Prefered SBS Length  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Optimal SBS Length

• 8"
    • 10"
    • 12"

Sorry I guess I was asking more if it was uncomfortable and/or burned the hair on your hands?

But thanks for the sweet pics.

The Shark Brake "can" put some heat on your forward hand on an 8" gun, but most guys shoot without gloves.

Wow, the poll is really close.

As a person that hasn't fired a SBS Saiga yet, I can't really give an informed opinion on which length kicks more or less, cycles more reliably or whatever. They'd all hit just as hard I think, assuming all the pellets hit the target. A longer barrel would keep a SLIGHTLY tighter pattern I would guess, although a choke can make up for that on a shorty. You might lose a little velocity on a shorter barrel, but probably not enough to matter. A longer range knock down target would perhaps call for a tighter pattern.

I don't know how much lighter 2 or 4" of barrel makes a gun. However, I understand that two guns shooting the exact same round, the lighter gun will kick more. I shot a 16 lb 50 BMG rifle once. Never again. :cryss: I'll stick to the heavier ones thank you.

If all lengths can reliably cycle whatever you feed it and recoil between them isn't much different, I suspect it would all come down to personal preference. For me, it would probably be a 12" barrel. Maybe a 10".

Corbin

Sorry I guess I was asking more if it was uncomfortable and/or burned the hair on your hands?

But thanks for the sweet pics.

no problems with burnt hair

I've never had a "problem" with it, but I have had it!!! :lol: From my 8" . . . Magnum buckshot or slugs should make short work of any hair on yer knuckles!

As far as optimal length, what will it's primary function/requirements be? If maneuverability is the key, well obviously the 8" would be ideal. On the other hand, if that is not as much of a concern, then I would go with the 12" to keep the blast away from my face. I guarantee shooting an 8" 12 gauge is definitely more of an "experience" than a 12".

The more I look at them and handle my gun I am thinking that I'll just keep my 19" and go get another and have it hacked down to 8" the AK system is already kinda long and if I am going to pay for the privilege of the SBS I guess I might as well go for the gold. you know what I mean?

The more I look at them and handle my gun I am thinking that I'll just keep my 19" and go get another and have it hacked down to 8" the AK system is already kinda long and if I am going to pay for the privilege of the SBS I guess I might as well go for the gold. you know what I mean?

Wise decision Grasshopper!

• 3 months later...

My personal gun's a 8 in . I normally run it with either the thread protector or a full choke . You asked about turnaround's , on NFA , we'll beat the ATF , about 8 week's on new send in's . btw , my 8 in. gun with a full choke does just fine knocking tree rat's out the top of the oak's w/ 7 1/2 heavy field load's .