Is gas tube cover worth it?

Saw THIS,

Wonder if it is worth it. From the looks of it, it does't really produce much of a gap towards the back of the tube.

It is nice not to have to worry about melting your sling or burning yourself. How hot do those tubes get? Obviously, it depends on how much you shoot. I am wondering if anyone has wished they had the cover?

I bought one from Cobra 76 to go with my Fuglystick. My Fuglystick has holes that match the gas tube vent, and they look BADA$$. Plus it has the added convenience of keeping you from touching hot surfaces. I'm not one for adding a bunch of rails and tacticool stuff to my guns, but this was nice looking, the price was right, it DOES serve a purpose, and enhances the overall look of the gun that I was after. I've wasted a LOT of money in my life and have nothing to show for it, lol, so it's nice to be able to spend so little and get such a cool item for once.

I will go out and pound through a hundred rounds or more in a sitting, and yes the gas tube and barrel get hot enough to burn you.

If i wasn't so fond of mag dumps this wouldn't be a issue i'm sure but as it stands it was worth my money.

Cobras vented gas tube cover was part of my first testing session. You can see the results from that Here

I just don't like the look of the S12's exposed gas tube. It's like an AK without the upper HG. I don't find the cover to be incredibly functional, its mostly window dressing.

If you like that sort of thing go for it. If not, don't. It's not like it costs alot of money or is permanantly attached. :unsure:

I liked the way it looked, plain and simple. There's a lot of stuff that you can put on a gun that serves no purpose whatsoever (ie simply cosmetic stuff) that costs a lot more and can actually hinder the way the gun handles. The gas tube cover looks good and doesn't affect the operation of the gun in any sort of negative manner.

I serves no purpose and looks really cool.I would buy one if I wasn't already sticking an Ultimak on mine

I had the exact same thought.

The cover is more of a "finishing touch" rather than a functional item, kind of like a nice duracoat or parkerized finish, you don't NEED them, but they will make your firearm stand out. Plus the covers are American made by a small business man, so you're helping our community out with your purchase.

Ok sopmod and nalioth....I have a challenge for you. Go out with your S-12s....oops that's right...

...nalioth doesn't even have an S-12... :rolleyes: so of course he wouldn't know much about S-12 accessories.

Anyway...I dare either one or both of you to borrow or rent a stock S-12 with no gas tube cover...then run through a couple or more HI CAP MAGS...yes nalioth, that's just for you.... :rolleyes: ...then lay your naked forearm across the gas tube, or even better, touch it to your face. I'll bet you each a free Cobra SVUH that I can do the same and I won't be the one sporting a big rosy blister afterwards.

I like to be able to hold my S-12 with one hand on the HG and my thumb wrapped over the top of the weapon. This small and very inexpensive addition allows me to do that no matter if I have just done a rapidfire dump with my MD 20.

The fact that it looks cool and finishes off the weapon nicely is only a bonus.

:smoke:

plain and simple, the gas tube on the S12 WILL get pretty damn hot if you are an abusive shooter, like a lot of us are, around here.....nothing like rifles, but still that gas is still heating up the gab block, and thus the attached tube, even though gas isnt even going DOWN the tube itself....

plain and simple, the gas tube on the S12 WILL get pretty damn hot if you are an abusive shooter, like a lot of us are, around here.....nothing like rifles, but still that gas is still heating up the gab block, and thus the attached tube, even though gas isnt even going DOWN the tube itself....

How is the gas not going down the tube? It's moving the puck down the tube, therefore it must be going down the tube behind the puck, right? I may be missing something really basic here.

Ok sopmod and nalioth....I have a challenge for you. Go out with your S-12s....oops that's right...

...nalioth doesn't even have an S-12... :rolleyes: so of course he wouldn't know much about S-12 accessories.

Anyway...I dare either one or both of you to borrow or rent a stock S-12 with no gas tube cover...then run through a couple or more HI CAP MAGS...yes nalioth, that's just for you.... :rolleyes: ...then lay your naked forearm across the gas tube, or even better, touch it to your face. I'll bet you each a free Cobra SVUH that I can do the same and I won't be the one sporting a big rosy blister afterwards.

I like to be able to hold my S-12 with one hand on the HG and my thumb wrapped over the top of the weapon. This small and very inexpensive addition allows me to do that no matter if I have just done a rapidfire dump with my MD 20.

The fact that it looks cool and finishes off the weapon nicely is only a bonus.

:smoke:

I've had an S12 for 8 years and shot over 4,000rds and never burned myself but your thingy still looks really cool nonetheless :D

elvis -

remove the handguard from your gun, and look at the side of the gas block. that is where the puck passes by, and the gas that normally goes down the AK gas tube, instead vents out the side of the gas block, as a "blow by" vent.

SOPMOD - I hear ya, I wouldnt say ive gotten the block and tube hot enough to burn me, but I have had the barrel hot enough to sizzle in the rain on my 12 gauge, and the gas system was a bit "warm".

Well,

I went to carolina shooters b/c some poster linked a reduced recoil spring for shooting poweder puffs. I decided I had to have one. THen I saw the gas tube cover. Then I saw that clear 12 rd surefire mag & I could resist. Then I saw that polymer tri rail unit that extends forward past the gas block & I decided that, w/ maybe some rail covers and/or a VFG will solve the issue of my off thum wandering close to the gas tube. Maybe I shoudl have orderd one, but its too late now b/c order is on the way.