Possible to install the akbuilder S-12 triggerguard with screws/lockin

Hey all,

I just got my S-12 back from warranty work at CGW a few days ago, took her out today to run a few dozen shells through her, and she's workin great with Gunfixr's gas plug. She runs higher brass birdshot on the 1+ setting, and Federal wallyworld birdshot on setting 2 with no problems. Much improved from before I sent her in for her "check-up". :smoke:

I have all my conversion parts in order, (I think), and am ready to turn this "sporter" shotgun into what she was meant to be.

Anyway, please forgive my ignorance here, but here's my conversion question: is it possible to install the akbuilder S-12 triggerguard, (which is what I have), with screws instead of rivets? That's what I'd planned to do, but I tore her down tonight, drilled out the pins and removed the old triggergroup etc, and I'm not sure if there's enough room for screws/nuts rather than lower profile rivets in the part of the receiver where the forward part of this triggerguard is meant to be attached.

TIA for help/advice on this.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I used the Tapco screw set on mine and it works fine. It is difficult to get them started, but with needle nose & patience, they will work.

BTW, I used an original Romanian part from KVAR and used the original safety stop between the trigger guard and receiver.

If you can weld the nut down so you dont have to retighten. At a miniimum get the purple loc tite and apply liberally so you wont have to screw them back in all the time as shooting this gun tends to rattle them loose very easily, especially with slugs.

If you can weld the nut down so you dont have to retighten. At a miniimum get the purple loc tite and apply liberally so you wont have to screw them back in all the time as shooting this gun tends to rattle them loose very easily, especially with slugs.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, welding isn't really an option for me. I was going to use red loctite, but per your suggestion I'll go with the stronger purple.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
Yes,in fact other than appearance screws are superior and as much a 7x stronger than home shop type rivets because they are hardened.

Where do you get that info? This has been discussed in great length on the 1919a4 board. Screws can be used, they are harder to do than rivets. They were built with rivets from the factory, but I guess they don't know what they are doing. The factory used rivets because that is the best thing to use. You can make your own tools to do the rivets. Go to any of he ak forums and they show you how to make your own tools. Rivets are the way to go.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, welding isn't really an option for me. I was going to use red loctite, but per your suggestion I'll go with the stronger purple.

Red is stronger than purple.

Where do you get that info? This has been discussed in great length on the 1919a4 board. Screws can be used, they are harder to do than rivets. They were built with rivets from the factory, but I guess they don't know what they are doing. The factory used rivets because that is the best thing to use. You can make your own tools to do the rivets. Go to any of he ak forums and they show you how to make your own tools. Rivets are the way to go.

He got that from the fact that many people sell mild steel rivets (the kind you would press in your garage with a pair of questionable harbor freight bolt cutters) and they are in fact, mild steel, and relatively soft, and liable to wear. Hardened Carbon steel hardware, on the other hand, is, in fact, hardened carbon steel. This isnt a matter of construction technique, but logic as applied to materials. Apples are Apples and Oranges are Oranges. Get hardened steel rivets and a nice press, and i doubt anyone would question the durability of your rivets at all, and i doubt either technique would be prone to failure, but it is a fact that hardened steel is harder than mild steel, no matter what anyone says. All the original poster asked is if he could use screws on his triggerguard, and he can, obviously, as you can build the entire AK with screws without a problem.

Red is stronger than purple.

I thought it started at red and went up in strength from there.. duh.. :wacko:

Yeah, show's you how long it's been since I've needed any. I probably would have figured this out at the hardware store before I bought some.. probably.. :D

So red's strong enough for this purpose?

I prefer to use screws to mount trigger guards. Much easier to fix if I foul something up or I just want to alter something.

When I start building some of my newer kits, I'm going to rivet the trunnions but still screw the trigger guards in place.

I am cheap and just take square nuts and grind 2 sides down just enough so that I have just enough room in the receiver for the nut.

So red's strong enough for this purpose?

Red is what they call "permenant". It requires heat to help break the seal should you ever choose to remove it.

Blue is for stuff you may want to remove but don't want coming loose in the mean time. Purple is the same only, for smaller screws.