thoughts on pistol and pistol caliber carbine combo?

for a while, i've been thinking about getting a small 9mm, .40, or .45 carbine and a pistol that would use the same mags and ammo loads. what are you guy's thoughts? gun price and ammo price are a concern, so i'm leaning toward 9mm.

the beretta cx4 storm looks great, but i don't think i'll be able to shell out $800 for a new carbine and $600 for a new pistol

the kel-tec sub2000 using glock 19 mags sounds like a good combo. looks like i can use g17 17rd mags, g19 15rd mags, or glock 33rd mags. i've only known one guy with a sub2000. he likes it, but said his gun was picky about ammo. anybody with experience with what's reliable on these, or does it mostly depend on that particular gun? on the plus side, the kel-tec+glock 19 would run $900 or less, new.

i'm not really considering a hi-point carbine. if i could use glock mags, then it would be an option

is there anything out there that i'm missing? i hear ruger used to have a carbine that used pistol mags

I have a ruger pc9 carbine, its a well made but heavy little gun, not overly powerful but all the same plenty of fun out to about 75 yards. i had a ruger p85 pistol and the mags were interchangable. i didnt realy get on with the pistol but the carbine is still in the safe and one of my favourites. if you can find one grab it, also i have heard the .40 cal version is quite a bit more powerful, maybe something to think about?

Edited by second shooter

Well, getting a carbine/pistol combo would be cool, same on $$ with using different ammos but getting a gun set that uses the same mags I wouldn't do. I prefer the 9mm RRA or Spike's tactical carbine with a 9mm like S&W M&P 9, they don't use the same mags but both guns are top notch and won't fail you. I'm not a fan of the beretta and hi-point/kel tec carbines...the hi point and kel tecs feel very unrefined but the beretta just doesn't feel as good to me as a 9mm AR carbine. Personally, I'm going with a HK USC to UMP NFA converison with a M&P 45

If you want to check out what the owners say, go to http://www.ktog.org/ It's the Kel-Tec owners group. Some people may feel they are somehow a "lesser" gun, but they are made in America and have a LIFETIME guarantee. Kind of like the Saiga, some require a "fluff and buff" to run 100%. The Glock pistol is probably hands down the best all around pistol you could ever choose (in any caliber - IMHO), but to pair it up with a reasonably priced Kel-Tec just makes sense. I did kind of the same thing, but I went with a Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol to go with my AR15 to save on ammo costs and magazine compatibility. My PLR jammed a couple of times on the 2nd mag full right out of the box, but I'm pretty sure it was just the magazine, as I tried 11 different mags with it and only had the issues on that one. I also called them up to order a part, and they sent it to me in 2 days free of charge. I am extremely pleased with the customer service and the pistol in particular. Most people either love them or hate them, but you would have a hard time finding a more devoted group of the supporters, except for maybe the S12!

Is there any specific reason why you want a pistol-caliber carbine? If it's just for fun, that's cool, but if it's a self-defense tool, you could do a lot better. Intermediate rifle cartridges are capable of better accuracy and terminal ballistics, and there are plenty of lightweight, handy carbines chambered in .223 and 7.62x39. If it's the interchangeability of mags that you're after, why cripple your primary weapon in order to facilitate your secondary? I think a rifle-caliber pistol/carbine combo would be a better choice. As for rifle-caliber pistols, I am quite fond of my PLR-16. They're cheap, capable of insane accuracy, and in the ~2k rounds of lacquer-coated steel-cased ammo I've run through mine I have had precisely zero malfunctions.

I used to have a Marlin Camp 9 and a S&W 5906 Combo. It was interesting, but mostly because it was the only way I could carry a Carbine on duty at the time. The little Marlin did give a fair account of itself in the accuracy department! I kind of wish I had not sold the pair.

My buddy went with the Kel-Tec and Glock 19 combo. He's really happy with both, and the Kel-Tec folds and stores very well with the Glock in a confined space. Only problem is, it put him on a Glock buying binge...lol. Now he's got 4 and counting...

Today, a guy at the range had a Beretta CX4 9mm... We traded weapons for awhile, CX4 for S12.

The CX4 was ergonomically comfortable and unlike some of the newer plastic toys, felt like a weapon, not a toy.

The ease of converting from his left handedness to my right was very cool, as was it's ease of take down.

The only con I found on the Beretta was it's trigger.

Fair bit of slack to take up, then a rather heavy pull, but crisp.

I initially felt like it was forcing me to jerk the trigger, heavy as it was, but concentration on a slow & steady squeeze gave me very decent groupings at 25-50 yards.

Fun to plink targets with, but when I need a carbine/rifle, I want the generally associated higher firepower/range.

Maybe if I already had a compatible pistol, I'd get one primarily for target, and as another option for home defense.

He commented on how light and smooth my trigger was, sported a huge grin after quickly ripping thru a few 10rnd mags.

Asked a easy dozen questions and stated he just found his next gun.

Another soul turned to the darkside :devil:

Edited by ChileRelleno
Today, a guy at the range had a Beretta CX4 9mm... We traded weapons for awhile, CX4 for S12.

The CX4 was ergonomically comfortable and unlike some of the newer plastic toys, felt like a weapon, not a toy.

The ease of converting from his left handedness to my right was very cool, as was it's ease of take down.

The only con I found on the Beretta was it's trigger.

Fair bit of slack to take up, then a rather heavy pull, but crisp.

I initially felt like it was forcing me to jerk the trigger, heavy as it was, but concentration on a slow & steady squeeze gave me very decent groupings at 25-50 yards.

Fun to plink targets with, but when I need a carbine/rifle, I want the generally associated higher firepower/range.

Maybe if I already had a compatible pistol, I'd get one primarily for target, and as another option for home defense.

He commented on how light and smooth my trigger was, sported a huge grin after quickly ripping thru a few 10rnd mags.

Asked a easy dozen questions and stated he just found his next gun.

Another soul turned to the darkside :devil:

I just purchased a px4 in 9mm and have been thinking about getting the 45 as well. I have not seen any cx4 carbines to get a feel for it yet. I like them, I want one. But have other guns on my "to get" list before it.

Edited by obake

I've got the Kel-tec/glock 19 combo, the CX4/92 combo, and the 5.7/PS90. The kel-tec just feels like a toy gun & the trigger is hard as hell. The CX4 is a better shooter, but has more recoil that the Kel-tec, but by far the best combo to have is the 5.7/PS90, with 30 rounds in the pistol and 50 in the carbine, it's by far the best. But it's also fun to play with the 454 raging bull and the Puma 454 lever action, but get ready for asore shoulder and hand. :):)

I'd go with a Kel-Tec Sub 2K combined with your choice of compatible handgun. The folding feature of the Sub 2K means it fits in a backpack, laptop case, under a car seat, in a dresser drawer, etc. I've got 3 Kel-Tec guns, and I love them all. Plus, like it's been said, they're made in American, and have a lifetime warranty. Their customer service is absolutely excellent, but make sure you call and don't email if you ever need anything from them.

id say check out FN... the 5.7..good stuff

I'd like to have a 5.7 combo too.

The thing that gets to me is the cost & availability of the ammo.

Yes, you can get it, but it's not like you can stop at Walmart for it.

Maybe Termite has some feedback on 5.7 availability.

Ammo at a decent price is not hard to find,and YES, you can't pull into waldo world and get it, most of the high school kids working there just look at you with a glazed over look when you ask for it, but if you want to have some fun, go in and ask them to look in the case for it. :):) 50 round boxes of both the 195 and 197 can still be bought for about $19.00. It's the same .224 bullet that any .223 rifle shoots, but reloading them can cause you headaches or worse, if you don't pay attention. The prices on the pistols have come down a few dollars over what I paid for mine, but the carbines have gone up a few, but if you get a carbine, buy the TRI RAIL, they are a little cheaper and those pissy ass factory sights suck crap thru a straw. Also, if you buy one, ask them to let you take it apart, the PS90 has the saftey sear in it to keep it from firing out of battery. I have heard that FN was going to stop suppling the trigger groups with this, but I would not buy one without it. They are also NOT can friendly straight out of the box, you will have to buy a short barrel, pay the $200.00 tax stamp, for the SBR, then another $200.00 stamp for the can if you want to run a can, or do as I did, since a SBR is illegal in my state, make or have made an adapter for the end to go to 1/2x28 threads. I made my own, only took 4 days, ass load of figuring out dimensions, and TONS of cussing, but I finally got it right. But the PS90 with my can is my go to gun at night for the dogs and occasional coyote in the yard, not as loud a my Ruger 10/22 with hi velocity loads.

People can say all they want to that the 5.7x28 is a glorified 22, but stand out about 100 - 150 yards and let me shoot you with it, and NO, I won't be using the 195 or 197 ammo, just 32 gr varmint grenades, but I will give you the choice.

I have seen Tony's post over on one of the 5.7 sites, they kind of dissed him on his post, and to hear all those "rocket scientist" talk about the PS90, they know it all, but believe me, a cheap ass adapter would sale better that a $200 tax stamp, and no, he wasn't talking about that, he was asking about knecking up the cases for something around a 7mm bullet, now the PS90 with a 7mm bullet in sub sonic would be cool as shit. Tony is thinking of something????????????????????????????????

Edited by termite

I went with a .44 Magnum Revolver and Lever action combo. My Marlin lever action can be "topped-off" with ammo at any time during a zombie attack and a couple of speedloaders can keep the revolver fed quickly. No worry about magazines. Ultra reliable! But if you want semi auto, I have seen some very nice pistol/carbine conversions for 1911's and Glock .40 cals. They are simple and require no government paperwork because it is just the barrel and stock. They run about $400 bucks though. I hate to say it but if you want budget style zombie protection you could always look at the Hi-piont 9mm pistol and 995 carbine in 9mm. They also do .40 cal. I actually will admit that I have a 995 in 9mm and it is actually a wonderful little gun! It just feels a little toy-like.