All metal shotgun shells???

Ok, I'm being lazy and have not researched this. I know that the answer lies within the vast knowledge of my Saiga board brothers and sisters, so: Other than cost, why is there not an all metal shotgun shell? It would certainly resolve the "deformation while in the magazine" problem (for those of us too busy or lazy to change out the shells every now and then).

It seems like having a few such shells around for home defense uses might be a good idea while undoubtedly they would be cost prohibitive for practice or phone book blasting.

Edited by WarriorJudge

I shot the all metal Russian shells and they are good. It's probably a lot less expensive to use plastic for the shell case than steel and that's why only the Russians make them. Years ago I saw shotgun shells made in Poland and they had paper over brass cases.

The Russian steel case came in handy to break in the AGP magazine, I hand cycled the fired case to smooth it out and wear it in and now it cycles flawlessly.

Thanks for the info. I also founds some on Gunbroker, but they are about three times more expensive than the ones at rrarms. I am interested in giving them a try, but they may be more of a novelty than any significant value to the type of shooting I do.

WJ

Only problem I see with Silver Bear is that they are only available, at least from what I can find, in 7-1/2 birdshot, not a good defense load.

Even 4B would be good, 00Buck even better. Alas, they don't seem to be loaded in either size.

The US used and manufactured brass shotgun shells before and during WWII. I still see them at Gunshows. MagTech, as recommended by KrisFox, is the modern solution.

I just bought three boxes from a vendor on Gunbroker. He only had 7 1/2 and 8, but I thought I'd give them a try.

If their main advantage is to avoid deformation in the magazine, if you had a 7 1/2 on top, followed by your regular home defense load (buck shot, home defense slugs, etc) do you think the shells under that first Silver Bear would be fine, or would they deform under the ridged metal shell? I would not think so, but I'm not sure. :unsure:

While that first blast with the 7 1/2 is certainly not ideal, if it did not do the job, all remaining shells in the mag. would be of a more optimal load and should be sufficient so long as you have time and justification to fire off more than one round.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge