Ammo ration

Ok so I'm doing a little bit of grocery shopping at wally world. I pick up a few things and make my way to the sporting goods section and ask for some ammo. I usually buy bulk packs of 00 buck that comes in a 15rd box but the counter person tells me alls they got is single 5rd boxes. So I'm like ok I'll take 8 boxes of 00buck and 2 boxes of slugs. He then informs me(in terrible english) that he can't sell me it. Of course this made me very angry since last I checked I do not live in soviet Russia and no retailer can refuse to sell me a product. I ask to speak to the manager since I could barely understand the counter person. He comes up and tells me they have a ammo rationing rule that has a limit of 6 boxes per customer. So is this guy serious or is it just in my local wally world? God this gots me so mad I'm never goin to shop at walmart ever again.

Same at all the Wallmarts near me, but it doesnt matter much since I havent seen 9mm or 7.62 or much else for over 6 months anyway, and Ive been checking several locations at least twice a week! They keep telling me it comes in, but sells instantly, so you have to be buddies with an employee in that department. Only thing any of them have anymore is shotgun shells.

Well...

When ya see someone come in and load a shopping cart with every box of the popular calibers in stock, then you do a double take, realizing that they are the owner of your local private gun store.

When some customer comes in and buys all 25 boxes of (insert caliber), that just came in that night.

Somebody cries foul to the store management and you get just such policies.

Thankfully, it doesn't appear to be a corporate policy, cause not all Wally Worlds have instituted it.

I walk in to my local WW and the regular counter clerks start pulling out whatever Winchester Super X 00/slug 15rnd value packs they have in stock, be it two, ten or twenty.

Same goes for 9mm. 357 & .45, tho I usually just get two or three of each of those... The wallet is not bottomless <_<

Edited by ChileRelleno

This happened to me as well, but I went back a week later and they didn't mention it. Don't understand that, but it has got to be a buddy thing in most cases. I went one week and tried to buy all the 15 round bonus packs they had and was limited to 6. Went the next week and they had like 30 boxes of 9mm about 10:45 pm. They wouldn't sell me anything at all because of some 10 pm policy. Went back the very next morning and bought 10 boxes of slugs but all the 9mm was gone. This was like 7 am the very next morning. All of this was the same wally world. Go figure.

Nobody noticed the ammo shortage that's been ongoing for the last 7 months?
Not overly, I get what I want/need fairly easily.

Some folks would rather bitch than shop around.

I honestly think that some folks just aren't willing to keep a eye on stock at multiple retailers, at both, storefront & online retailers.

I regularly (1-2 x weekly) check 2-3 Wally Worlds, 1 Academy Sports and 2 local gun stores, and (5-7 x weekly) 5 online retailers.

When something on my shopping list pops up, I buy it.

No, really? I had no idea. Who cares, you have ammo, I have money, you sell. That is what people are in business for. Who cares who buys it. This is one of my pet peeves. But I guess I am an evil hoarder. Nooooooo, I like to shoot my gun. :bag:

No, really? I had no idea. Who cares, you have ammo, I have money, you sell. That is what people are in business for. Who cares who buys it. This is one of my pet peeves. But I guess I am an evil hoarder. Nooooooo, I like to shoot my gun. :bag:

Is it possible to be both a hoarder :angel: and a shooter? :devil:

Cause, I sure as hell am both... Thousands of rounds stashed away and I still shoot several hundred rounds every other week.

...... and no retailer can refuse to sell me a product........

I got some news you may not like, any retailer can refuse to do business with you, that is part of freedom and the free market...... sorry.

And the rule is in place because there is not enough ammo and other stores were coming in to Walmarts, because Walmart decided not to put its party stick in your pooper and kept their prices low, those other stores were buying all of Walmarts stock, doubling its price and reselling it. Walmart chose to try and keep stock in and available to you at fair prices by blocking those who were able and willing to capitalize on the situation. This is capitalism and market forces at work.

What the hell are you all crying about? Your Wal-Mart sells BULK PACK slugs and 00 Buck?!??! The closest Wal-Mart (a Super center - the BIGGEST one in NE ) is 45 miles away from me and doesn't sell slugs or buckshot. They do have the 100 rd value-pak birdshit.

What the hell are you all crying about? Your Wal-Mart sells BULK PACK slugs and 00 Buck?!??! The closest Wal-Mart (a Super center - the BIGGEST one in NE ) is 45 miles away from me and doesn't sell slugs or buckshot. They do have the 100 rd value-pak birdshit.
I know your not referencing me, far from crying here... I haz ammo in quantity.

No, I'm just mad at my WalMart. I asked a couple of sales people about "value pack" slugs or 00 Buck and they gave me that patronizing Tsk Tsk look. I don't even think they know what a slug is! lol. I have to mail order everything. Sometimes it just gets on my nerves. I miss living in Houston. If I didn't have the internet here I would go completely insane. ( I've got about 1000 rds of 00 Buck, but need some slugs ).

Things are tough all over folks but really...

If you didn't stock up before the last election or after that PAY ATTENTION to ammo prices and availability...well I guess you're screwed.

And then have the audacity to Bitch.

In an Emergency any real Patriot can fill their magazine at my place or I'm sure many other folks' places.

I stocked up but didn't HOARD ammo for all my firearms.

But if you voted for Obama or didn't pay attention and just want ammo to 'Play with' you can kiss off.

Supply and Demand controls availability and prices. Get over it.

Just like everyone else, Walmart is trying to deal with a shortage caused by supply and demand being out of whack.

People have decided to hoard ammo for whatever reason (Obama, Hillary, Democrats etc) and it has caused the supply to deplete and the price to double or triple. As you know, you can never have too much ammo.

I would bet that supply will catch up with demand and there could even be a glut of ammo next year. If that happens, then the price will go down, maybe even lower that it was before.

Hi all,

I am in the same boat with wally world here. Could not buy ammo after 10pm and had to wait until 7am.

I was told by the manager that it was wally world corporate policy. Sooooooo I called the district

manager of wally world and guess what no such corporate policy exists. He did make a mention that there were

some special rules for illinois state but none other. Now then this district guy told me he was appaled

that sales from 10pm to 7am were being refused as you see wally world sales (according to him) had

reduced significantly. I live in SC so you need to check your local area. I will be going to wally world

on monday and try and purchase ammo after 10pm of course as I do not get off work until midnite.

I was assured that the problem would be solved. Will see.

I repeat no corp policy exists about the 10pm to 7am no purchase of ammo. if the store is open and

they have and you want they should sell. If not start calling district as well as corporate. It does seem to

work.

beagle12

00 buck at Wal Mart? WTF.... since I bought my S12 they've never had anything in the bulk packs EXCEPT slugs. I've been looking since November, the only place I've bought 00 buckshot is online.

BTW - the two Wal Mart's near me have the same policy about rationing ammo....

The Wal-Mart supercenter near me just eased their policy from 4 boxes to 6 at a time.

The only thing I can ever find are slugs (sometimes in the value packs) or bird shot. The range I go to most often only allows slugs, so I guess that works.

I have ordered online when I find a good deal that makes it worth my while, otherwise I wait and get my 00 from the gun show. The guy I go to sells it for $.90 a round :unsure: in a ammo can of 100 rounds.

Gun prices have been dropping, and I hope to see the same thing happen with ammo soon.

Dang... Y'all are making me feel blessed.

No rationing, no weird hours, regular stock of Winchester Super X 15 rnd value packs in both 00 & slugs, aisles full of 100rnd birdshitz, aisle endcaps piled with 550rnd boxes of 22lr.

But, pistol & rifle ammo is hit & miss, a roll of the dice, but when its there, no rationing.

Could it be that your local and/or state laws regulate ammo sales after 10pm?

I pretty much learned my lesson. I was just caught off guard by this types of rationing, but it does make sense that they would do this to prevent mass buying from one person. Guess I'll start paying $3 more per box from the local gun shop. /endrant

I have several Walmarts within a decent distance in my area. I was specifically looking for 20 gauge 2-3/4" slugs to sight my new 20 gauge in. The Walmart closest to me and the 2nd Walmart I stopped at didn't have any. The one in Cranberry had 12 boxes of the bulk pack or 180 rounds. I bought them all with no problems at all. Go figure.... :super:

Wall Mart is a ball less corporate cop out. Around here they do not carry guns or ammunition. The County prosecutor asked them and they quit selling it.

Is the Wally world near you NEXT??

Wall Mart is a ball less corporate cop out. Around here they do not carry guns or ammunition. The County prosecutor asked them and they quit selling it.

Are you referring to ME?

If so , the Wally world near me very well could be NEXT...... All I know is I have been to Walmarts at Grove City, Butler, Hermitage, Cranberry Township and Cranberry up on 322 and I have never been rationed. I walk out of Walmart's all the time with 1 or 2 big bag fulls of ammo.

I feel for ya and I have heard of Walmart rationing ammo before... Usually it is out East or Central PA. Rationing ammo sucks.

Wal-mart in Omaha, NE is doing the same thing. Irritating policy, but understandable. There's no doubt they have the right to do so, businesses in this country have the right to refuse service. Somebody being an asshole in your store? You aren't legally required to do business with them. That's reasonable. even if it means shitty limits on purchases. Oh well.

Probably not, since I live in western CO. I see you're in MD, so unfortunately, your local prosecutor working to subvert the 2nd Amendment by any means possible doesn't suprise me.

Dang... Y'all are making me feel blessed.

No rationing, no weird hours, regular stock of Winchester Super X 15 rnd value packs in both 00 & slugs, aisles full of 100rnd birdshitz, aisle endcaps piled with 550rnd boxes of 22lr.

But, pistol & rifle ammo is hit & miss, a roll of the dice, but when its there, no rationing.

Could it be that your local and/or state laws regulate ammo sales after 10pm?

where in Alabama? nothing in Northern Al

I've seen people in walmart buying ammo and reselling it in their own gun stores for 2x the price. I'm GLAD they have a 6 box max. I found 4 boxes of WWB 100rd .45ACP that I picked up and traded for .40S&W.

If not for the rationing, it "surly" wouldn't have been there.