I just got my Saiga 12 back from being converted. When I pushed the BHO lever up it receded into the receiver and I was unable to shoot the gun. I had to take it home and use some tools to get it back out. Is this a common problem? Am I better off getting rid of the BHO? The gun is in the shop now and they say they will see if they can wrap the spring (that keeps the BHO button from going into the receiver) tighter. Should this solve the problem?

I think I, (or anyone else), would have to examine the gun to see exactly what the problem is here. It sounds as though it's definitely spring-related, but it's unclear whether the problem is that the spring is improperly positioned, just plain too weak and worthless, or whether the converter failed to properly seat the appropriate leg of the BHO spring on the BHO. *shrug*

Any new BHO spring should have plenty of "spring" to get the job done without any kind of tightening.. at least every one I've ever seen is that way. Mine's aggressively springy.

I wouldn't skip the BHO mechanism altogether if I were you. Sure, you can notch your safety lever to act as a BHO, (you want a BHO in a S-12 more than any other AK-type firearm), but it's clumsier to use in that role than a functioning BHO device in the receiver is.

I assume that whoever you had restore your shotgun knows his shit and yours is not one of the first and only he's done?

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Usually when that happens, the BHO spring is not seated good on the BHO lever. It takes bending a crook on the end of the spring so it will stay on the lever and not slip off. It has happened to me and I have read of others having it happen to them and that is the universal fix.

Usually when that happens, the BHO spring is not seated good on the BHO lever. It takes bending a crook on the end of the spring so it will stay on the lever and not slip off. It has happened to me and I have read of others having it happen to them and that is the universal fix.

Yes and any Saiga, (especially the S-12), restorer/owner should keep in mind that the short arm of the BHO spring is the one that goes to the "right", seated on the BHO itself, (when viewing the action from left-to-right, left is the barrel, right is the stock).

Edited by post-apocalyptic