Homemade Wood Stock & Pistol Grip --considering classic AK47

Hello all.

Just first want to thank all of you for providing such great information based on your experiences here.

I am new to the Saiga 7.62.

I want to do the basic conversion and then I am considering doing the stock and pistol grip in wood for the classic AK look.

Oh... And even the hand guard / forend.

Couple of questions though...

#1 If the wood stock, wood pistol grip/ guards are HOMEMADE, can it count toward my US (922r) part count?

#2 Opinions if you think this is a worthwhile venture?

#3 Besides moving the trigger group? Would I need a gas piston and the forward hand guard clamps?

Please help with any info you can provide.

I really love the classic AK wood look and prefer this over polymenr if at all possible,

Thanks

Dave in Naples

Home made would count to 922r compliance, if made in the US. You would be better of going with Ironwood Designs furniture, though. They have traditional, quality US made AK wood stocks and forearms. If I wasn't going for the AK103 look, I planned on getting compliant wood from them. Prices are reasonable, too. A red or brown bakelite pistol grip would be appropriate with the wood.

Handguards are a BIG PAIN to make!

with US made furniture and FCG you dont need a US piston you can keep the stock one. For the handguard retainer you can modify a standard AK one or you can buy a dinzag one made to fit saiga with no mods to it, but it will cost you. If you want standard ak handguards you will need to get a handguard retainer and a AK gas tube. good luck and congrads on the saiga

Don't let yourself be talked out of it so easy. Making your own gun furniture is really rewarding in the end. It just takes patients. Do you have any tools or experience for the job? I really didn't when I first started. If you can't afford expensive tools at least buy yourself a dremmel. If you're planning on not using a lot of power tools here is one tool for handguard making that I like.- http://us.microplane.com/index.asp?PageAct...D&ProdID=55

I find the best way for me to make the stuff is to take it slow, and when I'm sick of working on it, I set it a side. If you want traditional AK styled stuff buy the polymer parts so you'll have reference material for making the wood parts. You'll also not have the frustration of not being able to shoot you're rifle because you don't have the parts made yet.

Don't have too high of expectations at first. (I'm still far from perfect) Wood projects I work on don't always come out like a carbon copy of what I envisioned, but I'm getting better.