A couple years ago, after the Virginia Tech shooting, I was working at a large, very liberal, internet company in Virginia. During that time I was having a discussion about it with a coworker, who said, "We should just outlaw all firearms altogether." The conversation went down the path of more bad laws, criminals with guns, rights and who's going to pay for it. In the end, I didn't make very much progress. He later moved to the most liberal place in the country, San Francisco, California to work for some other companies there.

Last week, it had been about a year and a half since I'd seen him, he was in town and I asked if he wanted to goto the range with me. Surprisingly, he said that he'd like to give it a try, we went down to the NRA range and spent an hour shooting pistols, a Ruger Mk2 , a 357 revolver, and an IWI 40. After we were done, he says, "You know what, I had a really good time! I like sports which involve targets and aiming, like archery." I said, "Well, targets and aiming are pretty much the gist of shooting."

I've found most people with a liberal slant like to consider themselves really open minded. Generally when I'm talking to anti-2nd Amendment folks, I just say, "You're pretty open minded right?" The answer is undoubtedly, "Of course!" Then I say, "Okay, come to the range with me and try it out. I've taught many people how to shoot and most of them did really well."

In the end, everyone who I've taken to the range has had a good time, especially the "evil" liberals! Hopefully, now when they are in a conversation with their peers about banning guns, they'll have some positive feedback about their experience with firearms.

This is absolutely true. Everyone I've introduced to shooting has enjoyed it. It's totally apolitical; it's just a good time. Unless you have actually done it, you have no real perspective on the issue. I was raised around guns, so it was never an issue with me, but I can see how someone who has never been around guns, knows nothing of gun safety, and only knows what they've seen in movies, TV, etc. could be intimidated and unnerved by them. Even if the person you take shooting doesn't change his or her stance on the topic of gun control, that seed has been planted, and in many cases it will blossom.

Thanks so much for starting the topic vbrtrmn.

We should all do like missionary work as you have been.

I go to gun shows and it just saddens me that the majority of folks are OLDER white men... (I mean this in the most UN-insulting manner.) If this sport...cancel that...if our RIGHTS are to survive, we need to recruit and diversify less our rights go die down with it's main members.

Thank you for the example vbrtrmn. We should all do likewise.

Thanks so much for starting the topic vbrtrmn.

We should all do like missionary work as you have been.

I go to gun shows and it just saddens me that the majority of folks are OLDER white men... (I mean this in the most UN-insulting manner.) If this sport...cancel that...if our RIGHTS are to survive, we need to recruit and diversify less our rights go die down with it's main members.

Thank you for the example vbrtrmn. We should all do likewise.

I spend too much time frequenting my local gun stores, and I see all types of folks in perusing/buying the wares.

Granted, us conservative/right, religious & white males, aged 30+, types are the majority, and we are the ones who frequent the gun shows.

Make no mistake, there is a huge cross section of society that exercises their 2nd Amendment Rights.

What is most unfortunate is that they do not join the NRA, they do not call/write their State Representatives and they are not avid target shooters/hunters.

They are the silent masses, many of which are cowed into their silence by fear of their police state/government & political correctness, yet they have the common sense to know they are better off armed.

They are also the ones who fail to teach themselves and their children proper firearm safety/respect... Their kids are also the ones killing themselves.

...Wait... Yes, I'm starting into a rant.... /Me exercises restraint... No preaching to the choir....

To put it simply, your mistaken.

We're simply the squeaky wheels, the vocal/visible cornerstones.