U.S. made Sporter Stock?

I just figured out how I can be 922r compliant with one of my x39 Saigas while retaining its classic sporter lines. Dinzag has a two U.S. part FCG for a factory configuration Saiga. I've got a Surefire three-rail fore-end...counts as one U.S. part. All I need now is a U.S. made buttstock; but I don't want a skeleton stock, folder or adjustable. I'm looking for a sporter stock just like the factory stock; it suits me fine.

Anyone know where I can get one? I promise not to post pictures if I do this.

I'd go with the gas piston, but reading the posts here convinced me that's not an easy swap.

Bob (IamnotaNinja)

Edited by 555JM

Its your gun, if you want a sporter stock on it by all means..

but then again it is the internet so get that flame retardant suit out ;)

As for your searching I can't recall if anybody made one specifically for the x39. I know BattlerifleG3 was making wood stock sets for the 100 series, which I believe would work for you. Now what his backlog might be...or if he even still makes furniture I don't know.

I just figured out how I can be 922r compliant with one of my x39 Saigas while retaining its classic sporter lines. Dinzag had a two U.S. part FCG for a factory configuration Saiga. I've got a Surefire three-rail fore-end...counts as one U.S. part. All I need now is a U.S. made buttstock; but I don't want a skeleton stock, folder or adjustable. I'm looking for a sporter stock just like the factory stock; it suits me fine.

Anyone know where I can get one? I promise not to post pictures if I do this.

I'd go with the gas piston, but reading the posts here convinced me that's not an easy swap.

Bob (IamnotaNinja)

There is a member on this forum who goes by BattleRifleG3 who makes custom furniture like the one in the pic below.

post-6703-1243999128.jpg

Here is a link to his thread. Its old but he still pokes his head in often

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=9471&st=30

Edited by Superhawk138

If I understand what you're trying to accomplish correctly, you could keep the original stock by installing the bullet guide and modifying your mag catch to accept US made 30 round AK mags (3 more compliant parts). The advantage being that the bullet guide is cheap and easy, the AK mags are cheap and plentiful.

Edited by Hoopster

the piston isnt a hard swap, just might take a little time with a hammer. or you could replace the stock with a US made wood stock (the weight is nice) as someone already mentioned member BRg3 makes nice stuff. If you want to go that way dont want a fancy stock, dont want to change the piston, but still want to use plentiful surplus mags, id recomend buying all the surplus mags you want and just replaceing the follower with a us made version.

this place sells a set of 4 for $11

http://www.marshhawkarms.com/page8.html

Never thought of replacing the mag followers, Rev., thanks.

Was starting to consider carving my own sporter stock. Something plain shouldn't be too difficult. Establishing U.S. provenance might be a little tricky. Maybe save the receipt for the stock blank and take some pictures of the project in progress.

Thanks again.

Bob

555JM,

I only use US made x39 mags in my guns.... CDNN HAD these, but they're out of stock.. I bought 10 because they worked so well!

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ak7630lemamo.html

If you can find them, you can actually load up 33-35rds in each mag... ALL US MADE.... They work w/o the bullet guide.... all you have to do is file a TINY bit off the rear lug on the mag and they lock in perfectly... I guess you COULD file off the mag catch a bit... anyway, if you can find them for $15, I'd pick up a few... :)

I don't think I can use those here in NY, SaigaN. We're limited to 10 round mags unless they're pre-ban metal Communist Bloc magazines. I've managed to pick up several 20 rd. and a couple of 30 rd. Comm bloc mags. (thanks to Copes Dist.) and expect to use those. Also have Dinzag's bullet guide. So, unless I can use the Reverend's mag. follower idea, the four parts are going to have to come out of the gun itself.

Carving a stock is a good winter project. Something to do between plowing the driveways and feeding the woodstove. If I screw up, it goes in the stove...won't be a total waste.

Bob

Id think, as the manufacturer of the stock, you would prove the provenance the same way other manufacturers of parts do...

Write "made in the US" on it. haha

Barring that, i haven't seen a woodcarving tutorial thread on this site, so take some pictures, upload them here, and you will have both documentation and something to give to the community.

I have one of the Arsenal SGL10s, with sporter stock, I prefer it to the pistol grip for some reason, so I understand your logic.

You're along the same track as me. I settled for a Russian wood stock:

1.7 Wood Furniture for 7.62/.223

New Wood Furniture set specifically for the .223 and 7.62 x 39 Saiga rifles. Made by Izmash and is composed of birch wood which has a smooth grain... $135.00

http://www.saigastock.com/index.php?main_p...4ksdu7df3fktm42

It is very attractive and was easy to install- though did require just a touch of filing. I'm adding the Dinzag trigger (when it finally arrives) and a gas piston (which came right away). I figure the piston can be no more complicated than the trigger group!

I have one of the Arsenal SGL10s, with sporter stock, I prefer it to the pistol grip for some reason, so I understand your logic.

I've found that when I throw the rifle to my shoulder with my eyes closed, I'm looking at lined up sights when I open my eyes. That's a good quality; one I don't want to give up.

Shooterboy:

Thanks for that link. Some good stuff there. I'm afraid the Izhmash made wood stock wouldn't work as it's made in Russia. It would fit just fine, but it wouldn't get me the 4th U.S. part for 922r. The camo plastic stock set they sell is probably of Russian origin as well, but I'll check with them and see.

Hoopster:

Sorry, missed your post 'til now. Yes, the plan is to install the Dinzag bullet guide. It'll be needed with the pre-ban Comm bloc mags; which are the only mags of over 10 rounds that are legal here in NY....as I understand. Unfortunately, the bullet guide doesn't count toward 922r compliance as a U.S. part.

Bob

If I understand what you're trying to accomplish correctly, you could keep the original stock by installing the bullet guide and modifying your mag catch to accept US made 30 round AK mags (3 more compliant parts). The advantage being that the bullet guide is cheap and easy, the AK mags are cheap and plentiful.

While Hoopster is right technically he is wrong legally. Doing this would work, but would be a 9.22r violation the minute you insert a foreign made magazine.

As for your original question, yes I did exactly what you're thinking of doing, though I cut the FCG parts myself from a set of Tapco parts. Well, I "did" it in theory I still need one more part since I haven't been able to remove that damn gas piston so I'm waiting to get a US made handguard before I install the bullet guide.

BattlerifleG3 made the stock for me and inletted it to take an SKS buttplate so I can use it to store my cleaning kit inside. I just never got around to posting pictures.

555JM -

You CAN use the US Mag followers - and floor plates - with the pre-ban mags in NY. Still being NY "hi-cap" compliant and 922r.

The mags still count as "Pre-ban" - they have simply been "repaired" using new parts. I'm pretty sure you'll find rust on your followers and floorplates if you look. They need repair.

The mag itself remains "pre-ban" (no different than say, putting a new stock or barrel on a pre-ban AR15 - it remains pre-ban.)

If you do convert, its a good way to use foreign furniture; fcg+grip+follower+floor+piston.

The followers at 4/$11 is pretty good. US floorplates are harder to find, but I've seen someplace on how to make them yourself.

555JM -

You CAN use the US Mag followers - and floor plates - with the pre-ban mags in NY. Still being NY "hi-cap" compliant and 922r.

The mags still count as "Pre-ban" - they have simply been "repaired" using new parts. I'm pretty sure you'll find rust on your followers and floorplates if you look. They need repair.

The mag itself remains "pre-ban" (no different than say, putting a new stock or barrel on a pre-ban AR15 - it remains pre-ban.)

If you do convert, its a good way to use foreign furniture; fcg+grip+follower+floor+piston.

The followers at 4/$11 is pretty good. US floorplates are harder to find, but I've seen someplace on how to make them yourself.

That's certainly the cheapest way to get the fourth part, bk. One in the forearm; two in Dinzag's sporter fcg; and the fourth in the magazine follower. Sounds like I'm good to go. Are you here in NY somewhere? Baldwinsville, maybe? Just curious.

Was kinda interested in carving that stock, though. May do it anyway. Was looking at building a muzzleloader before I got sidetracked into Saigas. Even bought chisels and carving tools. Carving something simple like a sporter stock might be a good learning project and help broaden the knowledge base here.

Bob