Krebs S12 Sights

I got Krebs S12 sights yesterday that I ordered only a few days ago, awesome fast shipping...

I put them on my S12 and got the front tower lined up and everything, and after knocking out the factory rear sight I was able to (very easily) push the Krebs ghost ring sight in with my thumb. I went in easy enough that I was pretty sure that it would fall out at the most inopportune moment...

Quick video of my rear sights looseness

th_SS852942.jpg

So I did a search here looking for an answer to my problem and I came up with epoxy, loctight, peening the dovetail...nothing that I wanted to do.

I noticed (that on my sight atleast) there is a threaded hole in the base, so I took the sight with me to ACE hardware today and found that a 10-24x1/4" set screw fit in there nicely...so I bought 2 of them in the stainless steel variety. ($.40 each)

The base of my Krebs rear sight, set screw and shortened allen wrench. You can see the threaded hole in the base of the sight.

SS852934.jpg

Base of sight with set screw inserted.

SS852941.jpg

Because a normal allen wrench wouldn't fit inside the ghost ring to tighten the set screw down, I then cut the short leg of the appropriate size (5/32?) allen wrench with a triangular file to where it would fit inside the ring and squared up the shortened leg with the same file.

And the rest was gravy...thread set screw in hole, set sight in dovetail, tighten set screw with moded allen wrench and now my rear sight is rock solid but is still easy enough to adjust for windage or remove if necessary.

Tightening the set screw.

SS852944.jpg

SS852945.jpg

I hope this helps someone and forgive me if this has already been covered elsewhere.

Edited by Barnett3006
I would like to see a pic... I never had this problem with my krebs sights, but i would like to see your solution.

Sure thing! The wife has the camera right now and she is off visiting her folks so when she gets back I will post pics ASAP.

Wow, I have now installed the Krebs three times, and always had to pound it in with a BIG hammer with the gun on a solid surface!

Same here. My rear sight required many hammer/punch blows before it was positioned correctly. I think Barnett3006's experience is far from the norm.

I wasn't aware the Krebs had that threaded hole. I don't have a Krebs though. Did you order right from Krebs?

Sorry Corbin I didn't see your question earlier...yes I ordered my sights directly from Krebs website.

Got my Krebs a couple of weeks ago, and yup, there is a threaded hole in the base. Never noticed it until your post. Mine was still a fairly tight fit, so I believe I'll have to stick to the hammer and punch method for now. Think I'll buy some set screws just in case though...:)

Edited by Jpanzer

Ive been using my PKAS-V on my S12 but I think I'm more comfortable with irons for my shotgun. I've heard some good things about kerb's sights but there are a few alternatives such as HK sights and Dinzags similar product. Any recommendations?

Edited by XXasdf
Ive been using my PKAS-V on my S12 but I think I'm more comfortable with irons for my shotgun. I've heard some good things about kerb's sights but there are a few alternatives such as HK sights and Dinzags similar product. Any recommendations?

All three work very well. Both HK and Dinzag's sights require gunsmithing/welding. Krebs S-12 sights can be installed in a few minutes with nothing but hand tools.

The Krebs sights are also less expensive than those other two options. For me, the choice was easy. I went with the Krebs sights.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Wow+

Again, mine required some exertion to install, much tighter than your average prom date :devil:

Nice solution, I saw that threaded hole when I inspected my new Krebs.

XXasdf,

I've only used the original sights and Krebs.

I can compare to my other guns equipped with ghost ring sights, and say, "Krebs Rock!"

Best bang for your buck, ease of install & functionality is great.

Super fast target acquisition, excellent sight picture and accurate.

I shoot alot of slugs and absolutely decimate 10" 'Shoot-n-C' targets at 50+ yrds, with most shots inside 6".

The HK sights are really nice since you can have a compact setup for SBSs, if that's what you're looking for. The Dinzag and Krebs offer a longer sight radius and should be a tad more accurate, although we're talking shotguns here so that's not its major strong point anyway. As was mentioned, the Dinzag and the HK require welding and/or work from the manufacturer. The Krebs do not.

There's another alternative that should be coming shortly, but at this point I can't really say a whole lot about them until the manufacturer (a forum business member) officially announces them. I'm just field testing the prototype. They're DIY, much like the Krebs. They are adjustable and can use the existing rear sight. I don't know if an alternate rear sight will be offered for them, but that's not up to me. You can see them a little in my signature picture below.

Corbin

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to order the Krebs but will wait based on your comment about new sights. Any more info on them?

The HK sights are really nice since you can have a compact setup for SBSs, if that's what you're looking for. The Dinzag and Krebs offer a longer sight radius and should be a tad more accurate, although we're talking shotguns here so that's not its major strong point anyway. As was mentioned, the Dinzag and the HK require welding and/or work from the manufacturer. The Krebs do not.

There's another alternative that should be coming shortly, but at this point I can't really say a whole lot about them until the manufacturer (a forum business member) officially announces them. I'm just field testing the prototype. They're DIY, much like the Krebs. They are adjustable and can use the existing rear sight. I don't know if an alternate rear sight will be offered for them, but that's not up to me. You can see them a little in my signature picture below.

Corbin

I have nothing bad to say about the Krebs sights. They offer a great sight picture and the folks at Krebs are top of the line to deal with. They're not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for.

At this point, I'm not sure when the new FSB will be announced. I was just the guy that beta tested the prototype and offered suggestions on improvements. I can't imagine it'll be too long, but again, that's not up to me.

What I CAN tell you is that they slide onto the barrel and lock in place without marring the finish (no set screw into the bottom of the barrel). They can be placed anywhere along the length of the barrel (same as the Krebs) and they use an AR-15 front sight post. I'm not sure if it's moly coated or anodized or what.

No clue on price either. That's not up to me.

Sorry.

I have nothing bad to say about the Krebs sights. They offer a great sight picture and the folks at Krebs are top of the line to deal with. They're not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for.

At this point, I'm not sure when the new FSB will be announced. I was just the guy that beta tested the prototype and offered suggestions on improvements. I can't imagine it'll be too long, but again, that's not up to me.

What I CAN tell you is that they slide onto the barrel and lock in place without marring the finish (no set screw into the bottom of the barrel). They can be placed anywhere along the length of the barrel (same as the Krebs) and they use an AR-15 front sight post. I'm not sure if it's moly coated or anodized or what.

No clue on price either. That's not up to me.

Sorry.

Do they have a windage adjustment?

The prototype I got did not have a windage adjustment except to very slightly rotate the FSB to the left or right. We're talking less than a mm to change the point of impact. What I did was take a tailor's measuring tape (cloth or plastic tape style) and tape a loop of it around the barrel with the mm marks against the back of the FSB. There's a split in the base on the underside where you tighten the screws down to secure it on your barrel.

Just take note of where the line is in correlation to the tape, loosen up the 3 screws slightly and rotate it 1/2 a mm or so the opposite direction from where you want the slug to go.

Corbin

Do they have a windage adjustment?
What I did was take a tailor's measuring tape (cloth or plastic tape style) and tape a loop of it around the barrel with the mm marks against the back of the FSB. There's a split in the base on the underside where you tighten the screws down to secure it on your barrel.

Just take note of where the line is in correlation to the tape, loosen up the 3 screws slightly and rotate it 1/2 a mm or so the opposite direction from where you want the slug to go.

Corbin

Cool idea! To sight in my Krebs on my first gun I just shot slugs from a rest and made "blind adjustments". On my second gun I never even sighted it in. I just eyeballed it and discovered I could dust clay with it with the polychoke on X-Full.