Where do you store your ammo?

Where do you store your ammo?

The only place I seem to have for storing it is in the garage. I would guess that the temperature swings in my garage, between summer and winter, are probably about 60 degrees - 35 to about 90 or 95 in the heat of the summer.

Is this too much? Humidity is not really a factor in my garage.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

You will have humidity, may not feel like it, but you do, that is unless you live in a desert area of N.C. I keep almost all mine down stairs in the basement, and even put them moisture things I buy at wally world in my safe for the humidity, and they fill up about every 4-5 months with water. Here lately, I've thought about using the food sealer to vacuum seal the ammo with a small disicant bag in each ammo bag, but don't know if that would work. The temp in our basement doesn't really swing alot, but there again, the highest part is 6' under ground and where the safe is located is a good 8' under, so the temp stays pretty good.

I store my loaded ammo reloads, factory, and bulk surplus in my shop/garage/shed (it's a little of each). It blocks the wind but not much more, temperature swings vary from -20 F to 100 F between winter and summer normally with the rare drop even lower or very rare increase above that range. Factory and surplus are stored in the containers they came in with a few exceptions which are stored just like the reloads. Reloads are stored either in the green plastic boxes sold by MTM or sealed 5-gallon buckets depending on quantity.

Dude - ammo is pretty hardy stuff it's not like you have to baby it all that much. In my opinion main problem is moisture and corrosion not temperature swing.

I keep mine in a storage room off site, but I doubt that it needs this level of care, I just keep it there with the bulk of my other stuff!

I vacuum seal ammo with no desiccant. I figure if it really vacuumed and sealed that good, moisture wouldn't be able to get in and there shouldn't be enough in there to do anything. Unless anybody has experience with this, I guess only time will tell . . .

I keep my ammo stored in a variety of ways. Military surplus gets sealed in old 50-cal ammo cans with a little bit of desiccant after the spam can is opened. I always test each can for a good seal before buying it. Any commercial ammunition meant for long-term storage (mostly steel-cased Wolf/Barnaul stuff) is stored the same way. Bulk-pack wallyworld .22s and birdshot are on a shelf in my closet, along with most of my pistol-caliber ammunition. The ammunition that is expensive or hard to replace goes in the safe. Any AP, pricier self-defense pistol rounds, or .50 AE, .50 BMG, 7.63 Mauser, 7.62 Nagant, and 5.7x28 get to sit in the safe. Reloads mostly sit on that shelf in the closet repacked in factory boxes written on in permanent marker, except the 9mm, which are stored loose in a .50cal ammo can with desiccant.

High temps are bad for ammo.

So is high humidity.

If you want the most/best from your ammo, keep it somewhere temps and humidity stay reasonably low and constant.

It will last a really long time of you do that.

I keep mine in a closet inside my air conditioned house.

• 2 weeks later...

Wherever I can find that is climate controlled and relatively dry.

The entire area under our king sized bed is stuffed with ammo cans and my closet floor and the utility closet floor as well.I read that ammo kept dry at 65 degrees and not jostled can last 100 years and corrosive ammo kept in this same manner could last as long as 300 years.

Ammo has quadrupled in price since I started buying in bulk and will continue to be a good investment if it's taken care of.

Buy some ammo cans and some desiccant packets and try to store it in a climate controlled area but I will officially state that an empty magazine is a waste.Load them all and store them loaded because it will just make a spur of the moment opportunity to shoot that much more likely.

Edited by SOPMOD
John O's ears can measure velocity and pressure.

WOW!!!!

And heat and moisture don't affect his magic reloaded ammo even after 20 years in a garage.

What a lucky guy.

It is a gift Star.

Here you will see other myths about storing ammo and possibly some corrections. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=24071

If I did not have first hand experience with this older crap, I would have nothing to say about it. You however state facts in the referred to post belonging more to black powder residue than to modern smokeless powder. Not really sure what you were thinking other than an interest to keep people safe in their ammo storage practices.

That is commendable.

• 2 months later...

All is kept in gun safes or cabinets in climate controlled areas. If its comfortable for me its good for the ammo. I do rotate it every few months so that im not shooting the new stuff and if we have to get any more careful than that I wont buy that ammo again. Heck ever see how how the VC stored ammo? Buried in a hole in the jungle so far hasn't been listed as recommended and it still went bang.

I picked up a couple Stanley FatMax watersealed toolboxes Im using for ammo with dessicant bags in em. Got em at the foot of my bed.

One full of cheep stuff for my S12 and the other for the good stuff, and handgun ammo. Got a bag I dump shells in loose for goin shootin.

Simple and functional.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep all mags loaded with ammo (agree would be a waste if not loaded). Other ammo is in the range bag sitting near the bed on the dresser.

Got 1 mag in the pistol and 1 mag in the x39.

Got my 4 other 30 round x39 mags at the 'ready', as Zombies come in all forms these days.. 022.gif

No kids, no visitors here in the 'ward'... hahaha

HMM.. not sure how I mistakenly double posted that one...

I have a couple of the "between the studs" safe. They are great for ammo, but a little shallow for weapons that have pistol grips or mags inserted. You could get 2 maybe 3 weapons in one. I made shelves and store ammo in mine.