Unified rail mounting options

I did some searching on this, but not a single result was returned for the phrase "unified rail".

What options exist for mounting accessories to the unified rail on the left side of the receiver? I guess the typical use is for mounting a scope up there, and I have seen some photos of receivers with an adapter which probably adds a weaver up top or something like that. I mainly just fire it at the range for fun, so the regular sights (or maybe some slightly upgraded sights) are perfecly fine for me, so I doubt I'd bother with a scope. Mounting a laser to that rail would be infinitely more useful to me, but I don't know if that's possible.

Who makes attachments/adapters for that unified rail? Or do any manufacturers make any products that mount directly to it?

Thanks in avance.

It's designed for combloc optics and is very effective as a mounting solution for the scopes that the Russian miltary uses on it. When western manufacturer's get involved it's to make a side rail mount that has a picatinny or weaver rail which lets you mount compatible western optics or devices.

Basically it's a pure combloc designed rail and no one over here makes anything specific for it other than the side mount weaver/pic setup.

Z

Not true. I found this wandering around on the Saiga sites yesterday... it appears to attach to the left side Saiga mount but gives you a left and top picatinny rail system for whatever you want. They offer a screw in one and a lever attach. I have a Kobra red dot, but the thought occurs to me... that it'd be cool to have a normal magnifying scope on top and a laser or something else on the left side. It'd be fast and easy to attach/detach. Anyways, at the very least it gives you an option to do something besides the Kobra red dots, and for a helluva lot cheaper.

I'm going to order one when I get my next paycheck.

Side Mount for Saiga Here...

Good stuff. I rather like that, with the quick release.

Anything I should know about lasers with shotguns? Is there a particular kind that's more suited to the recoil, or is any old laser good enough? My only criteria are the pressure switch and windage/elevation adjust, and there seem to be plenty of options to pick from. I just don't want to find out later on that I should have gotten X vs Y because it wasn't as rugged or something like that.

Any different between red and green, or is that a matter of preference?

Kalinka Optics right here...

Kalinka has a lot of good stuff. The side rail with upper rail is available from them as well. I agree that the one I posted is pretty ugly. I have a Kobra red dot and the thing is essentially indestructible... very solid. I've wondered about the picatinny one because if the metal isn't all that solid, it seems it'd bend. Under normal fire, recoil would make the entire thing bounce around. The side rail from Kalinka notes it's made of a selenium alloy for stability and zero retention.

Edited by EricinMaryland

As for the lasers... it's hard to describe how much brighter and intense a green laser is over a red one. In daytime, a red laser dot is barely visible, but green is easy enough to see. Any shadowing makes both much more visible.

In the "for what it's worth" category, my Saiga is having a hard time holding onto accessories with recoil. I've tried barrel mounting clamps and currently am playing with a foregrip adapter from Command Arms to see if it can hold a light or laser. CAA Foregrip Light Adapter here. CAA also has a bunch of different red and green lasers.

I feel like I've got the screws in about as tight as they'll get without stripping out. First 3 shots and the light popped out. Wrapped the light with rubber tape and it seems more secure now, but after 20 rounds I noticed it was noticably loose. What I've learned from this is that the Saiga recoil can mess up accessories. If you search the forum, you'll find a lot of links about lights and lasers that IMO, boil down to: 1) avoid AA battery accessores, and 2) having the batteries in line with recoil works best.

My wife's Mossberg 500 barrel clamp holds her light securely no matter what she's shooting. For her, the same barrel clamp that wouldn't hold a light on the Saiga, holds the Moss500 very securely. Finally, you can see the different accessories on my Saiga in the picture post, but I'm finding that the damn gun is getting unweildly heavy. Lasers and lights are cool... but you don't need them at a range or for competition shooting.

I was at a gun show today and they had the easy mount side rail. Guy sold it to me for $35 so I picked it up. It slides onto the Saiga rail just fine, but will feel a bit loose if you don't tighten the screw assembly in tight. Once mounted and clipped, if you tighten the screw and loctite it, it seems you'd never have to do that again. Otherwise, the entire thing is wobbly. Next time I go to the range, I'll stick a scope, laser, and light on this and see how they hold up. My impression right now, given that I can make this bend with my hands, is that recoil will make it vibrate for a bit after each shot and it'll eventually shake loose. Given how closely it hugs the side and top of the Saiga, I'm also going to speculate that it'll scratch up the gun finish. If you can afford the specific functions of a dedicated red dot or scope, I'd suggest going with the Russian stuff. Kalinka has a selenium alloy with only the top rail for about the same retail price as this EZ attach accessory.

Here are some pics... of it on my Saiga with the Kobra red dot as a comparison:

post-18067-1244920076_thumb.jpg

post-18067-1244920185_thumb.jpg