I am pretty new to this, and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers. I went down to the local trap/skeet range and shot the other day. Skeet wasn't that bad, but when it came to the wobble course, or the 5 stand I think I am going to need some kind of choke. Is the Poly Choke II worth the money, or what direction should I go with my Saiga-12? Thanks

bosch21

• 1 month later...
I am pretty new to this, and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers. I went down to the local trap/skeet range and shot the other day. Skeet wasn't that bad, but when it came to the wobble course, or the 5 stand I think I am going to need some kind of choke. Is the Poly Choke II worth the money, or what direction should I go with my Saiga-12? Thanks

bosch21

i've shot a lot of skeet and trap with my saigas, my club even has a saiga summer skeet league because so many of us have them.

but when it comes to trap or 5 stand you need a choke, i bought the factory set of chokes for something like $85, comes with cylinder, mod and full, mod has worked just fine on trap.

if the wobble course you're talking about is wobble skeet, you dont change from a cylinder choke, you try to break the targets around the same spot as regular skeet, the only thing that changes is the elevation they are flying, they are still the same distance away from you

• 2 months later...

THREAD NECROMANCY!

Anyways, I went trap shooting for the first time this past weekend with Zenmetsu. Just an hour before that was my first time even shooting clays or any moving target for that matter.

I thought I did pretty good for my first time I think we did 12 stations with 4 clays each and I hit 16(?) clays. Zen was saying that a lot of it was because we needed some chokes for the further targets(those being the general ones I missed) but I was more inclined to believe it was just that I suck at clays lol.

How well compared to other shotguns is the S12 for trap??

I am not sure but I think we had a purist come up and tell Zen and I how the Saigas aren't good for trap and that we will never be able to match normal shotguns...

That "purist" did not even know what the hell my gun was at first, remember? How is he to know what is good and what is not.

The shorter sight radius on the Saiga allows for quicker sighting, but less accuracy. You can put a raised front sight block out on the muzzle and then it is all good.

His primary line of reasoning was centered around the lack of a choke. He said that the saiga wouldn't be good for trap as he looked into the muzzle and saw a lack of threads. That is why i pointed out that the Saiga was threaded on the outside of the barrel.

There are plenty of folk who do trap/5-stand out here with Saigas and they do quite well.