HK sight question

You just cut the middle loop and weld it on.

GasPlug1.jpg

The H&K sight is only .800 + or - a few thousands

The saiga gas block is 1.00 it won't fit properly

You can machine or use drum sanding rolls to fit to the larger radius

It's already cut, the radius is too small, have to try the drum sanding metheod on a drill press as I don't have the machining equipment. Just wondering if guys were heating and forming as opposed to milling/sanding it out.

I looked a just cutting it to fit, but the base would be pretty thin afterwards.

As Bob said, they're pretty malleable. Tony might have a die, I don't know. When I formed it, it didn't match exactly, so I then finished cut it to fit. Still pretty thick that way.

You just gotta be careful forming it, not to crush the top loop.

I looked a just cutting it to fit, but the base would be pretty thin afterwards.

As Bob said, they're pretty malleable. Tony might have a die, I don't know. When I formed it, it didn't match exactly, so I then finished cut it to fit. Still pretty thick that way.

I made a mandrel to fit inside of loop to keep from deforming but found taking off more material on the side and machining radius to fit seemed to look better

post-8026-1245187114_thumb.jpg

Beautiful Welding job on there...

So, since this is so mallable and it was discussed not to crush the loop, are you guys beating it on the gas block to form it? It looks like it will be pretty thin if I mill/sand out to 1 inch on the inside.

I sanded out some material from the inside bottom with a flexible 1" belt sander, worked like a beauty,..the "legs are maleable and I used a vice and a small hammer to bend them slightly also., then I welded it on off to one side, and had to cut it off, and re-weld it center, seemed pretty forgiving, I used a laser bore sighter to insure proper alignment,...

I sanded out some material from the inside bottom with a flexible 1" belt sander, worked like a beauty,..the "legs are maleable and I used a vice and a small hammer to bend them slightly also., then I welded it on off to one side, and had to cut it off, and re-weld it center, seemed pretty forgiving, I used a laser bore sighter to insure proper alignment,...

Did you bend the legs out a bit before sanding out the center? I'm just concerned there isn't enough of the leg thickness to take much material away from the inside.

Also I read in another thread about the front sight needing to be shortened on rifles. From the pics of the HK on a shotty, it doesn't appear to be shortened. Anyone shortening these for a S12? If so, are you just cutting some off the post or are you grinding more off the base?

Also I read in another thread about the front sight needing to be shortened on rifles. From the pics of the HK on a shotty, it doesn't appear to be shortened. Anyone shortening these for a S12? If so, are you just cutting some off the post or are you grinding more off the base?

Modify radius up to existing bore. Check with lazer bore sight and it works out great. fine tune if required with post.

hope this helps :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

MT, How do plan on welding the sights on?? I think most people use a TIG welder. I have been wondering if silver solder would work. (I don't have a TIG welder).

My H&K sights are both, front and rear, silver soldered. They are solid as a rock, and silver soldering allows easy re-doing it if it needs to be removed or re-fastened for any reason. If done properly, once silver soldered, the sights aren't going anywhere. It's also a lot easier for someone not skilled in welding.

BTW, if using H&K sights, be sure to remove the rear sight from the base before silver soldering, then reinstalling it after finishing.

Edited by StarPD

MT, How do plan on welding the sights on?? I think most people use a TIG welder. I have been wondering if silver solder would work. (I don't have a TIG welder).

My H&K sights are both, front and rear, silver soldered. They are solid as a rock, and silver soldering allows easy re-doing it if it needs to be removed or re-fastened for any reason. If done properly, once silver soldered, the sights aren't going anywhere. It's also a lot easier for someone not skilled in welding.

BTW, if using H&K sights, be sure to remove the rear sight from the base before silver soldering, then reinstalling it after finishing.

Star PD Thanks for the information I'll give it a try.