Ammo ration

I've seen people in walmart buying ammo and reselling it in their own gun stores for 2x the price. I'm GLAD they have a 6 box max. I found 4 boxes of WWB 100rd .45ACP that I picked up and traded for .40S&W.

If not for the rationing, it "surly" wouldn't have been there.

Where and what you find at wally world is strange. I take it you can't find .40. Here .40 is everywhere. No .45's though. I was in Fl. a couple of weeks ago and they had bulk pack slugs and 00 buck aplenty. Also no 9mm around here. Found it in fl. wallyworld though. Strange.

Ok so I'm doing a little bit of grocery shopping at wally world. I pick up a few things and make my way to the sporting goods section and ask for some ammo. I usually buy bulk packs of 00 buck that comes in a 15rd box but the counter person tells me alls they got is single 5rd boxes. So I'm like ok I'll take 8 boxes of 00buck and 2 boxes of slugs. He then informs me(in terrible english) that he can't sell me it. Of course this made me very angry since last I checked I do not live in soviet Russia and no retailer can refuse to sell me a product. I ask to speak to the manager since I could barely understand the counter person. He comes up and tells me they have a ammo rationing rule that has a limit of 6 boxes per customer. So is this guy serious or is it just in my local wally world? God this gots me so mad I'm never goin to shop at walmart ever again.

OK, so with all this talk about Walmart, I went to my nearest Wally here in CO north of Denver. Got some #00

and slugs and just to see if there was a limit, I took all 25 boxes on the shelf. No problem, laid down my money

and took it home.

Now for the real story. I got to know someone at a K mart. K mart is doing away with all ammo. You won't believe

what I was paying for some shotgun shells. I got 36 five rnd boxes of #00 winchester super x for 50 cents a box.

That's no typo, 50 CENTS A BOX! I was getting 25 rnd boxes of birdshot for $4 a box!! This is all 12 guage.

Bought all I could until they sent what was left back. Some K marts still have ammo left but they don't put it out

on the floor. You have to ask. I made out like a bandit, shotgun shells at real wholesale prices.

My wifes worked at WalMart for over 20 years now so i get the scoop on most everything.Speaking for just the stores in my area there isnt rationing so much,but they only put out so much at a time of the fast selling stuff.."when they get it".Why, because the local sporting goods store manager comes in (He knows the day they get it in) and buys it all up and raises the price 30-40% on his shelves,and its the only other place around to buy ammo.Normaly if you go in and ask kindly if theres another "box or two" in the back they will give it to you,again..thats if they got it and what store you visit,and whos behind the counter!...there just not able to get much ammo right now.

I went to wally world today on an ammo check, and they tried the 6 box limit with me on some shotgun shells. The sign is clearly posted about the 6 box limit, but it references handgun and rifle ammunition only. Shotgun shells are exempt. That is the official policy.

It's hard to get ammo at Wal Mart or any other outlets. They sell out the ammo the minute it comes in and you have to time it right. They stopped carrying guns in many stores and the ammo guy told me that it's because they can't squeeze the gun makers to lower their prices the way they squeeze their other suppliers. (auto makers do the same thing to their suppliers). They don't limit sales here in the Southern Ohio area but they sell it fast because of the DemonRats wanting to disarm us or tax ammo thru the roof.

Dang... Y'all are making me feel blessed.

No rationing, no weird hours, regular stock of Winchester Super X 15 rnd value packs in both 00 & slugs, aisles full of 100rnd birdshitz, aisle endcaps piled with 550rnd boxes of 22lr.

But, pistol & rifle ammo is hit & miss, a roll of the dice, but when its there, no rationing.

Could it be that your local and/or state laws regulate ammo sales after 10pm?

where in Alabama? nothing in Northern Al

I'm in LA, that is to say, Mobile.

Here in Kalifornia, Walmart, my local gun store chain (Turners) and my local sporting goods store (Big 5) are all hurting for ammo. I check by about once every two weeks. However, I have a local gun shop that specializes in quality reloads that seem to have about everything I need. Bought 50rnds of .308 and there were cases of 100rnds left when I was there last as well as all sorts of other calibers including 12ga. They even had crates of that Egyptian 7.62x39. Basically you just gotta look around. Someones got to have ammo available for sale.

I haven't seen 147gr 9mm in 4 months or so. This is pretty bad.

147gr 9mm is in IMO, really over rated :wacko: This is not just my opinion, research it for yourself.

Best bang for your buck is a good 124-125gr +P,, Cor-Bon Self defense or Speer Gold Dot are good, I use the Speer.

Some will even say the Cor-Bon 115gr +P is better than the heavier 125gr, due to its ballistics.

Bigger is not always better.

Edited by ChileRelleno
I am not happy about it, but it is their ammo and they can choose to sell as much or little of it as they like.
Agreed^

I haven't been shooting my pistols much since I don't want to pay gouged prices since the election. What goes up must come down. Shotgun buck has gotten a bit low on supply, but I find it. At least shells haven't gone up much/any in price.

As for WalMart, they suck. I'm not there much since ammo is about the only thing they sell that's not made in China. I like for my paychecks to go far, but not across the ocean lol. I can usually find shotgun shells, 9mm, and 22LR there, though. Pistol 45, 380, etc are hard to get and sell out fast, but just call sporting goods dept and ask.

The wally world were I live only has the unpopular ammo left. All the popular calibers are gone every time I go there. About the rationing i have also noticed this at the local Academy outdoors store. You are limited but only on handgun ammo. I think it's 5 boxes. They had a whole mess of 7.62X39 ammo one day then I come the next day and its all gone. So it's basically hit or miss around around here too.

I am not happy about it, but it is their ammo and they can choose to sell as much or little of it as they like.
Agreed^

I haven't been shooting my pistols much since I don't want to pay gouged prices since the election. What goes up must come down. Shotgun buck has gotten a bit low on supply, but I find it. At least shells haven't gone up much/any in price.

As for WalMart, they suck. I'm not there much since ammo is about the only thing they sell that's not made in China. I like for my paychecks to go far, but not across the ocean lol. I can usually find shotgun shells, 9mm, and 22LR there, though. Pistol 45, 380, etc are hard to get and sell out fast, but just call sporting goods dept and ask.

Just wondering, where is it you shop? Because i cant think of a store that doesnt sell mostly China stuff.Walmart sells pretty much the same stuff as any other retail store does :rolleyes:

...As for WalMart, they suck. I'm not there much since ammo is about the only thing they sell that's not made in China...
Just wondering, where is it you shop? Because i cant think of a store that doesnt sell mostly China stuff.Walmart sells pretty much the same stuff as any other retail store does :rolleyes:

Local stores instead of big corporate chains, mostly...

Local grocers, clothing, and home furnishing places instead of China Mart or KMart, etc.

ACE hardware or lawn and garden stores instead of Home Depot.

Local sporting goods instead of Dicks.

If you can't find specific stuff in your area, you can also find lots of stuff online that's US-based selling US products.

You are right that some foreign stuff will be unavoidable, but you'd be suprised how much more made in USA stuff most of the locals shops have. As far as price, I'll gladly pay 5% higher prices to get better service/product and support my local and national economy instead of some sweat shop in China or Taiwan.

Edited by slyguy