You're gonna get a lot of folk's undies in a knot.

Saiga-12 forum > General discussion > Wanna make your own receiver?

HELL YEAH! is gonna be rhe response from some, with a vicious letdown when they arrive.

Edited by nalioth
Yeah those are not exactly worth it.. You will have 50+ hours into cutting out one and it will likely have a problem or two when done.. What are lowers going for now? 75.00? 110.00?

. . . . but they'll make damned cheap and unique gifts! :haha:

Yeah those are not exactly worth it.. You will have 50+ hours into cutting out one and it will likely have a problem or two when done.. What are lowers going for now? 75.00? 110.00?

I will let you know how long it takes me to mill mine out.

It should be here in a couple of days!!! LET THE CHIPS FLY!!!

It is cool saying you built your own AR-15, it is cooler saying you BUILT your own AR-15 :)

DSArms has them for $74.85 for 3 0% receivers.

http://www.dsarms.com/AR15-Lower-Receiver-...oductinfo/1001/

I actually picked up the gigs from CNC Gunsmithing and the large collection of drill bits from ENCO, going to try to build my own, this summer when I get a work room setup and maybe a cheap mill.

The average home-builder seems to spend anywheres between 10-25 hours on a receiver depending on experience level and equipment, so this isn't the most economical option by any means. It is, however, lots of fun, and a great learning experience if you are a budding machinist.

They also fail to mention that a decent lathe is the only truly viable option for most of the threading and drilling operations, or that without very fine grade elongated endmills, the back and through cut on the FCG cavity is going to be a pain... and the magwell is either going to be ten hours of drilling and filing to achieve a decent fit, or $30-40 for a machinist with an EDM machine or a large upright broaching press to finish.

As for presents, you can't transfer a machined receiver in ANY form to another individual. Some people think it's safe to abide by an 80% definition and mill in the contours of the milling or engrave the faces for friends, but as of yet, the forgings are the only parts deemed unregulated by the ATF. That 80% deal is greatly misused.

As for presents, you can't transfer a machined receiver in ANY form to another individual. Some people think it's safe to abide by an 80% definition and mill in the contours of the milling or engrave the faces for friends, but as of yet, the forgings are the only parts deemed unregulated by the ATF. That 80% deal is greatly misused.
. . so laser etching a scene on the side of one of these 0% forgings makes it a "firearm"?
The average home-builder seems to spend anywheres between 10-25 hours on a receiver depending on experience level and equipment, so this isn't the most economical option by any means. It is, however, lots of fun, and a great learning experience if you are a budding machinist.

They also fail to mention that a decent lathe is the only truly viable option for most of the threading and drilling operations, or that without very fine grade elongated endmills, the back and through cut on the FCG cavity is going to be a pain... and the magwell is either going to be ten hours of drilling and filing to achieve a decent fit, or $30-40 for a machinist with an EDM machine or a large upright broaching press to finish.

Judging by several letters from the ATF you are less than 80% on an AR lower forging as long as the FCG housing and FCG pin holes are not milled and drilled yet.

These are also the easiest points to get right with a proper jig.

The buffer tube hole, take down pin holes, and pin retainer holes are easier to screw up.

Judging by several letters from the ATF you are less than 80% on an AR lower forging as long as the FCG housing and FCG pin holes are not milled and drilled yet.

These are also the easiest points to get right with a proper jig.

The buffer tube hole, take down pin holes, and pin retainer holes are easier to screw up.

This is kind of off topic, but since you mentioned AR parts, do you know what the legalities of an M16 bolt and bolt carrier are? They used to be legal to buy years ago, but I've heard they have been classified as a machine gun just for the parts now. I don't know, just have heard rumors.

This is kind of off topic, but since you mentioned AR parts, do you know what the legalities of an M16 bolt and bolt carrier are? They used to be legal to buy years ago, but I've heard they have been classified as a machine gun just for the parts now. I don't know, just have heard rumors.
Only if you live in Washington state.

Possession of "full auto" parts is a felony there.