S12 with SVDS folder and magwell finally done

After a few months of scrounging the parts and a trip to Keith at tac47industries.com, here it is at last :)

New parts include CSS reduced power mainspring, CSS replica 10 slot flashhider, Russian S12 front sight post, SVDS folder on 5.5mm trunnion, Izzy PG and Russian magwell with 8 round mag.

About the only things I'd like to do to it is get a hinged krink cover with Stormwerks rail installed and possibly SBR it to about 12-14 inches, otherwise I consider this my perfect Saiga.

Also have to give a big thumbs up to Keith at Tac47 Industries. He was very thorough and did an amazing job. The man definately knows his way around a Saiga and AK's in general, plus is very friendly and easy to deal with. If you're looking for someone solid to do the more complicated conversions tricks like trunnion side folders and welding up conversion holes he's a great guy and will handle it right.

Before:

S12New01.JPG

H-S12-02.JPG

After:

S12MagWell_003.JPG

S12MagWell_L_001.JPG

S12MagWell_R.JPG

S12MagWellFold_001.JPG

S12MagWellFold_002.JPG

S12MagWell_Kobra.JPG

S12MagWell_008.JPG

S12MagWell_009.JPG

S12MagWell_010.JPG

Z

The gun looks great, defiantly one of best I've seen. Congrats!

This may be a dumb question but what is the "Button?" on the left side above the mag well (just below the Cyrillic Saiga 12 markingt)?

Looks like a stock latch, to keep the stock folded

What kind of optic is that?

Thats a PK-AS red dot. Great optic, has an always on black dot and ring plus the dot can be illuminated red. It's very finicky to zero on a rifle because of the elevation screw which is under the body, but for an S12 I think it's nearly perfect because a fine zero is not necessary. I just wish I had bought 3 or 4 back in the day when you could find them.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Z

What kind of optic is that?

Thats a PK-AS red dot. Great optic, has an always on black dot and ring plus the dot can be illuminated red. It's very finicky to zero on a rifle because of the elevation screw which is under the body, but for an S12 I think it's nearly perfect because a fine zero is not necessary. I just wish I had bought 3 or 4 back in the day when you could find them.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Z

Was wonderng if it might be. This one mounts to the side of the bore Russian style, not directly over it? I've been looking for a PK-ASV that mounts down the center line since I shoot left, but like you said, these are rare birds these days... :(

JP, yes it sits off to the left but really they are designed for both eyes open shooting and once you get used to it it's pretty effective. For room clearing type situations it's great. I think it's the best all around combloc red dot because of it's overall simplicity. It's not as easy to zero as a Kobra but gives a better/different field of view and doesn't require batteries to work. That helps eliminate some of the murphy effect because it's always got the black dot. It's a tough scope and can take some hard knocks too and doesn't have the occasional problem of the Kobra emitter getting blocked by rain or dirt. It also has the PK-A beat hands down other than the how easy the PK-A is to zero. Problem with the PK-A is that it's like looking down a tunnel...makes the scope tough like a POSP I think but it's a very noticeable disadvantage compared to the PK-AS.

It has it's drawbacks, like I mentioned it's a bit of a pain to zero. Also if the windage and elevation nuts aren't tight the back post can pop out, making the dot look down into the dirt and throwing your aim off. I doubt it would be an issue with rifle calibers and I had never seen it happen before, but the S12 beat the hell out of the PK-AS and it did in fact pop out in the back. Easy fix though, I put it on the bench and used a hammer and the front site tool from the cleaning kit. Couple good wacks and it was back down in the slot, tightened the nuts and it ran like a champ after that. That's actually the only problem I've ever seen with the PK-AS in all my years of shooting combloc optics.

Raoul, yes that is indeed ASC, we were there a couple months ago and had a blast with the S12. I'll more than likely be there again this coming Saturday too, going to test the magwell on the 12 and break in a couple of SBR Krinks that are also finally finished. I'll either be zeroing the Krinks at 50 or down on the shotgun end with the S12, so come on down if you happen to be in there.

Z

[Opinion]

Gentlemen, the bar has been set.

That is a conversion I could get behind. Everything done right. (Although I would still lose the optics)

A magwell that functions and looks 100% and made for this weapon

A PG that is original and not meant to look like _____ (insert variant)

A TG without funky bends, again model correct

A buttstock that matches the weapon and folds correctly and ergonomically

A flashider instead of a holesaw-looking "break"

A finish that actually matches with no mysterious holes, screwheads or rivots

I'm sure the OP dropped serious coin for this, I would think so. He got his money's worth.

If I were going to convert (which I'm not) this would be my platform and nothing less.

How does the saying go.... "Accept no substitutes."

[/Opinion]

Now I've got to go back and read the thread to see how 922r comes to play if at all. (I did see the G2...) :blues:

Edited by TheDarkHorse
[Opinion]

Gentlemen, the bar has been set.

That is a conversion I could get behind. Everything done right. (Although I would still lose the optics)

A magwell that functions and looks 100% and made for this weapon

A PG that is original and not meant to look like _____ (insert variant)

A TG without funky bends, again model correct

A buttstock that matches the weapon and folds correctly and ergonomically

A flashider instead of a holesaw-looking "break"

A finish that actually matches with no mysterious holes, screwheads or rivots

I'm sure the OP dropped serious coin for this, I would think so. He got his money's worth.

If I were going to convert (which I'm not) this would be my platform and nothing less.

How does the saying go.... "Accept no substitutes."

[/Opinion]

Now I've got to go back and read the thread to see how 922r comes to play if at all. (I did see the G2...) :blues:

He should be fine with 922.

Looks like he has a G2 trigger, a US front hand guard, possibly a US made Flash Hider from DPH.

5 parts, he should be good.

sKott

G2 trigger, DPH 10 slot flash hider from CSS, US hand guards and just to be on the safe side I ordered a CHAOS puck. Since I'm only going to be using 8 round magwell mags I have to be sure it's compliant on it's own.

I haven't heard of anyone being prosecuted for 922r but I'm not going to be the test case ;)

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
Raoul, yes that is indeed ASC, we were there a couple months ago and had a blast with the S12. I'll more than likely be there again this coming Saturday too, going to test the magwell on the 12 and break in a couple of SBR Krinks that are also finally finished. I'll either be zeroing the Krinks at 50 or down on the shotgun end with the S12, so come on down if you happen to be in there.

Thanks for the invite! What time will you be there? I won't be able to make it until 2 or 3 at the earliest. What caliber are the Krinks?

This weekend I have to play it by ear, but normally I prefer to be on the ground around 08:00 when they open. I'm up for 2 or 3 but can't commit for sure til later this week because of some of wife's relatives coming in from overseas.

The Krinks are 7.62 (SLR107UR) and a bulgy 5.45 I finally got my stamp for, and maybe my 7.62 Saiga I also need to break in.

I'll let you know via PM later in the week but I'm always open to meeting for a shoot, so I'll swing it if I can.

Z

I really like the standard thin AK grips but the izzy is perfect for the S12. To me it seems like it helps you get a stronger grip which helps balance the weapon. They certainly are comfy and I suspect they are designed with the heavier recoil of the S12 in mind. I've also seen them on arfcom, a couple guys have them on their Krink's and have commented how much they like them.

Z