Prefered SBS Length  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Optimal SBS Length

• 8"
    • 10"
    • 12"

Planing my first S12 sbs, and would love the input from those who own them

First, who can I contact to do a conversion to a SBS, The gun is already through the "standard refurbishment" so I need someone to do the performance mods, chop the barrel, move the gas system, and refinish.

So who all can do SBS work

Tromix - awesom products but not taking on work till 2011, sorry to long of a wait.

Red Stick/Red Jacket - are they taking on work?

E-Tac - are they taking on work?

Who am I missing? I plan to send an email to all the shops I can find and compare prices and wait times.

Second, What merits do each of the lengths offer 8" 10" 12" I kinda like the look of the 10"s and it seems like that might offer me a gun that can shoot cheap bird shot and 00Buck more reliably and with a slight edge in shot pattern over the 8" but the 8"s are really nice and compact, and the 12" would only have the slightly more tight shot pattern.

I guess what I need to know is what length and why? argue your point and convince me.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Space_Weazel

In case you haven't seen this.....it's good info to know if you're going the SBS route.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=38318

I chose 12" because I just think that's as short as it can go and still look proportionate. Still plenty of everything and you have room to put a FSB and a brake or FH if you want (and still see some barrel) ....unless you are going with a Tromix with HK sights...

Isn't Tony's own personal S-12 a 12"? ..... Or is it 10"? :unsure:

Damn dude, how many threads do you need to make a decision? :lol:

Yea, I am a fickle B#*%H, nah I just am going to spend a lot of money and want to make sure I will be happy with the end product, there seem to be a lot of 8"s out there and I was wondering if there was a reason why. there don't seem to be many 10-12" at least that i have seen.

In case you haven't seen this.....it's good info to know if you're going the SBS route.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=38318

I chose 12" because I just think that's as short as it can go and still look proportionate. Still plenty of everything and you have room to put a FSB and a brake or FH if you want (and still see some barrel) ....unless you are going with a Tromix with HK sights...

Isn't Tony's own personal S-12 a 12"? ..... Or is it 10"? :unsure:

I have read that thread thanks for posting it though, I do love me a good post.

JeauxE, could you provide me with information on how you attached the vertical grip. If you know the manufacture, part number etc. of the short rail (I'm assuming) to attach the grip, and the grip manufacture. I want to add same to my 12 I like the clean simple look. Thank You.

Edited by wayneb

My personel gun is also a 12 inch. This gives the best overall performance for my applications, and I can still run pie plates at 100 yds with slugs.......... Before you make a decision on length, you really need to think about the job you're gonna ask the shorty to do.....VK

post-2142-1244551576_thumb.jpg

All Tromix conversions are works of art and I certainly wouldn't mind having one of each length for my personal collection but if I had to choose one I'd have to go with the 8" Tromix S-17.

There's a reason it's the flagship Tromix firearm. The WOW factor of the S-17 is just incredible.

Zach

Kross FA

I went with 8" because mine is primarily an entry weapon.

Not necessarily a concern for most of you guys.

If I ever get another it will be a 12".

I agree with this guy. My SHTF gun is a Tromix S-17. My fun gun (currently in the conversion stage) is a 12"er.

My personel gun is also a 12 inch. This gives the best overall performance for my applications, and I can still run pie plates at 100 yds with slugs.......... Before you make a decision on length, you really need to think about the job you're gonna ask the shorty to do.....VK

Ok. I would like it to still shoot cheap bird shot, and basically be a whole crap ton of fun, probably shooting at stuff within 15-25 yards and I hope to take it out for some ridiculous trap shooting, i.e. "pull" "bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, damn I got close". The 8's seem like they would have a lot of blast and the 12's seem like they are getting a little on the long side, but I don't really know since I have yet to handle any of them, I wish I could shoot one of each and decide from there.....

JeauxE, could you provide me with information on how you attached the vertical grip. If you know the manufacture, part number etc. of the short rail (I'm assuming) to attach the grip, and the grip manufacture. I want to add same to my 12 I like the clean simple look. Thank You.

The short rail is from TROMIX........, as is the vertical grip....CSS, MAA, and/or Atlantic may carry them (?).....

I wanted to keep the factory handguard, and Tony did the rest as regards the vertical grip...........

Overall, it's a custom TROMIX gun, butt to muzzle............. :smoke:

The 8" seems impressive for large fire balls, a lot of kick and a loud boom. The 10" would probably have that too, but perhaps not as bad. Any SBS will be lighter and therefore kick more than a heavier non-SBS. That's just physics. I'm by no means an expert on SBSs or the Saiga platform in general. To my way of thinking though, the more barrel you have, the longer the gas stays in the barrel, the longer "dwell" time, the easier it will be for the shotgun to cycle different loads.

I don't have a Saiga SBS yet, as MI doesn't allow SBSs at this point. <_< So I can't say how they'll handle lighter loads. If I wanted to still shoot lighter bulk ammo though, I would go with a 12" barrel I think. Maybe move the gas block back a couple inches if need be. Others can comment on whether or not that's needed, as I'm not sure.

For my use, which would mainly be HD with the ability to still reach out a little for target practice/competition, I think a 12" would fit the bill. There's probably a reason the owners of Tromix and CGW have them as their personal guns.

Just my thoughts.

Corbin

That's cool to know. I wasn't sure if the really short ones could only cycle buckshot and slugs or if they could do stuff like bulk Federal birdshot as well. I don't know if Tony has video showing it or not, but having a SBS that can cycle several different loads would be a great promotional thing.

My Tromix 8" will eat anything I feed it with the factory gas plug.

Tony has it perfected.

Pumpkin-sized with a bare muzzle. The pumpkin comes more toward you with the Shark Brake.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how well the Tromix Flash hider works; I was shooting it at night at the ranch and it didn't blind me at all.

I'll have to take some pics of the flash.

DSCF0003.jpg

It's cool to know the Tromix flash hider works well. Besides a Class III suppressor, I can't imagine you're going to eliminate the flash on a SBS totally. Maybe even then, you'll get some flash, I'm not sure. Probably depends on the rounds.

Of course, the flash can be part of the SBS attraction for some. I just wouldn't want to burn the hair on my front hand when firing it. I know you can wear gloves, but still. LOL

Corbin

Question for you 8" guys, Hows the muzzle blast?

I forget the members screen name, which is why I blocked out his face, but I liked the pic soo much I saved it. Here is your pumpkin sized muzzle blast from a S17!! :devil::killer::super:

flame.JPG

Edited by MCASgt New River