Fell Out of Compliance

post-18034-1244651528.jpg

With the addition of Eastern-block surplus AK mags, my rifle is now out of compliance. With the ProMags, I was IN compliance. Now, I'll have to add another part. My choices are between replacing the forearm, or the gas piston. I actually like the Saiga forearm. I think it's modern looking, and provides a more snag-free front end. I guess I'll go with a new piston. Any suggestions?

Edited by TedG954
With the addition of Eastern-block surplus AK mags, my rifle is now out of compliance. With the ProMags, I was IN compliance. Now, I'll have to add another part. My choices are between replacing the forearm, or the gas piston. I actually like the Saiga forearm. I think it's modern looking, and provides a more snag-free front end. I guess I'll go with a new piston. Any suggestions?

I really like the SGM Tactical forearm's. They relatively inexpensive (compared to metal one's anyway), look good, are light weight and lock up tight. I just ordered another one for my .308 about an hour ago. :super:

The piston is the cheapest solution.Be sure to choose chromoly and not stainless for real longevity and if you can find a high polished chrome plated piston then it will be so much easier to clean as well.

Edited by SOPMOD
I really like the SGM Tactical forearm's. They relatively inexpensive (compared to metal one's anyway), look good, are light weight and lock up tight. I just ordered another one for my .308 about an hour ago. :super:

+1 on the SGM Tactical forearm (AKA the Surefire Tri-rail). Swapping forearms is as easy as falling off a log. You do lose the sling swivel attachment point, though.

I too like the factory forearm but, with no rails, there's no place to hang goodies.

Bob

The piston is the cheapest solution.Be sure to choose chromoly and not stainless for real longevity and if you can find a high polished chrome plated piston then it will be so much easier to clean as well.

Please provide a URL for such wonderful object that is made in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...
If I take the front hanguard and modify it myself, would it now be consiidered "made in America"? Base part was made in Europe, I just finished it.

No.

The revenuers have decreed that the "function" must change type to be considered "US made".

IOW, you can make US made pistol grips out of a Romanian butt stock.

Tapco has pistons, http://www.tapco.com/catalog.aspx?id=312 for 14.99 and they also have several forearms.

QUESTION: That Intrafuse T6 stock on that page, listed for $69.99, would it qualify for replacement of 1 part? IOW, if I get the T6 collapsible stock, and use it along with my 3 part SureFire 30 rd magazine would that be in compliance? It looks like this one does not require any modifications of the fire control group, just bolt it on.

Advantages in having the pistol grip and trigger moved a bit more forward, near the magazine latch?

Do they make a simply drop in style FCG that you just modify the receiver to fit?

Just curious, but isn't that a K-Var butt stock?

If it is, and you used a US FCG to do the conversion, wouldn't you already be compliant (14 - 1 {stock} - 3 {FCG} = 10 {compliant})?

Edited by cma g21

If it is, and you used a US FCG to do the conversion, wouldn't you already be compliant (14 - 1 {stock} - 3 {FCG} = 10 {compliant})?

No, because a 15th countable part was added - the pistol grip.

5 US parts are needed on that rifle. The US made pistol grip is one of them.

So, if the pistol grip is US made, wouldn't it just be 15 - 1 {stock} - 3 {FCG} -1 {pistol grip} = 10 {compliant}?

Edited by cma g21

So, if the pistol grip is US made, wouldn't it just be 15 - 1 {stock} - 3 {FCG} -1 {pistol grip} = 10 {compliant}?

Your math skills are adequate for this task :smoke:

But...... isn't the pistol grip considered an "add on" part and creates a negative aginst the compliance, regardless of whether it is made in US or not?

No, it's a 'negative' (in regards to 922r parts count) only if it's foreign. 922r limits the number of listed foreign parts (10 or fewer). If you add a U.S. made pistol grip, it has no effect on the number of foreign parts. However, adding a foreign pistol grip (a listed part) would increase the number of listed foreign parts by one.

Edited by cma g21
  • 2 months later...
But...... isn't the pistol grip considered an "add on" part and creates a negative aginst the compliance, regardless of whether it is made in US or not?

No, it's a 'negative' (in regards to 922r parts count) only if it's foreign. 922r limits the number of listed foreign parts (10 or fewer). If you add a U.S. made pistol grip, it has no effect on the number of foreign parts. However, adding a foreign pistol grip (a listed part) would increase the number of listed foreign parts by one.

i get confused when people start referring to how many US parts they need on this rifle or that. i was lead to believe its not about having to few US parts, its about having too many many foreign parts, and as long as the foreign parts count is 10 or fewer youre ok. would this be correct?

i get confused when people start referring to how many US parts they need on this rifle or that. i was lead to believe its not about having to few US parts, its about having too many many foreign parts, and as long as the foreign parts count is 10 or fewer youre ok. would this be correct?

You are correct.

However, you'll always have "glass half full" and "glass half empty" folks.

I never think of how many parts I need, especially when talking about Saiga shotguns, since the older ones have a welded on brake. I think, "Strip rifle down to 10-or-fewer foreign parts, then rebuild the firearm using US made parts." I find a lot of confusion comes from this, many people post "How many parts do I need to add?"... well, if you're starting with a firearm with 15 Russian parts, you'll need to first subtract at least 5 then add 5 :D

My glass doesn't need to be half full or half empty, as long as there is 10 or fewer Russian parts in it :)