Hmm, didja ever think that IMR 800X might be a tad too fast for that application (hence the lack of load data for that particular bullet weight?). :unsure:

Handloads.com does have .44 Mag 300 gr. loading data listed (no 800X though). Might want to pick up another more suitable brand of powder of you really want to use those bullets.

I wouldn't use 800X for any 44 mag loads. Just fill up the case as far as possible with H110 and put the bullet on top.

If you can get the bullet in the case and still have an OAL that will fit in the cylinder, you're good to go.

Tony

• 1 month later...

I shoot a Marlin 1894 as well. I find that 18.5 grains of H110 or Alliance 2400 works great with the cast lead 300 gr bullet.I get great accuracy at aprox. 1350 fps. Same powders with 240 gr. bullet is 19.5 grains. I've been loading this round for 12 years now. I shoot those babys through my pistol as well. I found that hollow points are far less accurate. For hunting, expansion on a bullet of such a large diameter bullet is not really needed. I have taken deer with the 300 gr. lead and 240 gr. JSP. Both work great. theory is that a hole that is .44 is big enough, and you want as much energy as possible to carry the bullet through the animal. I carry the 300 gr. lead bullets for elk or moose.

post-16191-1249006758_thumb.jpg

If the bullets are lead, you'll probably want to keep velocity down around 1100 fps or less to keep from leading up the barrel. The trouble with H110 is that it's full-throttle or nothing and a full load will probably move that bullet around 1300fps. The load manuals carry warnings about reducing H110 loads. So, H110 is for jacketed bullets.

So, if you're going to buy powder, get something that can be loaded to reduced levels. I'd look for some Alliant 2400 or maybe some Blue Dot.

My Lee manual shows 13.5 grains of 2400 will send a 310 gr. lead bullet out the muzzle at 1150 fps. The reduced load given is 12.2 grains, but velocity isn't shown. You should be able to go lower yet as I've never heard of any trouble reducing 2400. To stay away from leading, I'd probably go down to an 11 grain load. Just make sure to use magnum primers.

Blue Dot might be easier to find than 2400. Starting load is 9.6 grains. Max is 10.7 grains with velocity of 1110fps. This with 310 grain lead bullet.

With 800X, I'd load a few rounds with around 8 grains, see how they pop and go from there. That's almost light enough to be a .44 Special load. What you're really looking for is a safe starting point and the faster powders like 800X can be reduced without problems.

Edited by 555JM