Any full auto tests for the MD20 out there?

Hi Im new to the boards, just recieved my MD20, and have gotten a mint's worth of information and guidance from these awesome forums!

I have had some trouble finding out how the MD20 performs w/ full auto Saiga12's.

Does anyone have any info on that?

Full auto doesn't cycle the bolt any faster than semi auto. Anything that works semi auto will work full auto.

thats fine for one shot at a time, but i doubt you can realistically pull your trigger finger at 520 rpm. one shot, great, 15-20? doubt you can pull it that fast...bump firing really isnt a good comparison, as it does not account for the physics (namely inertia) of physically having to hold the weapon on target.

• 3 weeks later...

Twinsen,

Rate of fire (ROF) will certainly play a role in how well a mag can feed. A mag that feeds fine in semi auto may not work in full auto depending on the ROF. Keeping up with semi auto is often a different story from keeping up in full auto.

Bvamp,

That ROF seemed much faster than 520 RPM. I'd guess closer to 850.

Jake

Edited by jmacken37
  • 1 month later...

OK

Closed bolt guns do not out run there mags in fullauto VS semiauto

The time it takes to cycle the bolt and rechamber a round after each shot is IDENTICAL whether in fullauto or semiauto.

The problem with out running mags is an open bolt gun issue

Edited by NEFOZ
  • 4 months later...

Bumpfiring isn't as reliable as full auto, since the weapon itself has to use some of the recoil inertia to move back and reset the trigger. You probably already know that, but here's a video of someone bumpfiring a Saiga 12 with MD-20 drum:

Here's a guy that just has a really fast trigger finger:

I have a couple drums, and although I can pull the trigger fast, it's nowhere near the rate a true automatic can do. I like to put 100 rounds or so through a drum to make sure everything running smoothly (and it's just fun). One drum had to "break in" the first 20 rounds. After that, it ran fine.

The MD-20 drum CAN have the spring tension adjusted for lighter or heavier rounds. Lighter rounds can sometimes have difficulty pushing the carrier back if the top round in the mag is being pressed too hard into the bottom of the carrier. Conversely, heavier loads might kick the carrier back faster, and if the drum spring isn't strong enough, the round won't come up fast enough for the bolt to catch it.

Obviously, your Saiga should be broken in and able to cycle reliably before making a determination on mags, drums, or any other parts that can affect function. We sometimes get new owners on this forum saying "I just bought my first Saiga and tried out an AGP,Surefire, etc magazine and it failed to eject. Those mags suck." :rolleyes:

A smooth (preferably polished) action on a broken in Saiga 12, combined with an MD-20 drum is a whole new experience to shoot. :super:

Hope this helps.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 1

Actually full auto can effect magazine feed. But it is harmonics (vibration) that can cause problems. It isn't an issue with the very, very most FAs. If the feedrate is around 1200rpm or more it can start to be an issue... But not many guns fire that fast.

Here are some good full auto videos of the drum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VDM0xFg6xk