start a thread specifically asking about it, but I DID find a relevant thread about the Tromix stock and asked there. I got much of the same answers you see in this thread: "I got it and I'm glad I did" or "I wish I had gotten it earlier".

I've yet to find someone that said they wish they hadn't gotten it. I've heard people say that it was expensive, and that it increases the LOP, but that's it. If I had to find anything bad to say about it (besides cost), if you're a perfectionist, sometimes a LS won't have a completely smooth finish from where it had to be ground/sanded down to fit the stock. It's just cosmetic, but still, I know some folks want everything to look perfect.

If this bothers you though, you can detach the stock w/LS pad and put it in your freezer overnight. Then you can sand the pad smooth the next day before it gets rubbery again. You have about 5 or 10 minutes, depending on the room temperature. I did this to mine and it turned out nice.

Corbin

The limbsaver is a very nice recoil pad, and considering the labor involved in getting it to fit right I can easily see it costing $65 being provided as an already flush fit device.

I fit the one in my avatar myself and I can say it's easy to screw up! I got lucky because the pad was so much larger that I was able to correct my mistakes and still cut down to the proper size.

I've shot a tromix stock with no pad and just 20 rounds of birdshot left bruising on my shoulder. I can put 200 rnds through my gun in one outing with the limbsaver and my shoulder doesn't feel or show anything. There is a sealed air pocket inside that deforms and absorbs a lot of recoil. It's an amazing noticeable difference.

Edited by hobbyshooter

Alright guys, thanks for your input. It looks like I am going to have to put off my conversion for a little while longer as I start to collect the parts. I would rather have it done right the first time. I do not worry about my shoulder brusing as much, but I also like my wife to shoot my stuff every now and again. And if it is too painful, its a one time thing. Thanks for the input, looks like tomix gets the nod.

Alright guys, thanks for your input. It looks like I am going to have to put off my conversion for a little while longer as I start to collect the parts. I would rather have it done right the first time. I do not worry about my shoulder brusing as much, but I also like my wife to shoot my stuff every now and again. And if it is too painful, its a one time thing. Thanks for the input, looks like tomix gets the nod.

Without a limbsaver they are still fun as hell to shoot but the limbsaver can easily triple the amount of ammo you will comfortably feed your gun in a sitting.

Even with the limbsaver my wife won't put more than about 2 rounds through it before handing it off and going back to the revolver. lol She just isn't as facinated with the Saiga as I am, but she loves the little SP101. :unsure:

Edited by hobbyshooter
The pad is about 40 bucks retail, and Tony installs and grinds it to fit. I guess you could install it yourself and save a few bucks.

Personally I prefer painful recoil, so it's not an issue for me.

Any advice for grinding off the old hard plastic from the Tromix Competition Stock in order to put the limbsaver pad on it? My gunsmith was unwilling to try to grind it off. He said I need to do it myself or find someone who can grind it off. I don't have the tools to grind it off. So I guess what I'm really asking is what should I tell someone to keep in mind when they grind it off? And any ideas on where I could go to find someone who can do it? I already have the limbsaver pad.

Thanks!

Edited by triathlon