if shtf what would you rather have?

which one would you rather have in a fire fight?  

442 members have voted

1. 1. gun choice

• saiga semi
    • AK-47
    • AR-15

I don't believe the whole x39 availability argument is any longer valid. With the soaring popularity of the Kalishnikov platform in recent years, I am seeing x39 being sold anywhere you find .223/5.56

Hell you can get mags and ammo at Academy Sports. So if The Shit Hits The Fan, you can likely recoup a few boxes at most any sporting goods store (just be looking out for walkers).

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Given these choices, the select fire AK47 is a clear winner!   Compared to the Saiga, you have; * Full auto capability. * better ergonomics, shorter length, better trigger, ability to accept h

well, im gonna just have to comment. this shtf crap cracks me up.     first of all, shit hits the fan and a firefight happening, ill run you the fuck over with my truck, for starters.     now,

The visual power of the AK in a real life disaster situation: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1563080/posts   Yakdung

Posted Images

About the troops taking away people in other countries weapons. And the guy who said he was going to invest in their freedom if they weren't, what happens if they want to "invest" in their own freedom? I'd think that would mean taking up arms an killing those taking away theirs freedoms, namely you the one taking away their weapons.

As far as what weapon to have. Ar15 hands down. People have said you won't be getting ammo from cops or military. No but if theirs a resistance movement they would be trying their damnest to get that ammo. At all costs.

And as far as cleaning goes. Any solvent would work pain thinner, gas, acetone. And I use mobile 1 for oil anyway. So just find some heavy weight motor oil and you good. That shouldn't be hard. Hell you could drain some from a car if you had to.

So for easy to find mags ad ammo. Spare parts and that I could carry three times the ammo of my next choice(saiga308) it's an ar15. Also I don't have any experience with the ar15 magged saiga 223 but if thy works well then that would be a good choice.

I would go with my AK-104 as a back-up for my Dragunov.If the shtf here in the UK I would head for the mountains of Mid Wales and get my head down.Better to conserve ammo and hit from a distance if need be rather than getting bogged down in firefights.It would be a different scenario here than the US as there are far fewer gun owners and probably something like 98% of the population don't have

access to firearms

• 4 weeks later...

If we're talking a SHTF survival situation, its the AR. Even though I LOVE my Saiga's/AK's I still voted AR-15 simply because of readily available ammo, parts and its modularity. There are simply far more spare parts and caliber choices for the AR.

If we're talking a 30 min fire fight, its still the AR. I'd use my 6.8 SPC II AR-15 with a superior bullet compared to any x39 ammo out there, a more accurate platform, lighter, better components...

This one :)post-46357-0-73379500-1367966023_thumb.jpg

So dubya how hard was that troy handguard to install? You use the normal barrel nut correct? I'm thinking about getting one for my midlength ar15 my plan is to trim down the front sight and cut the delta ring and spring off and then attach the tube handguard without removing the barrel does that sound possible?

I really love the AK, and would, in theory, prefer it, with select, to any other. But many GREAT points have been made here. That said, I will hold onto my AR at the fight and hedge my bets. Ammo availability is a big one here. That said, I know more than a few that have huge stockpiles of x39, even outside this forum.

Edited by Remek
  • 11 months later...

In the end guns will be plentyfull ammo will be the problem.

I choose my AR15 in 556 and take along my 22lr adaptor

Shotguns are cool but pound for pound the ammo is too heavy to carry

i could carry lots of 22lr and 556, and some day...every round could count

Jim

Ps  in a SHTF situation....hiding is the best way to survive

In contrast to the Ar-15,  Ak platform - is totally reliable . Personally, I shot a  Ak-74/Sayga .223 of more than 3000 and have not had any problems. Also, I constantly see how to train my friends with Ak . I never met a more elementary in service and a reliable weapon.
My experience with Ar-15 is not so great . According to many shooters , whom I respect, Ar- 15 has two advantages - the ergonomics and accuracy. But, in difficult conditions, has low reliability. Some shooters IPSC also say that Ar-15 wins on barrel resource.

Let's look at these points in detail .

post-46820-0-84717100-1397765644_thumb.jpg

Ergonomics .

In fact,  platform Ak the same universal as Ar. Currently, there are a myriad of tuning elements specifically for Ak . Short buttstock changed to telescopic Magpul . Narrow and uncomfortable on quad rail handguard . Pistol grip on anatomy . Side plank is a great sight for fastening under the " Weaver " or optics.
Kalashnikov really becomes very ergonomic Ar-15. Anyway for me.

post-46820-0-51320800-1397765492_thumb.jpg

Accuracy.

Actual accuracy:
Ak -101 = 2/2, 5 MOA. 
Ar-15 = 1/1, 5 MOA
Both weapons allow confidently hit the target at a distance 300 meters.
In combat (unlike IPSC) difference in 1MOA real advantage to the owner will not. There probably important reliability. And the law of Kalashnikov (1 ds = 1 shot ) here means much more .

Barrel resource.

In Russia, Ar- 15 exactly 3 times more expensive than Ak . This compares with a resource of their trunks .

Why Ak-101 -? I think this is the most successful combination of weapons / cartridge for what was done Ak - for war.

5.45 * 39 little used outside the USSR and it is worse than 5.56 in many ways.

7.62 * 39 good for hunting , but when working with the automatic gun still too powerful.

Therefore Ak -101 is my ideal .

post-46820-0-64916200-1397765630_thumb.jpg

Edited by vinni83

Im not in Russia, If I were ,I would have an AK

Plus I know the AR quite well as I manufacture them, (not assemble) but manufacture.

We shoot them at 12" plates at 600yds and out, No AK I have ever owned could reliably hit a target that size at that range.

Plus the ability to shoot 22lr, and my suppressor works with both as well.

The AK is a great gun..Its just not my first choice.

Jim

Plus I know the AR quite well as I manufacture them, (not assemble) but manufacture.

We shoot them at 12" plates at 600yds and out, No AK I have ever owned could reliably hit a target that size at that range.

Jim

What caliber AK? They were never designed for that type of range, and I would not rely on either the AR or AK to engage targets at that range. I choose my weapons for 300m and under, but 600yds is better suited to .308 and up.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim

What caliber AK? They were never designed for that type of range, and I would not rely on either the AR or AK to engage targets at that range. I choose my weapons for 300m and under, but 600yds is better suited to .308 and up.

not a 600 yard gun? Tell that to the navy.

2008-01-31_012545_MK2mod__zpsvm6yyrod.jp

I love my AKs, but if I could only take one of my guns it would have to be this one.

Ruger  SR762    600+  NO problem 000.gif

I have added optics and a bipod since I took this pic., it's a nail driver folks!

post-13516-0-11132300-1399122177_thumb.jpg

Edited by AA re-cvrd

Jim

It still doesnt change the fact that there are better options available for that range.

Jim

It still doesnt change the fact that there are better options available for that range.
Very true but something needs to be said about versatility. And an ar is very versatile. And if shit gets real everyone and their brother will have an ar so to me it makes the most sense to use what is available and parts mags and ammo will be more plentiful in the stoner flavor.
  • Like 1

Jim

Very true but something needs to be said about versatility. And an ar is very versatile. And if shit gets real everyone and their brother will have an ar so to me it makes the most sense to use what is available and parts mags and ammo will be more plentiful in the stoner flavor.

True. I wont argue with the versatility of the weapon. And yes, it can engage targets out to that range, but so can my '74 - with good glass. I just dont see myself using either to engage targets at that distance. I prefer a heavier round for that type of shooting. Since its a SHTF thread, Id prefer to have someone in my group with the capabilities to fill such a role. I try to capitalize on the strengths of the weapon designated as my "go to".

I cannot beleive this thread is still going after 5 years.

I couldnt even see a 12in plate at 600 yards. However, a freind of my has no problem pinging these things with his 74 at 600 and past. He's good. On the other hand if you gave him a handgun he couldnt hit the ground if he dropped the bullets.....go figure

Edited by Arik

I cannot beleive this thread is still going after 5 years.

I couldnt even see a 12in plate at 600 yards. However, a freind of my has no problem pinging these things with his 74 at 600 and past. He's good. On the other hand if you gave him a handgun he couldnt hit the ground if he dropped the bullets.....go figure

like hell you say! Everyone knows this isn't possible. Only ar are capable of shooting that far.
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...