Buffers necessary?

I just got my tromix gun complete and I'm worried about doing any damage to the back of the receiver. Anyway, I was wondering what you guys think about the buffers they sell at the saiga12 store here. I was thinking about getting a few to put in my other Ak's as well. Let me know if you think they are needed or not. Thanks for the info!

Go to the Tromix main page and read #7 in the service tips section.

Para phrase : " Do not use a buffer in your Saiga shotgun" ect..... This is coming from the builder of your weapon directly, that being said, it is your gun and if you feel better w/ one installed, do it and if it doesn't operate correctly with it in remove it.

Yeah, the buffer issue is one that's got several pages worth of threads devoted to it: should you have one, should you not, etc, etc. Just do a search for "buffer" and you'll come up with several pages (I just did, and it's 15 pages).

Although I personally have a buffer in my Saiga 12 (one of my own manufacter), I understand that if I ever have a problem with my gun not working properly, the buffer would be the first thing I look at. My gun tends to be a tad overgassed however (4 holes unobstructed), so thus far, I haven't had an issue when using the buffer. I'm at about 600 rounds, birdshot buckshot and slugs.

If you're going to try one for yourself, I'd recommend a softer style, like the blue one BlackJack makes, and I think it's sold through the Estore here. I made mine out of a gel insole and it works wonderfully.

My buffer thread

Corbin

I've heard that saying before. Not sure I agree with that way of thinking 100%, but to each his own. It's kinda like saying that since Henry Ford didn't put seat belts in his cars originally, they aren't worth having in modern cars either. Buffers are cheap enough if he wants to try one out, he won't be out much money if his gun doesn't function well. If his gun is like mine and is overgassed, having a soft buffer couldn't hurt and it may just extend the weapon's life a little.

Just my outlook

Corbin

If it was meant to have a buffer Kalashnikov would have designed it with one.
Edited by Corbin
I've heard that saying before. Not sure I agree with that way of thinking 100%, but to each his own. It's kinda like saying that since Henry Ford didn't put seat belts in his cars originally, they aren't worth having in modern cars either. Buffers are cheap enough if he wants to try one out, he won't be out much money if his gun doesn't function well. If his gun is like mine and is overgassed, having a soft buffer couldn't hurt and it may just extend the weapon's life a little.

Just my outlook

Corbin

Your argument doesn't hold water.

When Mr. Ford rolled his first car off the line, the seat belt was not well known. It wasn't until the 1950s that the US saw it's first car with a seat belt as standard equipment.

When Mr. Kalashnikov designed the AK, buffers DID exist (and had been in use on other Russian small arms since the early 30s), and he was aware of them.

Not even going to waste my breath on this one. Use a buffer if you want to. It sure as hell doesn't hurt my guns. :rolleyes:

It's not like it's a permanent mod or something. You can put it in, fire your weapon, and take it back out, in less than one minute....

I'm sorry if you saw my statement as an "argument". It's not. Nor do I wish to argue about anything with people online. I'm just sharing my positive experience with my buffer in my Saiga. Perhaps if I had a different S-12, my experience with buffers would be way different.

As Cobra said, it's cheap and doesn't hurt your gun. If it doesn't work, take it out. If you want to use one, use one. If you don't want one, don't use one.

Corbin

*EDIT* I should add that I tried a regular hard buffer in my Saiga and it sucked. I think Blackjack makes a softer one though. Haven't tried it though.

Edited by Corbin

Just don't put one in your Tromix and then email or post that it doesn't run right, asking how to fix it.

I don't know about Corbin's gel insert, but a regular AK buffer is likely to stop an S-12 from cycling, and we recommend that you do not use one in your Tromix gun.