Anyone use Tapco Galil handgaurd??

Ok, so the handguard I want to use requires an $80 retainer and a new $30 tube, I got looking for stocks that are designed to work with saigas. Don't want another guard covered in rails (my other one has a quad rail on it) and I got looking at the Tapco Galil for the saigas.... yeah, tapco makes shitty stocks, but they make decent FCG's, so how are their hand guards??

They work VERY well! I put a heat shield in mine that I had on my 223 I converted. Cooler than the factory handguard. My only advice is to "rough up" the inside of the Tapco retainer where it goes around the barrel, and the barrel area under it. In increases friction dramatically and keeps it from moving. It is a good option if you don't have to have the 103 look.

Saiga1.jpg

The Saiga Galil hand guard is probably a decent piece. I ordered the wrong one (AK version) and mocked it up on mine and did not like the feel of it so decided to stay with the factory Saiga hand guard. For me it just felt wrong but the only way to tell is to hold one yourself. It's the most affordable way to go if you have to make the change. I drilled holes in the factory one and am very happy so far.

I had one on my Saiga for about 5 minutes and took it right off, hated it, was too fat and too short, didn't fit my hand well. I bought the SureFire Mags tri-rail instead (SGM Tactical Tri-Rail) and I think it's a much better option....for me at least. Some people love the Tapco Galil handguard, just doesn't fit me. I have no other problems with the other Tapco stuff I own.

I really like the look of the Galil handguard. It gives it a bit of a more "classic" AK look while still pulling off the slightly more sophisticated black composite lool. I like black :devil:

It's also very easy to put on, sturdy (I've put 300 rounds through mine with 0 issues as far as coming loose), and it's got a convenient little place to attach your sling. I'm a fan, especially for the money.

that and I saw in the review section of another site that the thing gets too hot to handle after around 200 rds.... anyone else notice this and how bad are we talking?

Yes and No. Yes it does get hot after 200 rounds. Few handguards in my experience stay as cool as the K-Var AK103 handguard with stainless steel heat shield. On my Tapco, I took a handguard liner from an M4 handguard, trimmed it a little, and it fit down in. It worked pretty well. In fact, it was almost as good as my K-Var. I heard of someone taking the duct work metal, and making a two layer with an air gap. That would work even better.

sweet.... one question, how wide is the spot for your hand? I've got quite large hands and worry about it if people are saying it's small

They are of course shorter then the factory handguard, but I have huge hands and there is plenty there for me to grab on.

I like mine

nice! I like the look, was worried about it getting hot and staying put on the rifle. Doubt I'll rapid fire 200rds anytime much less anytime soon as I'm trying to conserve ammo so heat might not be a problem.... anything have anything else to add positive or negative? debating between this and the AK103 set from K-Var. The K-Var one is my first choice but money is tight and the retainer and tube I'd need to be able to use the KVar one is more expensive than this guard

If you can get your hands on a heatsheild from an M4 or CAR15, they almost fit. Otherwise Cut a rectangle of Aluminum ductwork (buy at home depot) the length of the inside of the Tapco handguard, form it into a U shape around the barrel, just resting against the inside of the handguard with the barrel running through the middle, and trim the top edges to where they just touch the Galil hnadguard top cover. This leaves the upper (open top of the trough) for the heat to reflect upwards. If there is a shinier side, face that to the barrel.

Ok, so the handguard I want to use requires an $80 retainer and a new $30 tube, I got looking for stocks that are designed to work with saigas. Don't want another guard covered in rails (my other one has a quad rail on it) and I got looking at the Tapco Galil for the saigas.... yeah, tapco makes shitty stocks, but they make decent FCG's, so how are their hand guards??

Personally, I like the Tapco Galil! It's very comfortable, for my hands. I've had 0 issues with it coming loose, and I've never had a problem with it overheating. It's not uncommon for me to go shooting in 95-105 degree F weather (Texas is hottttt), and it's not an issue at all. I'd recommend this piece any day :]

I needed another US part and as much as I like the Saiga handguard, I decided to replace it. I thought I ordered the Galil style handguard from DPH. My package arrived yesterday.

To my surprise, the handguard didn't look anything like the one on the website. Actually, I like this one better. It's thinner and looks more modern than the Galil. The top is open and allows for cooling. There are 3 accessory mounts and a sling attachment. It mounted very easily and it appears to be a solid attachment. I'd recommend it as an alternative. $49

post-18034-1245762331_thumb.jpg

I needed another US part and as much as I like the Saiga handguard, I decided to replace it. I thought I ordered the Galil style handguard from DPH. My package arrived yesterday.

To my surprise, the handguard didn't look anything like the one on the website. Actually, I like this one better. It's thinner and looks more modern than the Galil. The top is open and allows for cooling. There are 3 accessory mounts and a sling attachment. It mounted very easily and it appears to be a solid attachment. I'd recommend it as an alternative. $49

post-18034-1245762331_thumb.jpg

I do have to admit, that's pretty neat. You can't go wrong with too many rails! You never know what you might want to add to your rifle later on :]

My Tapco infusion hand guard was a great addition but I quickly found its lack of a heat shield concerning. Lot of space in there so I used a thin strip of foil covered insulation under the barrel. This stuff is common and almost free. Heat deflects upward to vents and hand guard stays much cooler after rapid fire session. Added a strip of aluminum shim stock that just wedges in under barrel but haven't tested that yet.

Great hand guard now, nice heavy sling swivel, looks good, adds up to three rails, adds to the US count, and didn't cost a fortune. After adding Mojo sights the guns finished.