EAA Zastava 7.62x39- I Couldn't Resist!

Although I was going to purchase a Saiga (so flog me) to go along with my S12 & 308 I was watching a NIB Zastava on GB that was at $460 when someone punched the BIN at $550. A little while later I do a search and this one had just been listed. I HAD to jump at this price: :super:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130845534

post-18159-1244264126_thumb.jpg

Might take some extra searching to get it compliant for full caps though

Edited by VincentYGB

Way to go! Ive been waiting for that rifle to show up for years (not kidding: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...&hl=zastava ) and had given up hope that it was ever going to be imported until i spoke to the EAA rep at the NRA show and he said they would be coming in any day. I still only half beleived him, but if you have one in hand that settles it. I hope you are willing to post a full range report, or at least answer my questions.

As far as i know, you are the first person in the country to get one. (of course, i dont know much, and if the EAA rep wasnt lying, they have been availiable for a few days over a month.)

Although I was going to purchase a Saiga (so flog me) to go along with my S12 & 308 I was watching a NIB Zastava on GB that was at $460 when someone punched the BIN at $550. A little while later I do a search and this one had just been listed. I HAD to jump at this price: :super:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130845534

post-18159-1244264126_thumb.jpg

Might take some extra searching to get it compliant for high caps though

There's no such thing as "high caps".

I wish you folks would quit pandering to the antigunner's agenda.

As far as getting it 922r compliant, that is as easy as pie. Dozens of options exist for Kalashnikovs.

Decent point.

Full Capacity is the preferred term. anything less than full capacity (the number of rounds the gun was originally designed to take) is something that asinine and misdirected gun laws have taken away from you, and your rifle.

I also support the term Sport Utility Rifle in place of the brady's completely false AW. EBR just doesnt sound as friendly to me.

not that im all PC about it, you can call it whatever you want, as long as you realize what the terms were originally designed for, which was to justify taking your rights away from you.

It is a bit trickier to hit 922r if you want to keep the original furniture, which, personally, i would, for at least a while, as i like decent wood furniture, but a g2 trigger set, piston, and US magazine follower will get you there, or you can limit yourself to only US mags, and just the trigger set would put you over.

Decent point.

Full Capacity is the preferred term. anything less than full capacity (the number of rounds the gun was originally designed to take) is something that asinine and misdirected gun laws have taken away from you, and your rifle.

I also support the term Sport Utility Rifle in place of the brady's completely false AW. EBR just doesnt sound as friendly to me.

not that im all PC about it, you can call it whatever you want, as long as you realize what the terms were originally designed for, which was to justify taking your rights away from you.

It is a bit trickier to hit 922r if you want to keep the original furniture, which, personally, i would, for at least a while, as i like decent wood furniture, but a g2 trigger set, piston, and US magazine follower will get you there, or you can limit yourself to only US mags, and just the trigger set would put you over.

** THREAD HIJACK IN PROGRESS **

No, "full capacity" is not the preferred term, as it infers that there are "low capacity" mags somewhere.

Regular - no qualifiers- "magazine" or "milsurp magazine" are preferred.

No gun designer sits down and invents guns with "high cap mags" or "non sporting mags"

*** NOW RETURNED TO TOPIC IN PROGRESS ***

Nice gun, Vincent, can we get some closeups?

Look DIMPLES....

Had to go there...

I would leave the wood and just get a G2 and gas piston. Thats 4 parts.. from the 922r.

Very nice. Range report when you get...

He'll need five parts (he's got a "pistol grip").

Thanks for the other info Rev, but me using HCM and you pointing it out is just as PC. Or maybe that's FPPC.:haha: I'll cut you some slack since you live in the GodforsakenlandofPhoenix where it's 10 degrees hotter than down here in Tucson and maybe the summer heat has affected your thought processes.

By the way REV, my YGB after Vincent stands for Your Grace Bass. So kiss my ring.

I made the problematic parts comment as I absolutely want to keep the stock and use milsurp mags (lots of them) since IMHO a box full of full mags is preferable to a box full of ammo. I figured I'd need a FCG and gas piston but didn't know if I'd still be one part shy of 922.

Anyone know for certain?

I'll post a full report after it gets some time in the desert. And Rev, you're welcome to come down to Tucson (bring toys & ammo) and have a rip with it.

Edited by VincentYGB

Good catch, i was stuck in AWB world and skipped over it, I forgot that uncleBATFEckr "decided" it was 2 parts for 922r. (but of course a handguard is always one.)

I think this guys been scared off. and i really didnt want to hijack the thread, hopefully he doesnt mind too much, but id like to say of course there are low cap mags (or limited capacity magazines), as no one sits down to design an ak that only accepts 10 rounds, or a glock that does the same unless their hands were tied behind their back, or limited by importation or other laws. of course they are all magazines, and can be referred to as such, but if you need to differentiate based on capacity, and not another attribute such as origin, those are the logical terms.

Back to Topic.

I think he just bought the gun when he posted, we will probably have to wait for shipping and the transfer before he posts any pictures, though i hope he does.

Thanks for the other info Rev, but me using HCM and you pointing it out is just as PC. Or maybe that's FPPC.:haha: I'll cut you some slack since you live in the GodforsakenlandofPhoenix where it's 10 degrees hotter than down here in Tucson and maybe the summer heat has affected your thought processes.

By the way REV, my YGB after Vincent stands for Your Grace Bass. So kiss my ring.

I made the problematic parts comment as I absolutely want to keep the stock and use milsurp mags (lots of them) since IMHO a box full of full mags is preferable to a box full of ammo. I figured I'd need a FCG and gas piston but didn't know if I'd still be one part shy of 922.

Anyone know for certain?

I'll post a full report after it gets some time in the desert. And Rev, you're welcome to come down to Tucson (bring toys & ammo) and have a rip with it.

Look DIMPLES....

Had to go there...

I would leave the wood and just get a G2 and gas piston. Thats 4 parts.. from the 922r.

Very nice. Range report when you get...

Am I on ignore?

At one time, the butthole stocks were legal as "sporters". The law has changed since then, and the revenuers consider the butthole stock to have a pistol grip.

You'll need 5 US parts to be compliant.

if you want wood, you'll need to have someone fab you a gas tube cover and lower handguard for it, or <SHUDDER> buy US floorplates for your "box of mags"

Yeah, what he said. He pointed it out, i was just elaborating.

But hell yeah, its good to see more bitchin guns in AZ, even in the lesser cities ;) My old college roommate is in school down there, and ive been meaning to go shooting with him for a while, so you might just be on.

But Nalioth is correct, the stock is a pistol grip and a stock in the eyes of uncleBATFEckr, so you will have to change out five parts. Trigger group, piston, and something else. In case he IS on ignore, he suggests having a new wood handguard made, or make one yourself. Id probably opt for the value pack of us made mag followers, depending on how many mags you want/have, as it seems cheaper than paying someone to make a handguard, and i suck at woodwork. Theres no possesive intent with 922r as far as i know, so id just make the mags i want to take to the range compliant, and if zombies attack or the world otherwise ends, i think the ATF will have other concerns than you breaking into your backstock of yet to be converted magazines. I could be wrong, they are strange folk. I dont know why no one sells US made floorplates (seems like someone used to) but i did see a plan to make your own a while back. http://browningmgs.com/AK/CompParts/floorplates.htm

keep us posted

I have a friend who does some machining and one of my black belts does woodworking and everything else for swords & knives. I'd prefer to keep the wood intact if possible and I'm not fond of using non-metal mags if I don't have to. Since this is my first 7.62x39 AK I have no mag investment yet. I'm more familiar with the WMD below which doesn't run out of ammo or require a suppressor and in close quarters is very efficient.

post-18159-1244319426_thumb.jpg

Edited by VincentYGB
  • Like 1
I have a friend who does some machining and one of my black belts does woodworking and everything else for swords & knives. I'd prefer to keep the wood intact if possible and I'm not fond of using non-metal mags if I don't have to. Since this is my first 7.62x39 AK I have no mag investment yet. I'm more familiar with the WMD below which doesn't run out of ammo or require a suppressor and in close quarters is very efficient.

Never Bring a Sword to a Gun Fight... CQB, very efficient ... And I dont think the guy minded the noise...

Please look away now if you get disturbed... at shotgun.... efficiency meters

MODS SAID NO NO>>>>>

One should take any number of things to a gunfight and I'm an old time SB shotgunner myself.

Now you went and bloodied up my thread. Not the best form of advertising for your company.

Edited by VincentYGB
One should take any number of things to a gunfight and I'm an old time SB shotgunner myself.

Now you went and bloodied up my thread. Not the best form of advertising for your company.

I'm not even sure how that picture is relevant to this thread.

It has no place here (several similar pix have been removed from the "anything goes" thread.

It's not family friendly.

It's not friendly at all.

Even with your "don't scroll down" warning, how do you think people are gonna continue interacting with the thread?

How about you just link to it with suitable NSFW language?

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 1

I'm not even sure how that picture is relevant to this thread.

It has no place here (several similar pix have been removed from the "anything goes" thread.

It's not family friendly.

It's not friendly at all.

Even with your "don't scroll down" warning, how do you think people are gonna continue interacting with the thread?

How about you just link to it with suitable NSFW language?

Message sent to poster.

What blade are you using for your tameshi-giri in that pic?

Does anyone happen to know if those guns are imported so that they can only accept some kind of proprietary, or single stack, magazine? I am wondering what, if anything, would need to be done (aside from playing the 922r parts count game) to allow the use of standard AK magazines.

What blade are you using for your tameshi-giri in that pic?

That one is a martialartsswords.com sword. I like that one for mat but my Haidong Gumdo Federation sword is my go to for cutting the more difficult bamboo.

And mods- thanks for removing the objectionable photo. It has no relevancy anywhere on this site.

• 1 month later...

What's going to get you into trouble quicker than walking around Wal-Mart with a open carried gun?

Walking around Wal-Mart with a functional sword tied to your obi. Don't get me wrong, I love swords, they're lots of fun. I have a Cheness Tenchi katana, and I even practice with it. It's good exercise for the arms and back. I will even confess that I was inspired to buy it after reading the Zombie Survival Guide.

But...you're not really trying to convince us that katanas are a practical weapon in modern times, are you?

Congratulations on the Zastava. The wood furniture looks great, I'm jealous. :cryss:

I looked at one of these...

They are well made with great wood. Despite being a "thumbhole" -it handles fairy well.

The mag is a dedicated single stack -plastic...looks rather Saiga-ish. It appears the mag well can be opened up.

Interestingly (look at the pic) the rail appears to be a SVD spec one...not the "universal" AK type that is on most AK's.

The slant cut receiver is going to be a problem for many.

But...you're not really trying to convince us that katanas are a practical weapon in modern times, are you?

Of course not, katanas are Japanese and as such, are an inferior weapon designed to cut grass on mall ninjas lawns. :ph34r:

Mine is a Korean jingum. I can legally have that jingum with me in a host of countries (and I have) where a firearm will land someone in the local gulag.

One should be aptly prepared with any number of weapons and any good modern martial artist should have a firearm, or several. And a club, knife, incendiary devices....I'm vastly in favor of run-overs in an SUV because then it's only an "accident". And you really don't want to know what a tightly rolled up copy of Maxim can do your collar bone either. But I guess I shouldn't bring a copy of Maxim to a circle jerk.

I'm actually converting two of the PAP's. I told my kids their money wasn't safe in the bank (our credit union left town) so instead I invested their money in AK's. :P

Edited by VincentYGB
  • 4 months later...