Prices coming down?

Just stopped at the local gun shop, and they were no longer having people take numbers for service.

Same place I bought my new 308 at for $550. Asked if they thought prices would come down, and a counter guy said probably in a month, once the supply comes back.

Anyone else seeing this?

Dang! And here I thought I got a deal at $576. Oh well! I guess that means I just get another one when the prices come down a little more. This time the 22" inch setup for long range.

By the way. Does anyone know if someone offer a conversion to either M1A1 or FN FAL mags? With millions of them floating around they're a whole lot cheaper then the Saiga's High Capacity and a lot easier to come by I'm thinking.

Dang! And here I thought I got a deal at $576. Oh well! I guess that means I just get another one when the prices come down a little more. This time the 22" inch setup for long range.

By the way. Does anyone know if someone offer a conversion to either M1A1 or FN FAL mags? With millions of them floating around they're a whole lot cheaper then the Saiga's High Capacity and a lot easier to come by I'm thinking.

Keep your ears peeled for MSA's immanent announcement that's supposed to be really frickin' cool.

Ear to the ground,

Acer

KC Prices are starting to look better. One dealer (Show Me Shooters) is stocking both the 16 inch 7.62x39 and .223 rifles for $479 (down from $559). He doesn't have any .308's, but the last price I saw at a gunshow in MO (Springfield last month), the dealer said "make me an offer". So I said "five-hundred". He said, "How about $550?". I said "five-hundred is all I got.". He said to see him the next day around two o'clock and if it hadn't gone by then I could have it.

I probably would have gotten it, but Springfield is 3 hours away from KCMO, so hopefully it found a loving home somewhere.

People are broke,cheap guns like Saigas are selling for sane prices once again but expensive stuff like Galils,HKs,Uzis are flat as a pancake.Can't sell a gun worth more than $1500 to save your life because all of the high end gun buyers are gone.

I might buy another S12 when I find one for $500 or under spending more than $350 on another 7.62x39 Saiga just seems nuts to me

Edited by SOPMOD
Peach state has a sale now with the x39 for $369

Supply has overshot demand and a new equilibrium price support point is being sought. I am seeing this in the entry level AR market as well. With a little searching you can find $999 Bushy M-Forgery's in stock. The bubble has attracted entrants into the ammo market from locales as diverse as Turkey and Egypt thereby expanding supply greatly. I think we are in a deflationary period in the ammo and rifle/shotty market. CCW market is another matter as more and more people are getting into it as states pass more favorable i.e Constitutionally concordant laws.

Edited by 690gr
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree that saiga .308s are not worth 700.00, if mags cost 5.00 then sure. But at 40.00+ each it does detract from the rifles value.

Its a nice rifle but I look at the big picture cost of a firearm not just the price tag.

Sadly I have am starting to get the "going to work" feeling when I take my saiga .308 to the range. I have not had the chance to just go out shooting in a year. Rather I'm testing taking notes, collecting and examining brass.... BLAH Ok thats it Sunday I'm going to the range for fun. Now to find some gallon jugs and clean paint cans to fill with water :devil:

I think panic buying is cooling down, because ammo prices are still high, and availability sparse for certain calibers. To close the deal, many dealers are including ammo with the sale.

Edited by m1key

The prices have come down to near pre-panic levels. Almost anyone who had the means and urgent need to own a particular gun have gotten them by now, and gun sales are supposed to be slow over the summer. The real issue is ammo. It is still pretty widely unavaliable, and what is out there is not cheap. Gun prices may continue to come down if it costs an arm and a leg to shoot them. I don't know that the ammo demand will be met anytime soon.

Agree that saiga .308s are not worth 700.00, if mags cost 5.00 then sure. But at 40.00+ each it does detract from the rifles value.

Its a nice rifle but I look at the big picture cost of a firearm not just the price tag.

Sadly I have am starting to get the "going to work" feeling when I take my saiga .308 to the range. I have not had the chance to just go out shooting in a year. Rather I'm testing taking notes, collecting and examining brass.... BLAH Ok thats it Sunday I'm going to the range for fun. Now to find some gallon jugs and clean paint cans to fill with water :devil:

Perhaps you are missing a reason or goal to pursue with your shooting. May I suggest you go to an Appleseed near you? It really restored my reason to get to the range and train with rifles not just bounce beer cans around like I had been doing. You wont regret it. Appleseed website.

The worth of a weapon isn't determined by market value if it stands between you and the after life. If I want a tack driver cheap to shoot my Ruger and Marlin 22LRs fill that role. Ive heard enough ordinance go off to be long past the boom factor(but its still fun at times). The Saiga can be dragged through the mud and still fire every time, something we were always jealous of when using Uncle's .223. The main problem with the AK-47 has always been that x39 cartridge its just not accurate enough by American standards. The 308 fixes that issue in spades.

I was watching the history channel this week and the subject was a fire fight in Iraq IIRC. The five man squad carried One S.A.W. and 4 M16s plus side arms. Within two minutes two of the M16s and the SAW were out of commission, shortly after that only one M16 was functional. Of course the BGs AKs just kept rocking. Four did make it out but due more to heroics and some timely support than the rifles. Sorry to digress but it just under scored the importance of reliability. Of course training trumps all other factors but that's obvious.

Edited by Rhodes1968