I know slugs are a no-no in some shotguns. If I recall correctly, they are not suitable in full chokes, but are okay in more open chokes.

I believe my modified S12 with an 18-3/8" barrel is Improved Cylinder.

Does anyone know if Brenneke slugs are safe to shoot in it, and are suitable?

Whichever slugs I decide on, they will be 2-3/4" shells.

I'd appreciate any advice in which slugs and loads would be most effective without excessive recoil.

Is there a more effective and perhaps more accurate slug than conventional rifled hollow nose slugs or Brennekes?

Thanks.

All I know is that I'm smacking myself in the head for firing one 2 3/4" rifled slug through my Polychoke II while it was set on "full" choke this afternoon. I completely forgot about the choke setting, (first time taking the gun out with the Polychoke installed), but did remember to change the gas setting. I don't think the one slug ruined my Polychoke by any means, but I'm pissed at myself for probably slightly damaging my $99 muzzle attachment due to pure, unadulterated absent-mindedness and eagerness to "kill that stump". :angry:

I know slugs are a no-no in some shotguns. If I recall correctly, they are not suitable in full chokes, but are okay in more open chokes.

I believe my modified S12 with an 18-3/8" barrel is Improved Cylinder.

Does anyone know if Brenneke slugs are safe to shoot in it, and are suitable?

Whichever slugs I decide on, they will be 2-3/4" shells.

I'd appreciate any advice in which slugs and loads would be most effective without excessive recoil.

Is there a more effective and perhaps more accurate slug than conventional rifled hollow nose slugs or Brennekes?

Thanks.

That first line is better put, "Some slugs are not compatible with certain bores/chokes."

Depends on what your doing with the slugs? Target, combat or hunting?

Brenneke's are fine, as are Foster's, Foster's supposedly offer better accuracy of the two.

Plenty of sabot slugs which are compatible with our smoothbores, they'll work better with a rifled choke.

You can shoot a regular slug or rifled slug or any lead slug that is hollow in the back through any choke up to and including full a hollow lead slug will easily squeeze through. You should use some sort of choke to shoot a slug accurately at longer distances. Solid and Sabot slugs are a different story and they don't squeeze down as easily and ideally require a cylinder choke (no choke) and a rifled choke or barrel. I have seen people shoot Sabots through modified barrels all the time though and I assume they manufacture the sabots softer and a bit smaller as avoid damage in these situations (they are not very accurate out of smooth bores).

Edited by lipadj46
You won't damage a polychoke shooting a rifled slug through it on full. A hollow lead slug is a pretty ductile thing.

Yeah.. after I got the gun home, and removed the Polychoke for cleaning.. I couldn't find any visible damage that the slug had done, but it's good to have this confirmed and as I said, I think I'll use the "slug" setting next time.

Even the rifling on solid Brenneke style slugs is meant to squeeze down as it passes through a choke tube. I once shot a slug through my Polychoke on "full" with no ill effects. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but doing it once resulted in no damage.

So, assuming my 18-3/8" barrel IS Improved Cylinder, as was stated when I bought it, any kind of slugs, including Brenneke and Fosters are okay in it?

I haven't fired it yet, as I'm still putting my finishing touches on it, but so far have a few rifled hollow nose conventional slugs, 5 Federal, 10 Winchester, just for starters.

I do want to get some Brennekes and maybe Fosters for better long range accuracy and terminal performance at range.

Use will be for self-defense, but I'll need to practice and maintain proficiency (after my sternum is completely fused), and will burn up some ammo doing it. That means a good number of slugs, so I need to buy what's best for the barrel and make sure I'm not abusing it.

So, assuming my 18-3/8" barrel IS Improved Cylinder, as was stated when I bought it, any kind of slugs, including Brenneke and Fosters are okay in it?

I haven't fired it yet, as I'm still putting my finishing touches on it, but so far have a few rifled hollow nose conventional slugs, 5 Federal, 10 Winchester, just for starters.

I do want to get some Brennekes and maybe Fosters for better long range accuracy and terminal performance at range.

Use will be for self-defense, but I'll need to practice and maintain proficiency (after my sternum is completely fused), and will burn up some ammo doing it. That means a good number of slugs, so I need to buy what's best for the barrel and make sure I'm not abusing it.

Yeah that is a good choke setting to use with any slugs as there is not much restriction just enough to help stabilize the slug on the way out.