Hey everyone, I'm new to the Saiga community and I'm looking for the best 10+ round magazine for my S-12. I've noticed that there seems to be alot of varying results depending on the manufacturer. Can someone please help me find a solid S-12 magazine.

P.S. Cost is also a very big factor, but I do understand that you usually get what you pay for.

Edited by MI Zombie Repellent

Russian Izhmash mags are generally regarded as the very best, but the 8-round variety are tough to find, (in the US anyway), and are expensive as hell as a result.

Both Surefire and AGP make some great 10+ round S-12 mags that sell for ~$40-$50 apiece. Surefire makes the highest capacity stick mags; their 12-rounders, (they will technically hold 13). They are obviously pretty long though.. they can almost double as a monopod. :D

My advice is to pick up a few of the Surefire 12-rounders, and several AGP 10-rounders.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

if price is a big deal you could just pick up a couple 3-packs of the Taiwan 5 rounders from CSS. they run like a champ and you get 6 for damn near the price of two 10-12 rounders. personally those 12 rounders are a bit huge, but thats just my opinion, you can always try em out an cut em into 10's too.

I doubt there's a mag out there that someone hasn't had a problem with at some time or another. So don't expect everyone to say one particular mag is best. As far as American mags go, the AGPs have been around the longest. That's not to say that even the latest generation hasn't had a bad one sneak through every once in a while.

I'm not sure where the thread is (I looked a bit), but Juggernaut and I were out shooting with a few others at "The Pit" in Lapeer, MI earlier this year (in 15 degree weather) when one of his brand new AGP mags broke off the front catch. I was shooting a Surefire mag and didn't have a problem. That doesn't mean AGPs are worse than Surefires though. While I haven't had magazine failures with any of my Surefires yet, I know there's others that have.

The good thing is that both AGP and Surefire replace problem mags no problem. I don't have any experience with the Promags, so I'll leave others to comment on that. The MD-20 drum has worked well for me too, though I admit, my newest one (got it last week) hasn't been tested yet, but I don't expect problems.

So, if you want 10 rounds or more, right now you're looking at AGPs, Surefires, Promags or a drum. Personally, I'd wait to see how well Promag stands behind their product before buying a bunch, but that's me. AGP and Surefire will treat you right. So will Mike at MD Arms, if you want an MD-20 drum.

Corbin

As long as an AGP mag is not one of those one that is too tight or loose in its body, like one that is out of spec, arent' they as good as the surefire mags?

I though the surefire were breaking under recoil when full of heavy shells. Did they address that somehow?

Are the metal AGP feed lips better???

As long as an AGP mag is not one of those one that is too tight or loose in its body, like one that is out of spec, arent' they as good as the surefire mags?

I though the surefire were breaking under recoil when full of heavy shells. Did they address that somehow?

There have been reports of both Surefire and AGP mags breaking under heavy recoil. Sounds like they were probably just bad moldings or curing. I like the AGP's but that is because they are what I own. They are made out of 2 halves screwed together so that ca be an issue, I locktite my screws in with purple gunsmith locktite.

That is up for debate. I would argue that not having metal feed lips is a plus. Shells seem to slip out of the surefire mags very easily due to the fact that there is no metal feed lip digging into the brass rim. I am sure that others would disagree.

That is up for debate. I would argue that not having metal feed lips is a plus. Shells seem to slip out of the surefire mags very easily due to the fact that there is no metal feed lip digging into the brass rim. I am sure that others would disagree.

I honestly don't mind plastic feed lips, pmags are my favorite AR mags. I don't think you can go wrong with either AGP or surefire. I think Dinzag is selling AGPs for $45 click the clearance link.

Well,

I odered a clear Surefire 12 rounder. I'll compare it to all my AGPs as I continue to break in my S12s & I'll report back.

I really like the ideah of clear mags. Course, I'll probably tape them up a little so you can only see the cartridge stack from the back. Its no good to let the bad guy know how much ammo you have I guess.

The Surefire 12s seemed a bit heavy and too bulky for my tastes so I used the info here to cut mine down to 8 rounds. It made a world of difference and much lighter. It would seem there is now less force on the mags. There has been some rumblings about other mags for the S12 in the works. Should be interesting to see. Until then, I will keep buying AGPs and SFs.

I have a factory five rounder, three Taiwanese five rounders, an AGP and Pro Mag Ten rounders and all work well. Every aftermarket magazine needed some fitting to the S-12. The AGP needed to be broken in by hand cycling a fired Russian steel case to smooth out the tight spots. Now all the magazines work reliably. I haven't purchased any Surefire 12 rounders which are monopods. I wouldn't mind an eight rounder if someone made it so it won't double as a monopod.

If you have a Russian full length fired steel case this is the best way to break in a magazine which may have sticking points to smooth it out. The magazine opening is big enough for most people to push their fingers in to hand cycle the magazine with the fired case.

Edited by uzitiger

I've heard of folks hand cycling rounds in most of the aftermarket mags. I've done it with my one MD-20 drum, although I didn't have any issues with it beforehand. I haven't done it with my Surefires, but just shooting them a lot does the same thing I suppose. LOL.

If I were going to modify a clear mag to a windowed one, I'd probably use something like spray on truck bed liner with an area masked off where I wanted to keep it clear. Sounds like a fun project........hmmmmm....... :rolleyes:

+1 for shortening the Surefire to 8 rounds. That's what I did on most of mine. I bought one that was already an 8 rounder, but the others were modded. They take 9 rounds where the new ones only take 8.

Corbin

The best 10rnd + magazine for the S12 is the MD Arms 20rnd drum.

Now that that is cleared up and beyond any further discussion... We can discuss the various lowly stick mags. :rolleyes:

I can only comment on Surefire mags, as my experience has only been with Surefire's mags, and that experience has been 100% positive.

I have their mags in 2, 10 & 12 rounds, each one has fit & functioned right out of the box.

I may try some AGP mags, if I decide I need more mags.

If money was no object and they were available, I would buy factory 8 rounders.

They are highly sought after, and have a awesome rep.

I decided to try out a 10 round surefire as the first mag. No, reason why I chose surefire over the others, just added to my order that I was already placing with CSS. I can't wait to put some rounds through it!!

I had some 12rd surefire mags that I cut down to 8rds. Perfect reliability. I bought one of Gregg's transparent 12rd surefires and cut it down to 8rd size. It two worked perfectly with 3in mag loads and 2 3/4in low brass. I also traded some Promags (which did not work for some Gen II 10rd AGP mags). Those mags worked perfectly as well. Both 2 3/4in low brass and 3in mags.

I got the clear Surefire mag today. It looks nice. It seems like...the floor plate in the surefire has a little more clearance that the followers in the AGPs... It makes me think that surefire method of production may be a little less subject to errancy than the AGP method...

It is almost as if the surefire mag was extruded. I dunno. I have tested out 4 AGPs so far and they all worked. I got four more to check & now the surefire & the Drum.