I have so many guns I want and have been back and forth trying to decide which to buy next. I am pretty sure tomorrow I will purchase the Marlin 1895g "guide gun" in 45-70 Gov. I think watching 3:10 to Yuma the other day made me lean towards the lever action. My friend at work bought one a few months ago and brought in one of the cartridges....It look like it took batteries and could easily please most women. Should make for a fun range day with the Saiga 12 and then that bastard! Should leave a nice mark. Thankfully for my shoulder it's not cheap to shoot like the 12 gauge. Just deciding on whether I get it blued or order the stainless. :killer:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the blued one ,and put the XS sights on it with the XS scout rail. That thing is awesome! I want to shoot some pigs with it. I like the Hornady lever evolution rounds through it,although I have 440 rounds of American lead rounds that I got for 12.95 a box. With ammo prices I dont want to shoot them. :lol:

post-1936-1247426860_thumb.jpg

post-1936-1247426873.jpg

I would have bought this one,but it wasn't out yet. The mag tube goes out all the way on this one.

post-1936-1247427004_thumb.jpg

Edited by gunboy69

I got the blued one. I looked at stainless but kind of like the idea of the gun aging and looking worn years from now. It's a beast!! I shot the Hornady Lever Evolution rounds and they're on point. Didn't care for the stock sights and will probably change over to the XS sights soon. I think you can buy the longer magazine tube but you might get 1 maybe 2 extra shots. Heard it maybe be more problematic than it's worth? If I knew where to get it done at a reasonable price I'd love to have it Case colored. Nice little kick on that mule too!

Edited by obake

Guide Gun="Big Medicine"

I wanted the 450 Marlin version but was waiting for the ammo to become more available and plentiful before buying...still waiting

Maybe it's time to buy some 45-70 dies and just roll my own "Hog Stompers" and let 450 Marlin whimper into obscurity

Guide Gun="Big Medicine"

I wanted the 450 Marlin version but was waiting for the ammo to become more available and plentiful before buying...still waiting

Maybe it's time to buy some 45-70 dies and just roll my own "Hog Stompers" and let 450 Marlin whimper into obscurity

thesze guide guns are very nice i have looked at them many of times

Congrats obake! It is a beast! Thats the first thing I thought when I took it out of the box.....man this thing is beefy!

Its got a really thick forearm. I use a pistol scope on the scout rail,but mostly just shoot it with irons.

It does kick pretty good, but my Thompson Pro hunter with the 20'' Katadin barrel in 45-70 is even worse if you can imagine. That flex tech stock doesnt seem to do much for that sucker.