Bambi's 12g slug to the head

I understand accidents happen but taking headshots on a deer is stupid, too easy to miss and break a jaw and then cause the deer to starve to death. My first deer was a less than ideal shot (far back gut shot) but I was able to track and kill it. I learned from that experience and was very embarrassed that I took a bad shot. I'm not sure who would take those pictures and post them on the internet like they are proud if it. I realize it was not the OP but these things piss me off.

I'm sorry but a head shot is not a smart shot, just too small, too easy to miss and just maim. The chest and neck is a much bigger target much more room for error.

If you are that good of a shot to consistently take a headshot on a deer then fine but most are not even close to being that good. Throughout the years I have found many deer skeletons in the spring with a fractured jaw or with the nose blown off. I found one a few weeks ago just 50 yards from my turkey hunting spot.

Edited by lipadj46
I'm sorry but a head shot is not a smart shot, just too small, too easy to miss and just maim. The chest and neck is a much bigger target much more room for error.

If you are that good of a shot to consistently take a headshot on a deer then fine but most are not even close to being that good. Throughout the years I have found many deer skeletons in the spring with a fractured jaw or with the nose blown off. I found one a few weeks ago just 50 yards from my turkey hunting spot.

If you're not good enough to hit a deer in the head within shotgun ranges (under 100 yards) you probably shouldn't be hunting at all until you can. IMHO

That's how you shoot when you're going for meat, and not trophies. It's clear that this deer didn't suffer.. at all.
I used to hunt with my uncles when I was a kid, they came from a large family where only the father worked so they were lets just say poor. My uncles hunted rabbitts with a .22 rifle and took head shots to make the most of the meat for the family. My cousins and I were told to jump up and down on brush piles to scare out the rabbitts while my uncles shot them on the run in the head. So head shots were common practice for us. The uncles that got drafted for Vietnam were all sharpshooters. I was just talking to one of my uncles about this very thing a few weeks back, I said " yeah you guys used to make us jump up and down on the brush piles to scare out the rabbitts while you were all aiming at the brush pile" and he said " yeah that's cause we could always make more of you kids". Imagine the reaction people would have now about a practice like that. Edited by theDuke